• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eastern Catalytic - Exhaust And Trailer Hitch

ET Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
My trailer is covered by my vehicle insurance when attached to the vehicle. If it became disconnected and caused damage I would be liable because the trailer is not separately insured. I don't use it often and it's not worth insuring-value about $500.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
What about personal reliability in the event you kill some when pulling with your homemade hitch and what about the possibility of EM nullifying your warranty?

Just like most motorcycles and small cars in which the manufacturer does not recommend towing doing so is something Elio owners would do at their own risk. If owners are using a homemade hitch they must also accept that they are liable if that hitch is not constructed and/or mounted appropriately.

We have had the warranty discussion on this forum and use outside that recommended in the owners manual definitely puts you in a gray area however according to federal law Elio Motors can not simply cancel your entire warranty. To deny warranty coverage Elio Motors must provide reasonable evidence that your use and/or modifications is what caused the fault. The flip side to that is that the vehicle manufacturers, and their lawyers, do this all the time so they have a huge database of information and legal precedent where they have won these warranty cases.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What about personal reliability in the event you kill some when pulling with your homemade hitch and what about the possibility of EM nullifying your warranty?

the warranty has nothing to do with coverage for an accident, it only covers defects in materials/workmanship for a specific time/miles .... if a non-OEM product or a non factory approved is added to a vehicle and is directly related to a failure, a manufacture can void the warranty on the affected area/part .... in short, it a reciever for a trailer hitch is welded to the frame and the frame in that area fails, it can easily result in the warranty on that area being voided .... it would have nothing to do with the warranty on any other area/component that wasn't affected by the adding the non approved part

Jim

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the warranty has nothing to do with coverage for an accident, it only covers defects in materials/workmanship for a specific time/miles .... if a non-OEM product or a non factory approved is added to a vehicle and is directly related to a failure, a manufacture can void the warranty on the affected area/part .... in short, it a reciever for a trailer hitch is welded to the frame and the frame in that area fails, it can easily result in the warranty on that area being voided .... it would have nothing to do with the warranty on any other area/component that wasn't affected by the adding the non approved part

Jim

"the warranty has nothing to do with coverage for an accident" You are correct. Don't remember saying it did.

After EM does it's R&D on the effects of towing on the car, what part or parts do you think they will modify?

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
After EM does it's R&D on the effects of towing on the car, what par or parts do you think they will modify?

they continue to say that it will come with provisions for flat towing (like behind a motor home) but a while back there was a report that they still weren't sure if the Elio will be designed to be towed forward or backward .... if towed backward, frame supports will be in place that may possibly be adapted to tow an appropriate size trailer .... if not, I suspect that the rear frame will have to be beefed up (probably under go some redesign) to handle both tongue weight and the weight being towed .... the rear shock/suspension may have to be beefed up as well .... the rear tire/rim weight rating will have to be considered .... the rear cowling covering the tire may need to be modified .... with the exhaust designed to exit in front of the rear tire, the exhaust system probably will not need to be modified .... all of the above is based on looking at pictures of the frame, not on any first hand experience so all this should be viewed with a great deal of skepticism

Jim

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Towing a vehicle and towing with a vehicle are two separate set of problems to work through.

absolutely .... I don't know of another vehicle designed to be towed backward behind a motorhome .... it will be interesting to see what they come up with

Jim

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
'then we won't have a trailer hitch in the first year'.
You wanta bet!! The 'after market' will jump all over these things when (before) they hit the street. If not, I'll carry mine to a local shop and have them make one. 'Where there is a will, there Will be a way'!!
How else will I tow the Mini-Mate??lol
Hopefully, new Elio owners will share the information on the fabrication of their hitches and we can shorten the learning process.

Avards

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hopefully, new Elio owners will share the information on the fabrication of their hitches and we can shorten the learning process.

Hopefully, Elio Motors will cooperate with towing equipment manufacturers in designing a system which will preclude the necessity for homebuilt towing equipment.

wr

Top Bottom