• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Bulge

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see a cutaway drawing showing what is beneath. Looks like there is a seam. Looks like screw heads may are sticking down on the bottom of it. I believe it is two parts consisting of the body and the cover. The exhaust pipe must be replaceable and the only way I can see this happening is to remove the cover, replace the exhaust pipe, and reinstall the cover.

(I first typed "I would like to see what is inside that big bulge," Then I stopped and thought to myself: No, not with this crowd, I don't dare type that!)

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, that's the one, notice the separation line? That's a panel for access. I'm very glad it's accessible.
It may be a bit prettier, with the panel off., Then it would be easier to chose a shorter pipe too if you like.
You beat me to it.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
(I first typed "I would like to see what is inside that big bulge," Then I stopped and thought to myself: No, not with this crowd, I don't dare type that!)
Really enjoy reading all the post and fun we all have. I kind of wonder, when it comes out, if people will still be posting, or the forum will die after the newity of the Elio wears off.

John-b-gone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't find the picture now, but I saw the bulge from the back, and it appeared to be a removeable pannel so you can access the pipe along the entrie length. If you can do that, then you could chose to leave it off.

I don't like the bulge much, but I don't mind it either. If it gets my Elio on the road and close to all targets, I'm OK with it.
Sorry I don't see said panel. If you zoom in/scroll wheel in on this HD photo I see no seam. Maybe you can access the tail pipe tunnel from the bottom. https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...CFBA1!5416&parId=66C8BD49AECFBA1!5393&o=OneUp

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The P5 is a beautiful vehicle except for the ugly bulging exhaust. I assumed regulations required the exhaust come out the back, but the above posts indicate this is not true. The exhaust can exit at the front of the vehicle.

Elio Motors should poll its reservationist, providing two CAD drawings of what the vehicle looks like with front and rear exhaust, and ask which one they prefer.. The two CAD drawings would show the exhaust exit in the rear with the bulge, and also show the exhaust exit close to the front with no bulge, restoring the body lines.
... Or, they could just let you take off the cover panel and put on the optional chrome 427SC cobra style exhaust on there. Keep the exhaust hidden... For now.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry I don't see said panel. If you zoom in/scroll wheel in on this HD photo I see no seam. Maybe you can access the tail pipe tunnel from the bottom. https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...CFBA1!5416&parId=66C8BD49AECFBA1!5393&o=OneUp
The exhaust pipe goes along the side, inside a larger tunnel we're calling the bulge. In the image below I circled it in blue. The seam, or panel edge, is a dark line, which I marked with yellow arrows, starting where it appears, down to where it disappears.
Bulge.jpeg

Top Bottom