• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eastern Catalytic - Exhaust And Trailer Hitch

Dooltd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A lot of people, including myself, want a trailer hitch but I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves.
I want a hitch as a hard point to attach a bike rack or maybe a small carrying platform but I think many want one to actually pull a trailer and that may be a stretch.
Let's not forget we're talking about a vehicle with 900cc displacement.
In the world of motorcycles pulling trailers, most riders use a Goldwing class bike with a displacement of 1300 to 1800cc, which is quite a jump over 900. Add an automatic transmission, an air conditioner, and someone in the backseat and our little engine has it's work cut out. :cool:

Last edited:

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, specifically it said "an entry for the trailer hitch." I'm not sure what that means. If it refers to the receiver that is bolted to the frame then we're in fat city. If "an entry" just means the exhaust pipe will be out of the way for a future receiver then we won't have a trailer hitch in the first year.

'then we won't have a trailer hitch in the first year'.
You wanta bet!! The 'after market' will jump all over these things when (before) they hit the street. If not, I'll carry mine to a local shop and have them make one. 'Where there is a will, there Will be a way'!!
How else will I tow the Mini-Mate??lol

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
'then we won't have a trailer hitch in the first year'.
You wanta bet!! The 'after market' will jump all over these things when (before) they hit the street. If not, I'll carry mine to a local shop and have them make one. 'Where there is a will, there Will be a way'!!
How else will I tow the Mini-Mate??lol
Paul did say, in the Town Hall Meeting, that they were not going to add a trailer hitch at this time because it would add an additional 6 months to production. They would have to test it for liability purposes. :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Facebook answers from EM continue to state that no tests have been done for stability control, if a hitch is installed.

right now EM's focus is getting production going to where it fills the first year's production goal of 50-60,000 vehicles .... the time will come when additional options will be integrated into the production .... I have little doubt that stability control when towing a trailer will be well tested by a good number of Elio owners well before the time if/when a receiver is added to the option list

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Paul did say, in the Town Hall Meeting, that they were not going to add a trailer hitch at this time because it would add an additional 6 months to production. They would have to test it for liability purposes. :-) Z
He also said that as EM will not officially offer a hitch at first he expects they will very likely be available via the aftermarket.[emoji4]

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul did say, in the Town Hall Meeting, that they were not going to add a trailer hitch at this time because it would add an additional 6 months to production. They would have to test it for liability purposes. :) Z

Z,
I'll say this, about that.
I would not want Paul to delay production one second longer than he has to, just to get a trailer hitch.

I'll buy a hitch or have one made then do my own testing, as I will only be liable for one, me. I am sure it want take six months to put it thru it's paces.
Picture this:
On a dry Sunday morning, in a large parking lot, set up a road course with half tennis balls painted orange. Start out with a trailer, loaded at 200#s, and do forward Panic Stops at 20/40/60 mph. Then add a little curve at those same speeds, both left and right, then more and more curve. Then up the weight to 300#s.
Come back on a rainy Sunday morning and start all over. If all is well at this point, then it will be time to hit the road for Real experiance.
I don't have the least problem with 'Being First' with towing with an Elio. I've planned this since I first heard of an Elio.

I'll post feed back after the testing if all goes well, if it don't I want!!!LOL

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A lot of people, including myself, want a trailer hitch but I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves.
I want a hitch as a hard point to attach a bike rack or maybe a small carrying platform but I think many want to actually pull a trailer and that may be a stretch.
Let's not forget we're talking about a vehicle with 900cc displacement.
In the world of motorcycles pulling trailers, most riders use a Goldwing class bike with a displacement of 1300 to 1800cc, which is quite a jump over 900. Add an automatic transmission, an air conditioner, and someone in the backseat and our little engine has it's work cut out. :cool:

My brother pulls a 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer with his '92 (1 liter) Metro hatchback. He's a handyman so, often hauls a few 2x4's or a few sheets of plywood or sheetrock. Not a full load of lumber, but bulky items. Elio will have about the same hp, way more low end torque and about 600lbs less "dry weight". The AMT trans shouldn't be an issue either, as it is really a manual transmission with a dry clutch. I see a "reasonable" trailer as a way to make it more versatile. a way to haul bulky items...not necessarily "heavy" items.

Last edited:
Top Bottom