• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Kit, Would You Still Buy?

What would you pay for such a kit?

• $6,200

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • $6,800

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • $7,400

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • $8,000

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • $8,600

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $9,200

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • heck no!

Votes: 73 64.0%

• Total voters

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cooper Tires and some of the other suppliers are very experienced at the parts they produce. But the don't know D.I.D.D.L.Y squat about putting parts together into a whole car that functions safely and effectively. You can get suppliers to make sub-assemblies even, but you can't outsource your entire car--if no one has "ownership" over the whole project, then no one is accountable, and it WILL FAIL.

This is a major reason, kit cars are incredibly difficult to INSURE! Because the common man or woman...(and I quote) " don't know D.I.D.D.L.Y squat about putting parts together into a whole car that functions safely and effectively."

That is why a FACTORY is needed.

" You can get suppliers to make sub-assemblies even, but you can't outsource your entire car--if no one has "ownership" over the whole project, then no one is accountable, and it WILL FAIL"

Once again, That is why a factory is needed.

Your insightful ramblings have clearly and definitively answered your own questions.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Go to thread "IAV Engine Availability," post #30. I had an absolute BALL writing this one. And get this: 90% of the info I got from this forum. I though it was HILARIOUS!
I just re-read that post and in the proper context (which I now get) it is very funny.:D

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You have to remember the problems involved with suppliers in all forms of manufacturing. I lost a very successful business because of one supplier that failed to deliver on time as promised, it cost me $33,000. (I was not always a car salesman).
EMs suppliers are busy doing jobs for other people.. Coordinating EM into this system is going to be a problem. They are not waiting for EM, EM will be waiting for them. The time frame now doesn't exist because EM isn't even close to putting out a final proto yet.
If one of the suppliers get a big contract say a years worth of work for the military, boom goes that supplier and EM is scrambling to find a replacement. Do you actually think a supplier has 14 months from now circled on their calendar?
If you have now, or ever run a business which depends on others , you would know exactly what I mean.

While I was looking thru the list of suppliers, It struck we....Two suppliers for "air bags"...now, why would they line up 2?...Because NO smart businessman puts ALL of his "eggs in ONE basket". Having several suppliers for the same assembly accomplishes several goals: 1) It gets EM "competitive pricing". 2) It prevents EM from being shut down by lack of supply.
I guess that is why YOU failed.
I know of a large bakery that has a contract for Boxes for their cakes and pies. If the boxes are not ready when the product rolls off the end of the line, the product goes straight into the dumpsters. But,"The box company" pays THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS PER HOUR , (for breach of contract) until the situation is remedied.
You didn't have a similar contract?....Pity
I have confidence that the Board of directors, has been thru all of the "variables". I have no need or desire to "micro manage" the skills and knowledge that these "seasoned professionals" have already proven.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
outsydthebox, you are the first to catch that reference to the airbags in my thread. When I was researching suppliers for that thread I noticed a little overlap here and there and thought that was good planning also.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
outsydthebox, you are the first to catch that reference to the airbags in my thread. When I was researching suppliers for that thread I noticed a little overlap here and there and thought that was good planning also.

Thank You. You know, I have notice that so many FACTS are presented, by so many diligent people...It almost seems like the "naysayers" are being paid Ignore them.

whattheelf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thank You. You know, I have notice that so many FACTS are presented, by so many diligent people...It almost seems like the "naysayers" are being paid Ignore them.

um. business 101. Volume manufacturing requires a first source supplier, and a second source supplier, usually both running and split concurrently, on usually the most critical components on a bill of materials. Often a third supplier is qualified just in case. This is a rather uniform approach, Purchasing agents and a team of quality and design engineers all do this. This is hardly nothing new nor unique, if anything EM is likely far behind in securing a reliable supply chain.

You see the problem is, they can tell you anything about who they will use, the fly in the ointment is you have to be able to pay your suppliers, to get, something EM does not have, CASH. Suppliers qualify who they sell to as well, they may play along a tiny bit initially, but suppliers are usually wise as to who is going under before hand.

Class over, now you guys can put your tin foil hats back on and return to Fox news.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Forgot to add this: http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=727e582c73

Let me guess... you think the plant schematic was done on an Etch-A-Sketch.

Thank you for adding that link.
You know, someone recently stated that " assembly line robotics" meant to build Hummers cant build Elios"...and while there may be some truth to that, It also means, SOME of the "500million dollars" worth of equipment (that isn't needed) could be SOLD to help fund the startup! :cool:

Top Bottom