• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

L.a. Auto Show...gimme Input

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are my "Always On" lights on my '98 p/u one of the reasons I get 19 mpg? Would I get 20 if they were LED? Just curious if regular bulbs cause that much drag on the charging system.

Tada! Found a quick video that kind of answers your question. I think the only downside of LEDs is the initial cost. Hope the link works.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny, though -- they never did the obvious calculation of how much gas the average car with conventional lighting used to keep 'em lit, vs. the same for LED ligihting. Didn't even do it for the Mustang. One wonders why not? And one suspects the net difference isn't dramatic enough to impress anybody. Collectively LEDs obviously are a good thing, but on an individual basis (per car), they may not show much difference.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny, though -- they never did the obvious calculation of how much gas the average car with conventional lighting used to keep 'em lit, vs. the same for LED ligihting. Didn't even do it for the Mustang. One wonders why not? And one suspects the net difference isn't dramatic enough to impress anybody. Collectively LEDs obviously are a good thing, but on an individual basis (per car), they may not show much difference.

Agreed. Seemed a lot like a commercial. No doubt LEDs are more efficient, but 'show me' the math [It's a Missouri thing ;)].

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The main reason I can see for going to LED is that you can put an equal light output in a smaller space.
Remember when every car and truck had to have big round headlights? They changed the law, and styling went through some drastic changes.
Now that we can have an LED that's smaller than the small squares or small round, they can do styling that's more aerodynamic because you have even smaller lights to work with.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been told lights on the underside of a car shining down on the ground are illegal. Is this true?

If so, then wouldn't lights on the underside of the wheel fenders shining down on the ground also be illegal?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The main reason I can see for going to LED is that you can put an equal light output in a smaller space.
Remember when every car and truck had to have big round headlights? They changed the law, and styling went through some drastic changes.
Now that we can have an LED that's smaller than the small squares or small round, they can do styling that's more aerodynamic because you have even smaller lights to work with.
I do not like light concentrated in a small space. Remember, that is what a welders arc is. It is a light that is concentrated in a small space that also concentrates in a small space on the retina of the eye. This is bad for the eye. The more light is spread out over a larger area, the easier it is for the eye.

As a curiosity, some of my old cars have the four headlight system and they do a far better job of nighttime illumination than anything else I have encountered. The problem is, they are no longer chic.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not like light concentrated in a small space. Remember, that is what a welders arc is. It is a light that is concentrated in a small space that also concentrates in a small space on the retina of the eye. This is bad for the eye. The more light is spread out over a larger area, the easier it is for the eye.

As a curiosity, some of my old cars have the four headlight system and they do a far better job of nighttime illumination than anything else I have encountered. The problem is, they are no longer chic.
Not like welding, just more like this
upload_2015-11-29_20-38-44.png
upload_2015-11-29_20-39-15.png

Top Bottom