• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors @ Sema 2014

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've read bunches of post from folks who are saving so as to pay cash for their Elio. They are probably working on the $6,800 figure. Fully realizing that at this point it is impossible for EM to lock down specific numbers, folks will low reservation numbers probably won't know the approximate cost for the Elio they want much before they have to place their order.

Jim
If you where all in early, you would be working off a $5300 figure. 1k down + $500 match. Gives you some wiggle room.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice!
Great minds think alike! :) Even though it took like 4 of us just to think through this one question... o_O

Options are a self inflicted wound. There is a big gap between what you need and what you may want.

PE has said all along, you get a radio, A/C, elect windows etc., for $6,800 you are getting allot.

We have become hooked on our devices. This is supposed to be a small commuter car. It wasn't intended to be a media center or tow truck, but lots of people want it to be everything to everybody. That costs extra.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
G1 said, "While $1500 is a good bit of money, especially as an option for such an inexpensive vehicle, when you stop and consider how much a system which does everything this system does would cost as an option on any other vehicle the price actually begins to make more sense. Every other automaker would charge you that much, or more, just for a navigation system without everything else this system does."

According to consumer reports, 20% of new car buyers find that their built-in "infotainment" systems DO NOT WORK. Voice recognition is really, really unreliable, and the nav systems in particular don't "get it." I can certainly vouch that the voice nav system in my wife's 2014 Camry simply does not work. You can whisper, you can shout, you can go falsetto, you can speak normally, speed up, auctioneer it, or drawl -- and it doesn't work.

Twenty percent is a staggeringly high customer dissatisfaction rating. So, while G1 is right that automakers would soak you even more than $1500 for a really comprehensive system like the Skyzmatic, it might be a better deal than the current built-ins. But I find that my $169 suction-cup Garmin (which also does a lousy job on voice recognition) does a great job of navigating at a very reasonable price.

What I don't like about the Skyzmatic approach is that in a one-person front seat, displaying information on a smart phone or iPad is guaranteed to cause distracted driving. And where would you mount the thing?

I hope that in fact Elio pumps the core data into a dashboard, and lets a variety of providers offer systems of varying cost and complexity as add-ons. I can live without much of the information on offer ... but I definitely want the rear-view camera!
I agree. There are several advantages to the Garmin. Lifetime free map and traffic updates, can be used in multiple vehicles, available with Bluetooth and voice recognition, and it doesn't depend on cellular service to navigate. And you can put it in pedestrian mode, take it with you to find your way back to your vehicle.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As for me, the only things I need above a basic Elio is the hands free Bluetooth for my phone and maybe a backup camera. Before I fill out my options on my Elio delivery I'll already know what that would cost elsewhere and decide accordingly.
For example if there is a audio-in on the Elio sound system, there's already inexpensive blue-tooth adaptors that will make the connect.

As for the offer of options in general; for those who want any option, it is VERY nice to have all that built into the vehicle financing at low interest rates.
On the other hand credit is evil and should be kept in check. Need I say more?

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I simply need a stereo with bluetooth so I can use my phone for music, occasional hands free calling, and when needed navigation. :)
That's my plan as well.
If you have an android that is 4.4+ I highly recommend enabling the "OK Google" voice activation 'from any screen' option that they added (disabled by default). You can then further enhance it by allowing it to listen even when the screen is off when plugged in.
I plug in my phone when I get in my car and can navigate, play music, make calls, send texts, etc all without touching or looking at my phone. I can't imagine any OEM system with remotely the same functionality and update frequency.

I just wish bluetooth devices (cars/headsets) had a 'voice command' button that you could map in software to the phone voice recognition option. My Subaru tries to do voice recognition on its own, and it's terrible.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's my plan as well.
If you have an android that is 4.4+ I highly recommend enabling the "OK Google" voice activation 'from any screen' option that they added (disabled by default). You can then further enhance it by allowing it to listen even when the screen is off when plugged in.
I plug in my phone when I get in my car and can navigate, play music, make calls, send texts, etc all without touching or looking at my phone. I can't imagine any OEM system with remotely the same functionality and update frequency.

I just wish bluetooth devices (cars/headsets) had a 'voice command' button that you could map in software to the phone voice recognition option. My Subaru tries to do voice recognition on its own, and it's terrible.

Wow, thanks. I am a phone nerd and participate in the AndroidCentral forums a lot. I love Google now, but how did I not know you could enable it from any screen? You just made my day, seriously. Now just tell me my Elio is ready.....

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I want a basic Elio with satellite radio, auto & cruise control. I DO NOT want blue tooth or any other system that requires a cell phone to function and to distract my driving. I feel really sorry for all the folks that are so addicted to the telephone that they can't function, or drive, without it. I want them to pay attention to the road and not be actively engaged in a long distance conservations.

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you. Talking on a phone while driving should be $100.0 fine 1st. time and drive license suspended for 90 days the 2nd. time.
How many people have almost hit you talking/texting/driving?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you where all in early, you would be working off a $5300 figure. 1k down + $500 match. Gives you some wiggle room.

I'm not in at all for now .... I won't put any money down until we get to see an Elio when them come to Raleigh in December .... even then, I'll probably hold off until they announce they are closing first year reservations .... at the point I plan to put in $100 refundable .... the reason is simple, I don't plan to buy but one .... it would suit me fine if they make 30 - 40 - 50,000 prior to ours rolling off the line .... by then we will know exactly what options we want and what we will have to pay for them

Jim

Top Bottom