• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Kit, Would You Still Buy?

What would you pay for such a kit?

• $6,200

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • $6,800

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • $7,400

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • $8,000

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • $8,600

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $9,200

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • heck no!

Votes: 73 64.0%

• Total voters

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for adding that link.
You know, someone recently stated that " assembly line robotics" meant to build Hummers cant build Elios"...and while there may be some truth to that, It also means, SOME of the "500million dollars" worth of equipment (that isn't needed) could be SOLD to help fund the startup! :cool:
Maybe but WHO is making 'Hummers' anymore? Maybe the Chinese Military..... or their citizens:
dongfeng-brave-soldier-1-660x545.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The GM plant will not require extensive modification. The "robots" we're primarily used in welding, windshield attachment, flipping the frame over, lifting axles. Now, most of the robots, mind you, were simply lift assists. A person would kind of guide the part in place (including tires) and the fixture would assisted movements. The biggest part of the whole operation will be lifting in the motor and transaxle. Oh, and paint, of course. Those will obviously require quite the reprogramming and I know nothing of that process. The rest of the car can be assembled easily enough as long as they keep the parts on the line. Setting it up will be fun. It would be great to be there for that but I'm not quite done with this whole Air Force thing just yet... I did some line balance assessments for GM and built a couple of their work stations but I will admit to not being familiar with the welding operation that they had going. I avoided it mostly because the line was almost always going while I was there and when it was going, looking in that area was not smart. I like my eyes too much.

Will it be easy? No. Will it be doable? Certainly. I believe that now that they have access to the plant they will make some fast strides. (If anyone didn't know, they were not able to access the plant until the deal was finalized which mostly answers the "Why didn't they start on the plant months ago?" question) Maybe not in the next tech update but I'd bet in one pretty soon, they will show the inside of part of the facility. In fact, I wouldn't think it far fetched if they had the prototype company... something Motorsports... too tired to look it up... build the first P-5 to almost complete (and maybe send frames and body panels along) and then send them to Shreveport so the P5 can be built at the Shreveport facility.

"The first Elio prototype to roll out of the Shreveport facility did so with much fanfare today. Here with me is the Shreveport council and Paul Elio. Paul, tell us about this beautiful red... what? three wheeler?"

"Yes. This is the Elio. It has three wheels, designed to get 84Mpg on the highway and 49 in the city. It is engineered to the 5 star crash test rating, and will cost $6,800. It will be the perfect commuter to add to your family's current automobile. It has conventional automotive controls and seats two in tandem. That is how we get such great mileage. We push half the air and are half the weight..." (because, he can't NOT say these things, right?)

"$6,800?" (News people always pick up on some mundane point)

"Yes and we are going to do some testing and begin to ramp up production for the final model next summer."

Whatever... I need sleep. LOL

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
More things EM has gotten wonderfully:

• Suspension appears to be well thought out--which I read is really quite hard for this style of vehicle. I can't wait to test drive one.
  • Minimal changes to a fairly bullet proof engine--all to increase driveability, expand the power curve, and preserve good BSFC. (long intake runners to log to intake runners; 2 step variable cam.)
  • The credit card purchase program could turn out to be brilliant and get EM buyers to add on more options.

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seeing that Elio Motors is not likely to raise its 200M by next year, would you still buy if the business model changed to producing a kit version?

Assume kit includes:

• frame, chassis, doors, hinges
  • Signals, mirrors, exterior lights, glass
  • Interior bits--dash, HVAC controls with flaps, heater, AC box, fan, blank port for radio/GPS/electronics
  • Reinforced engine and transmission mount points and customizable hardware for most transverse 3 or 4 cylinder donor engines, including fluid-filled pendulum style mount bushings. Includes "dog-bone" bushings and various mounting points to prevent front/back engine swing.
  • exhaust mount hangers and brackets with many mount locations and heat shielding kit.
  • Emblems, paint options, protective coatings options.
  • Latches, locks, pre-keyed. Hood and trunk struts as options.
  • Recommended tire and wheel list.
  • Suspension components with options for tune-ability.
  • Brakes or brake recommendations for 'plug & play' friendliness.
  • Engine/transmission recommended list with build sheets and wiring harness rewiring guides.
  • gas tank or bladder with mounts and pumps.
  • Shipping to your front door
If you had to provide the drivetrain and integrate it, would you buy?

Please be open-minded and just treat this as a "what if?" question.
Please see thread "IAV Engine Availability," post #30.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While I love to build kits, my life doesn't depend on my ability to assemble an entertainment center correctly. No thanks, I'd rather do what I know how to do, get paid for it, and exchange some of those dollars for a product designed, manufactured, and tested by people who know what they are doing. I'm funny that way. ;)

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, Mr. Elio said the hand built prototypes are costing EM about $125,000 each..but as mass produced the cost what..$5500? And includes a motor and transmission. Hard to tell what the kit might cost with a volume of a couple of thousand at most.
If you were a banker, would you consider buying thousands of elios so you could put them out there depending on the customer to use your card to buy fuel. I would if the vehicle got 20 mpg and the customer filled up once a week. But if a customer filled up one a month, I would be dealing with minimum payments for years to come..My rate would be 25% at least.
Just saw this:
92 mpg
2 person tandem
3 wheels
180 hp.
12.9 second 1/4 mile
1.7 G's cornering
off the shelf parts
110" wheel base
71.5" wide
50' tall
10 gallon fuel tank
weight 1400 lbs.
award winning design. Best in show!

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay, since we are talking about a "kit car," here is a post I wrote a little over a month ago. I literally pieced this together from posts on this forum and embellished a bit. However, if you dive into these forums enough, you will see where I got this. TOTAL tongue in cheek humor, so take it as such. I also posted this on Elio's Facebook, as well as another Elio forum. Enjoy!!

"The way I was understanding it, in one of the other threads, you have to go to the "Elio Store," order your car, with the transmission, cruise control, and all, and when you get to the door, they will have it in a big box, waiting for you to take home and assemble yourself. You will have an inventory sheet, with the pieces/parts that are SUPPOSED to be in the box, and along with the instructions, will be a list of tools needed to assemble your machine.

Here is the estimated cost.

Elio=$6800
Trans=$500
Cruise=$250
Shipping
or pickup=$750

I'm just piecing all this together by what I have read."

whattheelf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Okay, since we are talking about a "kit car," here is a post I wrote a little over a month ago. I literally pieced this together from posts on this forum and embellished a bit. However, if you dive into these forums enough, you will see where I got this. TOTAL tongue in cheek humor, so take it as such. I also posted this on Elio's Facebook, as well as another Elio forum. Enjoy!!

"The way I was understanding it, in one of the other threads, you have to go to the "Elio Store," order your car, with the transmission, cruise control, and all, and when you get to the door, they will have it in a big box, waiting for you to take home and assemble yourself. You will have an inventory sheet, with the pieces/parts that are SUPPOSED to be in the box, and along with the instructions, will be a list of tools needed to assemble your machine.

Here is the estimated cost.

Elio=$6800
Trans=$500
Cruise=$250
Shipping
or pickup=$750

I'm just piecing all this together by what I have read."

If EM were smart, they'd sell all the design materials to IKEA, then maybe we'd see Elio kits in mass production.

Top Bottom