• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Disturbing

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE="JCar, post: 111313,
Snipped: I'm sure oil will rise again, but in time to motivate serious financing?[/QUOTE]

The silver lining here is the big
three are selling more trucks &
SUV's. They will want more 'cafe
credits' & may even lobby for
the 'Auto Cycle' Bill......

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
[QUOTE="JCar, post: 111313,
Snipped: I'm sure oil will rise again, but in time to motivate serious financing?

The silver lining here is the big
three are selling more trucks &
SUV's. They will want more 'cafe
credits' & may even lobby for
the 'Auto Cycle' Bill......

That would be an interesting turn, though my confidence in public intelligence isn't rising. Few decisions are made on much beyond self-interest. I wonder how many people think oil is abiotic? They have short attention spans even after experiencing many price fluctuations since 2008. Hype over the "shale revolution" (which falls flat under EROI scrutiny) has also made people apathetic. Wasting oil is also foolish because it's critical for thousands of things beyond transportation. Agriculture and plastics are two big ones. People are burning away their very future and don't care.

Paul's ability to sell the Elio seems to be based more on its "cool" factor than his original efficiency agenda. Some buyers would immediately hot-rod it down to a mediocre MPG figure. Everything's about having more power than the next guy, so we can tailgate faster when congestion breaks.

Last edited:

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is some interesting analysis vs. the usual Peak Oil runaway price scenario.
There are so many things wrong on so many levels with the cited article that it is impossible to know where to begin. The author has absolutely no clue about supply & demand, cause & effect, the economics of diminishing returns, commodity pricing models, alternative energy technology, and on, and on. Her responses to some of the comments are almost laughable if they weren't so intent on misleading - implying humans should live in the warm parts of the world and farm with 100% free solar? Yeah, right...

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
There are so many things wrong on so many levels with the cited article that it is impossible to know where to begin. The author has absolutely no clue about supply & demand, cause & effect, the economics of diminishing returns, commodity pricing models, alternative energy technology, and on, and on. Her responses to some of the comments are almost laughable if they weren't so intent on misleading - implying humans should live in the warm parts of the world and farm with 100% free solar? Yeah, right...

I'd check her whole blog for context before assuming you interpreted that as it was meant. Tverberg is no economic novice or science denier, just someone who brings up some counterintuitive points about prices and human behavior. The price of oil is sensitive to demand in surprising ways. I'm not fully agreeing with her but if oil stays low for quite awhile, take a second look at her premise.

Rob Liszi

Reaction score
What is disturbing for me is that my brother-in-law works for a company in the Detroit area and he told me a few days back that the company he works for broke ties with the Elio company.
Its a fact that cannot be disputed.

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
What is disturbing for me is that my brother-in-law works for a company in the Detroit area and he told me a few days back that the company he works for broke ties with the Elio company.

Even if you can't give the exact company name, tell us what it was involved in, otherwise the word "fact" is hearsay. There could be many reasons for "breaking ties," including some other supplier getting the same contract.

I kind of wish this whole project wasn't happening in the Internet age of instant speculation and rumors. This site should be called "eliospeculators" since ownership is only hypothetical. Maybe this forum's name will give it the needed karma.

Tech note: I think making it look more robust by shrouding/protecting the front suspension would boost its prospects some more. It has a bit too much of a go-kart look with those skeletal arms. I was also somewhat surprised to see that it's as wide as many normal cars. I was hoping it might be a foot or so narrower for maneuvering but that might make it inclined to roll.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

It's easy to dispute your so-called fact.
There is no substantiating information relating to it.
No company name!
No reason!
No idea what your brother-in-laws job is!
Maybe they lost their contract for failure to perform???

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd check her whole blog for context before assuming you interpreted that as it was meant. Tverberg is no economic novice or science denier, just someone who brings up some counterintuitive points about prices and human behavior. The price of oil is sensitive to demand in surprising ways. I'm not fully agreeing with her but if oil stays low for quite awhile, take a second look at her premise.
"Counterintuitive" implies merit - I found absolutely none in what she posted, and even less that would encourage me to read more.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it was Takata I'd say it was a good call on Elio's part.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone will get an answer from Rob Liszi; the questions have been asked in a very civil manner but the post was only his 3rd entry since joining back in September 2014. Apparently not a very active account.
I'm also a person that would like to know the details of his statement; but I don't think anyone is going to get an answer.
Makes me question if it was in fact a true statement.

Top Bottom