• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
there will be several items offered in the Skyz system and they say folks can pick and choose the components they want .... I haven't seen a breakdown so don't know where the I-pad will come into play

Jim
Skyzmatic swears they'll port the software to Android before production starts. Yeah. Sure.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I had been wondering about this, too. The ECU was to have been the simpler version, not the streaming version, purely as a cost item. However, if they're going to make back the difference on sales of Skyzmatic (and its competitors), the upgrade is likely to be profitable, and they may just quietly be doing it -- a couple of dollars in extra cost / unit offset by ?? in their share of Skyzmatic profits. (You don't imagine Elio doesn't make money on these "Factory Sponsored" options, do you?)

Another reason I think this may be the case (upgraded ECU) is that they're "in talks" with Navdy. If the data won't stream, they'd just have said a flat "no thanks" to Navdy.

There is no reason for EM to change out the ECU at all as the data is there but it takes more work to get to it:
As stated the Elio will have an OBD-II port and will be fully OBD-II compliant minus the live sensor data streaming component which as far as I can find is not even required by law in cars anyhow. The sensors are however installed, as they are used by the ECU of course, and still streaming their data over the vehicles CAN bus communications network so anything that is connected to this network can access this information and use it. This means that there is no need to touch the ECU at all for the Skyzmatic system as it simply bypasses the ECU by connecting directly into the CAN bus and thus accessing the needed information directly.

By the way one reason why I know this is because I have chatted with Elio VP Jerome Vassallo about a potential product I am currently researching, and hope to develop, which would restore the data streaming functionality to the OBD-II port and possibly even host the data over Bluetooth as well to enable apps such as Torque to work without an additional adapter. Right now this is all on the drawing board and still in its initial stages and we still have quite a while before the vehicle rolls out but I am hoping this proves to be economically feasible to do over the next year. I am not trying to become a millionaire from this but it would take time and money to develop so it has to be worthwhile. My guess is that as this idea moves forward, and as the Elio vehicle moves closer to production, I will eventually run a Kisckstarter type crowdfunding campaign to establish pre-orders and ensure funding is in order for final certification and production.

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We listened to WGN on AM a lot because it was the only signal we could get. That's in middle TN, in mid 70s, no rockin FM station till WKDF and my car did not have anything but AM. Fixed that pretty quick, "ridin arround" not much fun with ou some rock and roll !
Yep. WKDA was the AM. Super Shan. Many moons ago.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm taking the "wait and see" approach. I wasn't keen on the orange till I saw it in person. While I was going to get a white one, I've seen white done where it looked like an appliance. The orange is very striking in person. Perhaps the Lord Elgin inspired dash will be the same. GoofyOne seemed to like it in person more than in pictures. The renderings make it look pretty decent. While it may not be a first choice, I think it'll look like it belongs in the Elio... Especially centered in the vehicle like it will be. An asymetrical dash wouldn't look quite right with the right and left sides of the car so evident. In my opinion, of course.
Would you marry a mail order bride with an ugly picture because someone told you to "wait and see", she will look better in person?

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Was feelin nostalgic (due to this thread) last night and punched the AM button, could not find WLS (not WGN good grief) , remembered it was 930 , memberin not so good :) Yep WKDA was the daytime station, out in the country it went away at night :(
Wonder if we et AM stations on the Elio radio??? Some good high school football games in he fall on AM.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it will be different and will grow on us, I just wish we could put an aircraft style stearing wheel in it. I have a very old cyclic stick grip from a huey helicopter and am envisioning it on the end of the E brake or shift lever with some of the switches (HIgh beams, fog lights, hooked through it, we will see.
It will "grow on us"?

Athlete's foot also grows on us.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I know for certain I do not like the elgin gauge. Why it is being used when so many people dislike it, makes no sense.

1 and only 1 reason .... the president of the company wants it to be that way .... bottom line as of now, if you want to buy an Elio, it will come with the Elgin dash .... that's pretty much the end of the discussion

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
1 and only 1 reason .... the president of the company wants it to be that way .... bottom line as of now, if you want to buy an Elio, it will come with the Elgin dash .... that's pretty much the end of the discussion

Jim

This is pretty much it. The company has his name on it and apparently he can get his gauge cluster without it costing more than a more traditional looking version of the gauge cluster so that is the gauge cluster we get. :rolleyes::D

Top Bottom