• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Loss Of Luster

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Elio, or any business for that matter, would get out of advertising conspicuously on their web site, their financial status versus as you point out, good reviews, ratings, ie marketing stuff. If it were my business, I'd probably do the same thing. I'm sure a lot of people prior to the collapse of Bear Stearns were of the opinion nothing could be safer than asset backed securities, it was all bundled in nice, neat packages for anyone to see plain as day.:(

There is definitely risk to getting involved with Elio Motors, or at least that's what I took it as when I looked at the "Reservation Agreement" the first time when I was getting ready to pay for my reservation and read "This Agreement does not constitute an agreement for the sale of a vehicle and does not lock in pricing, a production slot, or an estimated delivery date. You are under no obligation to purchase a vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a vehicle." I read that, and along with the rest of what I read, was ok with going "all in" for something I thought was both a good idea and if it does get built I can get in on the ground floor. That's not to say Elio might not flop, it might.

Regarding parts, I'm not sure that prices would go up any more than they do for electronics, household supplies, clothing and so on which have all seen drops in prices over time. I think the primary reason we see increases in vehicles is partly legacy costs, but also because these are mature markets and one of the best ways manufacturers have to make money is by adding stuff, granted some of the "stuff" is for safety, but if your vehicle does not really need power steering, four wheels, and spring loaded hood latches, etc, etc, etc..... well I'm ok omitting those things if the savings gets passed along to me.:D
Well said John. Thanks for your input.;)

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A longer wait won't result in increased pricing for off the shelf parts. EM's Parts Supplier PARTNERS will be happy to supply large quantities of bolts at a reasonable price point. The long wait is more likely to result in no purchase orders for bolts and any other component parts.

Is the APPEARANCE that EM is in a good place at the moment? I believe the plant can be set up in 3 months, but only after prototypes are built, tested, and the hiring process is underway.

How many months are required to build and test prototypes before the 3 month factory tool up? The good news is EM said long ago that the first prototype build to roll out would be used for factory tooling. Perhaps EM is in the process of secretly building one as we post.
Perhaps. Let's hope that's the case.;)

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
jetpack54 wrote: "From what you're saying, If Comau is to be believed that they can set up the plant in 3 months time then there's nothing to worry even if EM don't get the funding approved until the end of this year right?"

So, Um,
there's another step before Comau's 3-month setup,
The prototype design finalization... right?
... which is to be determined through the construction and testing of the Evaluation series of 18 to 26 (P-5) prototypes, right?
... at the projected cost of thirty million dollars (ha-ha-ha).

So, Um,
all of that will become just (somehow, magically?) manifest and complete during our current six months in time (by the end of 2015), right?

So, Um
, THEN the plant's assembly line will be fully configured and operated through trial & troubleshooting, fully completed and functional, with production employees hired and operationally orientated ... in the first 3 months of 2016, Right?

Ha-Ha-Ha

"We are buried beneath the weight of information,
which is being confused with knowledge;
quantity is being confused with abundance,
and wealth with happiness.
We are monkeys with money and guns."
(Tom Waites)

P.S. All the "so-um, right?, ha-ha-ha" is my mimicking of Paulio's -signature- talk (technique).
I do think the time frames are getting tight, and I'm sure Elio Motors is aware of that with sizeable penalties waiting for them if they don't start hiring this coming year. Why do you think the prototype design is not finalized?

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do think the time frames are getting tight, and I'm sure Elio Motors is aware of that with sizeable penalties waiting for them if they don't start hiring this coming year. Why do you think the prototype design is not finalized?

I'm sure Elio Motors already knows they won't hit their next deadline too....

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to think the Elio specs are finalized and the design and engineering phase is frozen and ready for the prototype build. On the other hand I think it's not and I won't believe it until I see an actual prototype build up and running. The time frame is very tight with little momentum for a long while now.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to think the Elio specs are finalized and the design and engineering phase is frozen and ready for the prototype build. On the other hand I think it's not and I won't believe it until I see an actual prototype build up and running. The time frame is very tight with little momentum for a long while now.

Critical thinking aside, Elio had the design pretty much finalized
when they changed the roof line, rear seat height, not to mention
the nose job. Modeling is a very real thing in today's engineering
world so not to worry the design is about as tight as they can get it.
What with frequent supplier meetings the cost components are as
well. It really is down to money to fund the safety testing. So anyone
with a rich uncle, get him on the phone & sell, sell sell.......

Past Fanatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors has said that they need to BUILD and TEST (including crash tests) the numerous "E" Series prototypes BEFORE they can "finalize" the design. Hopefully little change or 're-design' will be required, BUT there is still precious little time (and less MONEY) to accomplish this in order to meet the 'current' production projection.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Critical thinking aside, Elio had the design pretty much finalized
when they changed the roof line, rear seat height, not to mention
the nose job. Modeling is a very real thing in today's engineering
world so not to worry the design is about as tight as they can get it.
What with frequent supplier meetings the cost components are as
well. It really is down to money to fund the safety testing. So anyone
with a rich uncle, get him on the phone & sell, sell sell.......
I wasn't thinking pretty much finalized, I was thinking finalized, ready for prototype builds, ready to test/crash test, tweak any 'minor' faults/failures, retest, and finally head to the production line. So much to do and so little time.

Top Bottom