• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Delay To 2017 And Beyond

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am so looking forward to the targeted 2016 production schedule. I didn't think it was possible given no P5 Build, no E6-25 builds, no locked in funding, no tooled plant, and no trained work force personnel in place. I'm amazed.
image.jpg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome! See? I knew I could count on you guys to get to the bottom of this. Well played, good sir.
You guys? Ok, I guess :noidea:

And you're welcome...

I wonder if I should post it in any other spots to make sure everyone sees it.

Maybe we need a "NOTICE" thread and limit entries to it (read only)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Whether It's your numbers or mine, when I originally said around Thanksgiving this was my logic............
Paul said P4 took about 20 weeks and he expected P5 would take less.
I ass-u-me-d a start date of July 1. (actual was earlier)
20 weeks after July 1 would be November 18
We will call actual start date as June 12 (The announcement date)
So adding in the extra time that gives 23-1/2 weeks
So that's almost 4 weeks over the 20.
By calling Thanksgiving it's sort of symbolic and cuts back on the ....
Are we there yet........... Are we there yet........... Are we there yet........... Are we there yet........... Are we there yet........... waaaah!
that we have heard so much of.
And hopefully, it might be done before Thanksgiving. Then we would have multiply things to be thankful for.
True. Well said. I'm still thinking they'll have it done early while acting like they aren't and then surprise! See, we CAN make a deadline... everything is going smooth here. Hey, look, there's E-01 ready to be run into a wall or something. Hey, there's E-02 ready for real world mileage tests... Hi there, E-03, ready for some acoustic test
No rumors started by me other than what was mentioned previoulsy right here. EM said 20 weeks possibly less. I don't care when it's done. What I am most interested in is will EM follow through on the stated P5 time table. Will we see the P5 within the 20 week time frame? That's a deadline that should simply not be missed. I'm not even certain if the P5 build has started except for statements from a forum member that it has. There has been no EM official P5 progress updates that Ive seen.

Much more speculation on your part............finish the P5 tomorrow, activity at the plant, less time to build than the P4, could be completed by the end of Sept/Oct, It won't take long........then why the high build cost per unit? There will be many design and engineering changes from the P4.

Frankly, the final fit and finish is critical in all phases of building the P5 and E6-25 prototypes. That's what those builds are about.............fit and finish with necessary/required tweaking along the way.
Fit and finish is not important in crash testing. It IS important as an evolutionary step and to make sure the Elio is right for production of course.

Rather that assume the P5 has been started, take it from Elio:
http://www.eliomotors.com/elio-momentum-v6-2015-milestones/ This one says they "launched the build" for the P5 June

Then here, they say "Earlier this week, we announced to the media that we started work on our fifth generation prototype, the P5." This was June 10th.
http://www.eliomotors.com/elio-momentum-v5-announcing-the-fifth-generation-elio-prototype/

I saw activity at the plant with my own two eyes. I've been trusting them for 45 years now... except for that Penn and Teller show...
Paul himself said it would take less time to build the P5 than the P4 which took 20 weeks.

From their press release on 08 June:
June 8, 2015
SOURCE: PR Newswire
Elio Motors today announced it has begun work on its fifth generation prototype vehicle following a successful supplier summit meeting here last week. The P5 will include Elio Motors’ recently unveiled 0.9 liter, 3-cylinder engine prototype and a manual transmission.
Elio Motors is targeting a launch date mid 2016 for a vehicle that will get up to 84 MPG and is expected to retail for $6,800. The P5 is being developed using funds raised in a recent 506 (c) offering. The 506 (c) offering is made possible by the Jobs Act of 2012, and allows accredited investors to buy in to Elio Motors.

http://www.eliomotors.com/press-rel...2C3RQmsgq4IGR6pRrgEhZPpXHaq--Q&_hsmi=18783436

Looking back at your post. I agree with you that Elio needs to hit their target for the P5. I think it's important. There has been too much "Elio misses another deadline" type of press. I used the "IF the P5 were finished tomorrow" line merely because I needed to have a starting point. I guess I should have said "Whenever they finish the P5, it shouldn't take them more than 2 months to finish the entire E series." or something along those lines. I did not intend anyone to take the date I put there are a rumor or guess. If I were to guess, I'd say that Elio will have the P5 ready in time for their Summit and that's only a couple weeks away. I'll most likely be wrong but from the CAD drawings they've provided and the Tech Talk and Momentum which talked about the changes, it doesn't seem like they are changing much about the frame or the equipment that bolts to it. The existing jig (they should still have that ready) would only need minor tweaks. The body panels look like they changed. Well, the nose did at least and the back a bit so those will require new molds and I haven't done any of that kind of work.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were starting rumors but it was the first time I heard "By Thanksgiving" and it threw me off. I've been keeping pretty close tabs on Elio because while I know what went on INSIDE the Shreveport Assembly building, I'm curious to the process that brings the vehicle to that point of assembly.

I think you've nailed the reason Elio hasn't given a build time for the P5. They don't want to be wrong again.

Top Bottom