• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Nate_tx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I hope while you were looking at yourself, you did not run over anyone?

Actually it will have a connection port for trouble codes. It seems I read a post yesterday suggests the ECM in the Elio will not stream the data in real time out the port thou. So live Temp and other information may not be available through that port like it is in my Toyota. My 98 Diesel Suburban even streams some portions of its data live including RPM, Coolant temp and ambient air at intake. Seems the Elio to control costs (which is understandable) will use a more basic ECM that a lot of cheaper cars use. It will still finite control of engine parameters it just wont stream the data. So I do have a question - if the SkyZ package - which is supposed to have all that data does display engine temp and fuel and all of that - will that vehicle have a diffrent or upgraded ECM to support it?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know. That whole "I'll push the clutch, you change the gears" could be a whole different level of fun in an Elio...:cool:

How about..."Hey babe, why don't you drive. I'll just sit in the back and massage your shoulders, and neck, and....
You know, my daughter will be dating in a few years, I'm thinking a safety cage behind the front seat, would be a nice option. o_O :D

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually it will have a connection port for trouble codes. It seems I read a post yesterday suggests the ECM in the Elio will not stream the data in real time out the port thou. So live Temp and other information may not be available through that port like it is in my Toyota. My 98 Diesel Suburban even streams some portions of its data live including RPM, Coolant temp and ambient air at intake. Seems the Elio to control costs (which is understandable) will use a more basic ECM that a lot of cheaper cars use. It will still finite control of engine parameters it just wont stream the data. So I do have a question - if the SkyZ package - which is supposed to have all that data does display engine temp and fuel and all of that - will that vehicle have a diffrent or upgraded ECM to support it?

o_O That is a very good question! I would think for the sake of 'standardization' (wire bundles, connectors, etc...) on the assembly line, they would use the same ECM on all the Elios...could be wrong though.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
o_O That is a very good question! I would think for the sake of 'standardization' (wire bundles, connectors, etc...) on the assembly line, they would use the same ECM on all the Elios...could be wrong though.

As stated the Elio will have an OBD-II port and will be fully OBD-II compliant minus the live sensor data streaming component which as far as I can find is not even required by law in cars anyhow. The sensors are however installed, as they are used by the ECU of course, and still streaming their data over the vehicles CAN bus communications network so anything that is connected to this network can access this information and use it. This means that there is no need to touch the ECU at all for the Skyzmatic system as it simply bypasses the ECU by connecting directly into the CAN bus and thus accessing the needed information directly.

By the way one reason why I know this is because I have chatted with Elio VP Jerome Vassallo about a potential product I am currently researching, and hope to develop, which would restore the data streaming functionality to the OBD-II port and possibly even host the data over Bluetooth as well to enable apps such as Torque to work without an additional adapter. Right now this is all on the drawing board and still in its initial stages and we still have quite a while before the vehicle rolls out but I am hoping this proves to be economically feasible to do over the next year. I am not trying to become a millionaire from this but it would take time and money to develop so it has to be worthwhile. My guess is that as this idea moves forward, and as the Elio vehicle moves closer to production, I will eventually run a Kisckstarter type crowdfunding campaign to establish pre-orders and ensure funding is in order for final certification and production.

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As stated the Elio will have an OBD-II port and will be fully OBD-II compliant minus the live sensor data streaming component which as far as I can find is not even required by law in cars anyhow. The sensors are however installed, as they are used by the ECM of course, and still streaming their data over the vehicles CAN bus communications network so anything that is connected to this network can access this information and use it. This means that there is no need to touch the ECM at all for the Skyzmatic system as it simply bypasses the ECM by connecting directly into the CAN bus and thus accessing the needed information directly.

By the way one reason why I know this is because I have chatted with Elio VP Jerome Vassallo about a potential product I am currently researching, and hope to develop, which would restore the data streaming functionality to the OBD-II port and possibly even host the data over Bluetooth as well to enable apps such as Torque to work without an additional adapter. Right now this is all on the drawing board and still in its initial stages and we still have quite a while before the vehicle rolls out but I am hoping this proves to be economically feasible to do over the next year. I am not trying to become a millionaire from this but it would take time and money to develop so it has to be worthwhile. My guess is that as this idea moves forward, and as the Elio vehicle moves closer to production, I will eventually run a Kisckstarter type crowdfunding campaign to establish pre-orders and ensure funding is in order for final certification and production.
I may not know what all this means and I'm certainly not a source of lots of money, but - I would love to see this happen for you. If there is anything I can do from a distance, let me know. If nothing else, I'm a data entry pro and I actually enjoy doing it. LOL :-) Z

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure I like the Elgin dash, what do you think?
I'm taking the "wait and see" approach. I wasn't keen on the orange till I saw it in person. While I was going to get a white one, I've seen white done where it looked like an appliance. The orange is very striking in person. Perhaps the Lord Elgin inspired dash will be the same. GoofyOne seemed to like it in person more than in pictures. The renderings make it look pretty decent. While it may not be a first choice, I think it'll look like it belongs in the Elio... Especially centered in the vehicle like it will be. An asymetrical dash wouldn't look quite right with the right and left sides of the car so evident. In my opinion, of course.

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it will be different and will grow on us, I just wish we could put an aircraft style stearing wheel in it. I have a very old cyclic stick grip from a huey helicopter and am envisioning it on the end of the E brake or shift lever with some of the switches (HIgh beams, fog lights, hooked through it, we will see.

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It really would not surprise me if after EM is successful they develop a higher end three wheeled vehicle with more emphasis on style and performance instead of price and fuel economy. This would likely be the vehicle with side by side seating and if I were them I would even make a convertible version. To keep this from eating into the sales of the entry level model too much this one would likely have a much higher price tag say in the $20's but also offer more comfort and refinement in its base model

making it useful on a daily basis unlike the similarly priced Polaris Slingshot.

I don't believe a four wheeled vehicle would fit EM's brand however a higher end three wheeled vehicle is definitely something I can see interest in especially once EM proves that three wheeled vehicles can be practical and fun. :)
I think the closest to what you are talking about is what made me fall in love with the former GM company Pontiac and their Solstice which debuted in 2006. It was a stunning, different sports car and a true roadster and like the Elio fans were able to follow the car from concept to production. Unfortunately, that car and the Saturn Sky had great first year sales but dwindled each following year. GM then closed both Pontiac and Saturn. Both were reasonably priced (below $25k) convertible sports cars with 4 cylinder engines. *Note air, electric windows and locks were options not standard as with Elio.

Top Bottom