• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Kegger

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hopefully I'm not repeating what someone else has said already, but it appears that the SkyzMatic is a sort of dash. Is it going to be an either/or kind of thing or is it going to be somehow have both the elgin and SkyzMatic (if someone so desired to have the SkyzMatic). I personally already know I'll be getting the SkyzMatic.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is it going to be an either/or kind of thing or is it going to be somehow have both the elgin and SkyzMatic (if someone so desired to have the SkyzMatic). I personally already know I'll be getting the SkyzMatic.

2 different items .... like it or not, you will get the Elgin .... you can add the Skyz at an additional cost .... the Skyz will be read on an I-pad or I-phone and, unfortunately, will not cover up the Elgin

Jim

Last edited:

Kegger

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
2 different items .... like it or not, you will get the Elgin .... you can add the Skyz at an additional cost .... the Skyz will be read on an I-pad or I-phone and, unfortunately, will not cover up the Elgin

Jim
Very Interesting. Thank you for that tidbit! I wasn't aware that the SkyzMatic system was on the iPad or other device. If that's the case, I already have a fantastic app on my android that connects via bluetooth adapter to the ODBII port (which appears to have been confirmed). I'll be able to have whatever custom dash I want with that app.

Currently on the fence I guess about SkyzMatic now, but I'll have to weigh the options when I get to see more about the SkyzMatic.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Very Interesting. Thank you for that tidbit! I wasn't aware that the SkyzMatic system was on the iPad or other device. If that's the case, I already have a fantastic app on my android that connects via bluetooth adapter to the ODBII port (which appears to have been confirmed). I'll be able to have whatever custom dash I want with that app.

Currently on the fence I guess about SkyzMatic now, but I'll have to weigh the options when I get to see more about the SkyzMatic.

they will have one that can work on an Android .... the complete system comes with an I-pad, the mount for which will replace the radio in the location on the P4 .... the radio will then play through the Skyz system

Jim

Kegger

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
they will have one that can work on an Android .... the complete system comes with an I-pad, the mount for which will replace the radio in the location on the P4 .... the radio will then play through the Skyz system

Jim
erk! :confused:

Not a fan of apple. Used to sell them. They make a good product etc...I'm not about to start an apple vs android debate! lol

Getting an iPad with the SkyzMatic System (in my mind) is a bit of a drawback. Fudge. It's ok, that's why it's an option! If it's something I don't want, I don't get it, just like some people don't like leather!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
erk! :confused:

Not a fan of apple. Used to sell them. They make a good product etc...I'm not about to start an apple vs android debate! lol

Getting an iPad with the SkyzMatic System (in my mind) is a bit of a drawback. Fudge. It's ok, that's why it's an option! If it's something I don't want, I don't get it, just like some people don't like leather!

there will be several items offered in the Skyz system and they say folks can pick and choose the components they want .... I haven't seen a breakdown so don't know where the I-pad will come into play

Jim

Kegger

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
there will be several items offered in the Skyz system and they say folks can pick and choose the components they want .... I haven't seen a breakdown so don't know where the I-pad will come into play

Jim

Cool, I'll be very interested to see more about this, but I imagine they're focusing more on Engine Dyno testing and preparing the multiple vehicles for crash testing and such right now.

By the way, thanks for all the information JEBar, you've been very helpful!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Cool, I'll be very interested to see more about this, but I imagine they're focusing more on Engine Dyno testing and preparing the multiple vehicles for crash testing and such right now.

By the way, thanks for all the information JEBar, you've been very helpful!

not a problem .... as you noted, right now (and for who knows how many months to come) they are testing the engine and working to move forward

Jim

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It really would not surprise me if after EM is successful they develop a higher end three wheeled vehicle with more emphasis on style and performance instead of price and fuel economy. This would likely be the vehicle with side by side seating and if I were them I would even make a convertible version. To keep this from eating into the sales of the entry level model too much this one would likely have a much higher price tag say in the $20's but also offer more comfort and refinement in its base model making it useful on a daily basis unlike the similarly priced Polaris Slingshot.

I don't believe a four wheeled vehicle would fit EM's brand however a higher end three wheeled vehicle is definitely something I can see interest in especially once EM proves that three wheeled vehicles can be practical and fun. :)
As long as they boost gthe
Actually it will have a connection port for trouble codes. It seems I read a post yesterday suggests the ECM in the Elio will not stream the data in real time out the port thou. So live Temp and other information may not be available through that port like it is in my Toyota. My 98 Diesel Suburban even streams some portions of its data live including RPM, Coolant temp and ambient air at intake. Seems the Elio to control costs (which is understandable) will use a more basic ECM that a lot of cheaper cars use. It will still finite control of engine parameters it just wont stream the data. So I do have a question - if the SkyZ package - which is supposed to have all that data does display engine temp and fuel and all of that - will that vehicle have a diffrent or upgraded ECM to support it?
I had been wondering about this, too. The ECU was to have been the simpler version, not the streaming version, purely as a cost item. However, if they're going to make back the difference on sales of Skyzmatic (and its competitors), the upgrade is likely to be profitable, and they may just quietly be doing it -- a couple of dollars in extra cost / unit offset by ?? in their share of Skyzmatic profits. (You don't imagine Elio doesn't make money on these "Factory Sponsored" options, do you?)

Another reason I think this may be the case (upgraded ECU) is that they're "in talks" with Navdy. If the data won't stream, they'd just have said a flat "no thanks" to Navdy.

Top Bottom