• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

L.a. Auto Show...gimme Input

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Toward the end of the LA Auto Show, I visited it with a friend. Just as the previous two times I had seen the Elio, I wore my homemade badge consisting of my avatar, my name “pistonboy“, and “elioowners.com”. I do this because previously, other members of the forum have been present, they recognized me, we met, and we enjoyed talking to each other.

My previous visits seeing the Elio have been pleasant, but this visit was different. The tour person I talked with was highly defensive, stressing over and over, the vehicle was a prototype and not completely representative of the production vehicle. It was strongly and repeatedly stated, changes would continue to be made and only the last of the engineering vehicles could be guaranteed to be identical to the production vehicle. I asked to see the engine, one person opened the hood, another person wanted to close it saying that is what the engine on the stand was for, but I put my arm in the way pointing to something to prevent its closing. Also, it was stated that what had been said earlier (at the LA Auto Show) was published by my “group” (remember I was wearing my elioowners.com “badge”) and had gotten people in trouble. This is not just my observation. After leaving, my friend commented the tour person did not like talking to me.

This does not personally bother my. I would be embarrassed if I was so thin-skinned that someone venting bothered me. Actually, I believe I help people by letting them vent. It is therapeutic. I am sure the LA Auto Show is far more stressful than other events.

I did learn the climate control unit would be mounted behind the panel and only the knobs would protrude through and show on the front. I had other questions but decided this was not the time to ask them.

Obviously, our forum is monitored. (I discovered this on a previous visit but never mentioned it.) If we go to these events and report, we should leave off the names of the tour personnel we talk to.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When you wear a tag identifying yourself as a part of an organization and decide to publicly vent it is a reflection on every member of your organization, many who may or may not totally agree with you.
....."I would be embarrassed if I was so thin-skinned that someone venting bothered me."......
Wonder how you would feel if someone came to the place you worked and started "venting" with a lot of strangers and potential customers around and you couldn't respond because it was your job to be polite. It isn't nice to make someone your personal punching bag when they aren't allowed to fight back.
Don't know how many hours the tour folks work in a day, but I don't think you could pay me enough to do that job.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When you wear a tag identifying yourself as a part of an organization and decide to publicly vent it is a reflection on every member of your organization, many who may or may not totally agree with you.
....."I would be embarrassed if I was so thin-skinned that someone venting bothered me."......
Wonder how you would feel if someone came to the place you worked and started "venting" with a lot of strangers and potential customers around and you couldn't respond because it was your job to be polite. It isn't nice to make someone your personal punching bag when they aren't allowed to fight back.
Don't know how many hours the tour folks work in a day, but I don't think you could pay me enough to do that job.

KNOW THIS: I NEVER VENTED. I NEVER EXPRESSED ANY HOSTILITY. I WAS POLITE AT ALL TIMES AND JUST LISTENED. I FEEL SYMPATHY TOWARDS THEM.

I AM USING ALL CAPS AND I AM SHOUTING.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
KNOW THIS: I NEVER VENTED. I NEVER EXPRESSED ANY HOSTILITY. I WAS POLITE AT ALL TIMES AND JUST LISTENED. I FEEL SYMPATHY TOWARDS THEM.

I AM USING ALL CAPS AND I AM SHOUTING.

Sorry.
Your post gave the impression that you vented.
Reading your post just brought up bad memories of the days when I had to drive 100 miles in a snow storm to attend a customers Christmas party and then couldn't drink and had to baby sit some of the other members of our national sales team who drank too much and acted stupid.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That's very unusual; the tour group has always been good with us, and the members have always been very cordial.
This is the first time I have heard of a tour group member being defensive or "short" with someone.
He might have just been having a bad day, or maybe he was new to the group and not used to the pressure that they have to put up with.
I know I couldn't do it day in and day out without blowing up at someone.
I'm not trying to make excuses for them; it's like I said, this is the first time I've ever heard of something like that happening.
Sorry you had a bad experience with them.

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I REALLY hope nothing I said, and reported, got anyone in trouble. I tried not to embellish, project, or assume anything. Attempted to the best of my abilities to only write what was in my notes. And if anything said seemed strange to me I tried to get double affirmation on the statement. If Elio is reading this and I am the offending party please drop me a pm here to make me aware of what is wrong. I will do my best to fix the situation. :(:oops:

My experience was nothing but cordial and very uplifting.

P.S. They did mention there are multiple groups and forums. I'm hoping it was just a confusion as to which forum it was.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a possibility; there is a group called IHateElio or ElioHaters or something like that; it could have been someone from one of those sites that sent him into a defensive mode.

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I REALLY hope nothing I said, and reported, got anyone in trouble. I tried not to embellish, project, or assume anything. Attempted to the best of my abilities to only write what was in my notes. And if anything said seemed strange to me I tried to get double affirmation on the statement. If Elio is reading this and I am the offending party please drop me a pm here to make me aware of what is wrong. I will do my best to fix the situation. :(:oops:

P.S. They did mention there are multiple groups and forums. I'm hoping it was just a confusion as to which forum it was.
U did just fine Karnaj! Don't worry about what people say on here. Most r full of bs as u will soon find out.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Yep! What Husker1 said. You did great. I (we...because it can't be just me.) really appreciate viewpoints from people that have actually had the opportunity to see (P1, P2, P3, P4 and especially P5) in person...I'm not one of them. Personal input and pics are all people like me have to go by, and I sincerely appreciate it. Don't feel bad at all. You da man :rockon: (or at least one of them) in my book.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I thought your report was excellent and I would love to see more like it.

Top Bottom