• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Bulge

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The P5 is a beautiful vehicle except for the ugly bulging exhaust. I assumed regulations required the exhaust come out the back, but the above posts indicate this is not true. The exhaust can exit at the front of the vehicle.

Elio Motors should poll its reservationist, providing two CAD drawings of what the vehicle looks like with front and rear exhaust, and ask which one they prefer.. The two CAD drawings would show the exhaust exit in the rear with the bulge, and also show the exhaust exit close to the front with no bulge, restoring the body lines.

Because the Elio is roughly half as wide, there is not enough room to route the exhaust that way...unless it was on the outside of the body.
I think the P-5 exhaust setup looks kind of retro motorcycle. :cool: Running it all the way to the back will also keep the sound level down.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio Motors should move the exhaust to the same location and get rid of the bulge!
Ever hear of a tuned exhaust? You have to have an exhaust pipe a certain length "tuned" for the motor. They are looking for optimum performance to meet the 84mpg.
Not related to this, but a cool sound story;
We had a 75 Ford Shorty van as a shop truck when I worked for NW Vans in 76; we put headers on that 351 Cleveland then ran 2 1/2" pipe from the headers to a flow through muffler then to the back axle, then forward to the front (even with the headers) and adapter to 3" pipe that ran down the outside to just in front of the rear wheels; bologna cut; all flat black on the 3". That truck sounded awesome! You could run it at freeway speed all day, and those pipes stayed cool. This was the bosses idea; I asked why and he asked me if I ever followed a really long school bus; same sound, but no "blatttttt" because of the 2 U turns.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how to circle, but it's hard to miss in this photo: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...CFBA1!5416&parId=66C8BD49AECFBA1!5393&o=OneUp
Thanks!! Now I see what you guys are talking about. Looks fine to me. I think each has there own things they care about, and things they don't. That gas tank door above is what I don't like. lol.

It looks like to me (comparing pictures) they made both sides the same. I wonder how easy it would be replacing the exhaust when its time.

John-b-gone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ever hear of a tuned exhaust? You have to have an exhaust pipe a certain length "tuned" for the motor. They are looking for optimum performance to meet the 84mpg.
Not related to this, but a cool sound story;
We had a 75 Ford Shorty van as a shop truck when I worked for NW Vans in 76; we put headers on that 351 Cleveland then ran 2 1/2" pipe from the headers to a flow through muffler then to the back axle, then forward to the front (even with the headers) and adapter to 3" pipe that ran down the outside to just in front of the rear wheels; bologna cut; all flat black on the 3". That truck sounded awesome! You could run it at freeway speed all day, and those pipes stayed cool. This was the bosses idea; I asked why and he asked me if I ever followed a really long school bus; same sound, but no "blatttttt" because of the 2 U turns.
On the VW bugs they used to call them extractors because it was said to pull the exhaust out thus re-leaving back pressure.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't find the picture now, but I saw the bulge from the back, and it appeared to be a removeable pannel so you can access the pipe along the entrie length. If you can do that, then you could chose to leave it off.

I don't like the bulge much, but I don't mind it either. If it gets my Elio on the road and close to all targets, I'm OK with it.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because the Elio is roughly half as wide, there is not enough room to route the exhaust that way...unless it was on the outside of the body.
I think the P-5 exhaust setup looks kind of retro motorcycle. :cool: Running it all the way to the back will also keep the sound level down.
I think the Elgin dash looks kind of retro too so they balance each other out unless you don't like either.

The bulge only looks bulgy from a certain angle, otherwise it follows the lines of the vehicle. Doesn't look bad from the rear either and maybe it should be treated as a chromed motorcycle exhaust accent.
image.jpeg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the Elgin dash looks kind of retro too so they balance each other out unless you don't like either.

The bulge only looks bulgy from a certain angle, otherwise it follows the lines of the vehicle. Doesn't look bad from the rear either and maybe it should be like a chrome motorcycle exhaust accent.
View attachment 7588
Yes, that's the one, notice the separation line? That's a panel for access. I'm very glad it's accessible.
It may be a bit prettier, with the panel off., Then it would be easier to chose a shorter pipe too if you like.

Top Bottom