• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Factory Pickup, Retail Store Pickup, Or Delivery

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In many states, the company will not be able to own a retail sales outlet. GM tried this in Texas a dozen years ago or so and the state shut them down pretty quickly. I think Elio will have to franchise many of their "stores" to comply with state law. Maybe they could sell them all by mail order over the internet and just have service and delivery facilities scattered about. If no sales happen in a particular state they may get around the dealer laws. It would probably be easier to get franchised motorcycle dealers (as that is what this vehicle is) to sell them. many are now stocking UTVs that are almost cars.
Does this 'apply' to all vehicle (motorcycle, scooter, bicycle, skateboard, etc.) providers; or just AUTOMOBILES....... which Elio is NOT one.

Bluechip

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Does this 'apply' to all vehicle (motorcycle, scooter, bicycle, skateboard, etc.) providers; or just AUTOMOBILES....... which Elio is NOT one.
It applies to licensed vehicles, at least in Arkansas. They require dealer licensing. A franchise motorcycle dealer cannot sell a 4 wheel street legal vehicle without getting a franchise auto dealer license. This is just new cars, used dealers are totally different. My understanding is many states have similar franchise dealer laws. If they farm out service, then they could just sell them over the internet I guess, but not sure they can make their numbers that way. Every one of us that gets one, (assuming we do get them) will end up being free sales force for Elio.

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In many states, the company will not be able to own a retail sales outlet. GM tried this in Texas a dozen years ago or so and the state shut them down pretty quickly. I think Elio will have to franchise many of their "stores" to comply with state law. Maybe they could sell them all by mail order over the internet and just have service and delivery facilities scattered about. If no sales happen in a particular state they may get around the dealer laws. It would probably be easier to get franchised motorcycle dealers (as that is what this vehicle is) to sell them. many are now stocking UTVs that are almost cars.
Texas may be about ready to scrap the franchise tax. It's only a rumor right now.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will the shipping charges be the same for everyone no matter where you live?

http://www.kbb.com/car-advice/articles/destination-charges/?r=614396846123971400

From Kelly Blue Book

Have you ever wondered what you're paying for when you buy a new car and the paperwork lists tax, license and destination charge? What is the destination charge all about? Well, if you've seen the trucks carrying cars on the highways or freight trains stacked with new vehicles, you are basically witnessing the service your destination fees pay. The fee is usually in the neighborhood of $400 — $800 per vehicle and no amount of negotiating will make it go away.
Logic would tell you that if you lived near a port or a particular automotive assembly plant, you could potentially pay less for the destination fees — not so. The destination charge is calculated by each manufacturer based on something called an "equalized delivery." In other words, they factor the cost of shipping all vehicles in the line and "equalize" the cost so the fee is "equal" for all car-buyers.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Makes sense to me . It costs to deliver a vehicle cross country. Had a military vehicle recreated in New Mexico and cost $1500 to have it shipped to Florida, so this is a viable part of total cost to put The ELIO in your hands, unless you go to the factory and even then this equalized delivery cost may well remove that advantage! RB

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This delivery fee is interesting, I tried to pick up a truck at the plant years ago and was told that I couldn't. Then when I was at the Corvette plant I found out why you cant do this, it's because the manufacturers have contracts with the trucking company's that say that the trucking company transports ALL vehicles from the plant. You can pickup a new Corvette near the plant from the museum but it first gets shipped to the Chevy dealer nearby then they deliver it to the museum, you then don't have to pay the delivery fee but you have to pay for museum delivery which cost the same.

Top Bottom