• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Delay To 2017 And Beyond

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. There won't be any crash test results to file with the government, unless the Autocycle bill passes and requires it (the Elio is a motorcycle right now, not a car). But I suspect (hope?) results are sent to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety to hopefully get rated by them, which should help drive the cost to insure an Elio. Insurance has been an open ended question all along, but at some point the insurance companies will need to set rates based on something, and I'd hope these crash tests would be a big part of the something.
Yeah. You can bet weight, likelihood of doing damage (and amount), likelihood of sustaining damage, and the vehicles' ability to avoid accidents will have a lot to do with how much insurance will cost. I mean really, how much can a $7,000 1,200 pound car cost to ensure?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
P4 took 20 weeks... I think you may be starting a rumor in saying the P5 is "scheduled to roll out around Thanksgiving". I haven't seen their release schedule but I'd suspect it will take less time to build the P5 than the P4 especially if the changes to the frame are minor. They already have most of it set up from P4.

I CAN tell you that I saw some physical activity at the Shreveport Plant (July 15th, I believe)... flat bed truck there and quite a few people gathered outside where employees would be parking (well, supervision). A 2016 production schedule is quite possible. It's also possible that if they were to finish P5 tomorrow, E01-E025 could be completed by the end of September or early October. It won't take long once they have the frame finalized to build the rest. Final fit and finish isn't super important for crash testing or mileage testing for instance.

The suppliers summit should give some answers. Elio will probably let them all know something about production dates and THOSE would be harder to shift than the ones we've been seeing so far.

Whether It's your numbers or mine, when I originally said around Thanksgiving this was my logic............
Paul said P4 took about 20 weeks and he expected P5 would take less.
I ass-u-me-d a start date of July 1. (actual was earlier)
20 weeks after July 1 would be November 18
We will call actual start date as June 12 (The announcement date)
So adding in the extra time that gives 23-1/2 weeks
So that's almost 4 weeks over the 20.
By calling Thanksgiving it's sort of symbolic and cuts back on the ....
Are we there yet........... Are we there yet........... Are we there yet........... Are we there yet........... Are we there yet........... waaaah!
that we have heard so much of.
And hopefully, it might be done before Thanksgiving. Then we would have multiply things to be thankful for.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I may have missed a discussion on this. If so, please just direct me there.
I read on FB over the weekend someone saying that they talked to Jerome and he said that production would NOT start in 2016 and that 2017 was doubtful. Has anyone discussed this? Any truth to it?
That was from a member on Elio Motors Owners group, Tony Starkovich, who had just gone to the latest tour stop and had a chance to speak with Jerome. I did notice his post changed from from a earlier iteration saying Jerome said production couldn't start in 2016 without funding into production wouldn't start in 2016 or even 2017.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
P4 took 20 weeks... I think you may be starting a rumor in saying the P5 is "scheduled to roll out around Thanksgiving". I haven't seen their release schedule but I'd suspect it will take less time to build the P5 than the P4 especially if the changes to the frame are minor. They already have most of it set up from P4.

I CAN tell you that I saw some physical activity at the Shreveport Plant (July 15th, I believe)... flat bed truck there and quite a few people gathered outside where employees would be parking (well, supervision). A 2016 production schedule is quite possible. It's also possible that if they were to finish P5 tomorrow, E01-E025 could be completed by the end of September or early October. It won't take long once they have the frame finalized to build the rest. Final fit and finish isn't super important for crash testing or mileage testing for instance.

The suppliers summit should give some answers. Elio will probably let them all know something about production dates and THOSE would be harder to shift than the ones we've been seeing so far.
No rumors started by me other than what was mentioned previoulsy right here. EM said 20 weeks possibly less. I don't care when it's done. What I am most interested in is will EM follow through on the stated P5 time table. Will we see the P5 within the 20 week time frame? That's a deadline that should simply not be missed. I'm not even certain if the P5 build has started except for statements from a forum member that it has. There has been no EM official P5 progress updates that Ive seen.

Much more speculation on your part............finish the P5 tomorrow, activity at the plant, less time to build than the P4, could be completed by the end of Sept/Oct, It won't take long........then why the high build cost per unit? There will be many design and engineering changes from the P4.

Frankly, the final fit and finish is critical in all phases of building the P5 and E6-25 prototypes. That's what those builds are about.............fit and finish with necessary/required tweaking along the way.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That was from a member on Elio Motors Owners group, Tony Starkovich, who had just gone to the latest tour stop and had a chance to speak with Jerome. I did notice his post changed from from a earlier iteration saying Jerome said production couldn't start in 2016 without funding into production wouldn't start in 2016 or even 2017.
Ahh the could have, should have, would have (aka Cuda, Shuda, Wooda ) trap. Seen it happen way too many times

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Would anyone like to hear an "official" Elio response?
Here it is:

aaa6e97ed744b459c32fde7fc?size=40&default=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2Fframe_user.png

The Elio Customer Experience Team (Elio Motors)

Aug 4, 13:35

Hey Coss,

As far as the thing Jerome supposedly said about production (which he didn't - it was a miscommunication of some sort obviously).

Here is the answer: "Nothing has changed. The targeted production start date is still in mid-2016. This was a miscommunication between Jerome and a great fan of Elio, but it was a simple miscommunication. Jerome didn't say that production was delayed until anything but 2016". These things take on a life of their own, but please do not take rumors and make them into something bigger than they are. We communicate anything that happens with Elio Motors clearly and in a timely fashion and will continue to do that so you know what is really happening when we do.

Thanks again Garry.

Make sure to check out our blog at www.eliomotors.com/blog

Thank you,
The Elio Team

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would anyone like to hear an "official" Elio response?
Here it is:

aaa6e97ed744b459c32fde7fc?size=40&default=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2Fframe_user.png

The Elio Customer Experience Team (Elio Motors)

Aug 4, 13:35

Hey Coss,

As far as the thing Jerome supposedly said about production (which he didn't - it was a miscommunication of some sort obviously).

Here is the answer: "Nothing has changed. The targeted production start date is still in mid-2016. This was a miscommunication between Jerome and a great fan of Elio, but it was a simple miscommunication. Jerome didn't say that production was delayed until anything but 2016". These things take on a life of their own, but please do not take rumors and make them into something bigger than they are. We communicate anything that happens with Elio Motors clearly and in a timely fashion and will continue to do that so you know what is really happening when we do.

Thanks again Garry.

Make sure to check out our blog at www.eliomotors.com/blog

Thank you,
The Elio Team
Awesome! See? I knew I could count on you guys to get to the bottom of this. Well played, good sir.

Top Bottom