• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Factory Pick Up

stu ostler

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I like the idea of picking up at the factory, (seeing the production line and all) but I was wondering about engine break-in on an almost 400 mile drive home or is break-in even a thing anymore. I haven't bought a new car in 30 years.

RonnieB

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I like the idea of picking up at the factory, (seeing the production line and all) but I was wondering about engine break-in on an almost 400 mile drive home or is break-in even a thing anymore. I haven't bought a new car in 30 years.
I would think that you would want to run her hard for the first hr. or so changing gears every now and then to get the cam worked in. If I drive my Elio home I will do just that followed by an oil change. Run her up till about 1500 miles and then change the oil one more to Mobile 1 and should be good for the next 250k or so :)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The first oil change in my truck wasn't until 7,500 miles. It isn't recommended to change the oil so quickly any more. It's been years since that has been true. "Seat the rings right" and "Drive it like you stole it if you want it to be fast" were typical things you'd hear. Not so any more. Engines now only require a few minutes of running to be "broke in" and that is done long before you'll get your hands on it. "But, I've always done that and it always works." So what? You could pour coffee on the floor every day and claim THAT's the reason it runs so good. Causality can't be proven easily.

"The admonition to keep engine revs low for an extended break-in period stems from the days when bearing and crankshaft manufacturing tolerances were far less rigorous and lubricating oil wasn't nearly as good. While modern engines are assembled to much the same design clearances, the tolerances are much tighter, meaning the variability is smaller, greatly reducing the possibility of a tight spot. Redlining a fresh motor is generally a bad idea, but there's no reason you shouldn't drive normally. " - Popular Mechanics

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In Ohio you will be able to sell Elio's because it is considered a Motorcycle and that is permitted without a dealership.
I am about 90% certain that is NOT the case. Ohio requires all new vehicles to be sold at dealerships, and they will not grant dealership licenses to manufacturers. "Vehicle" is essentially defined as anything with a motor and wheels. That includes motorcycles. Some exceptions are made for things like tractors and other special purpose vehicles. (Maybe snowmobiles and/or ATVs, that sort of thing.) Motorcycles are not an exception. If you have other sources of info about it, I'd love to hear it. I've done some checking the the Ohio codes, but I wouldn't call my research extensive. Apparently Lily May found something about autocycle definitions in the Ohio laws that I've never seen.

Maybe start a thread on the Ohio board?

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would think that you would want to run her hard for the first hr. or so changing gears every now and then to get the cam worked in. If I drive my Elio home I will do just that followed by an oil change. Run her up till about 1500 miles and then change the oil one more to Mobile 1 and should be good for the next 250k or so :)

I'll be doing THIS , worked great on my smart.....over 120K and oil analysis is better now than when I did it with 20K :D

Top Bottom