• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyway - getting back to mirrors, the entire regulations, bikes and cars, as well as everything else,can be found here - http://cfr.regstoday.com/49cfr571.aspx#49_CFR_571p111
And I agree, substituting cameras for mirrors would be a great innovative and progressive idea, but change comes very slowly to these regs, I think the original ones are on clay tablets.... We are still using railroad regs written 150 years ago, and still requiring compliance to them. Just last year, the American Public Transportation Assoc. (APTA), finally got a change in the 'grab handles' you see on the sides of the locomotives and in the passenger cars. Prior to this, they all had to be "one solid piece steel hammer forged with no welds". Since the blacksmith retired several decades ago, it was hard to procure these items, even though hollow titanium CNC cut and welded ones were available.
The Motor vehicle regs are the same, mostly written after WW2, and pretty much the same with extras added almost daily.

True regs are slow to change, but I'm okay/prefer a mechanical link to brake system instead of going to drive by wire like accelerator (in some cars). I don't see manufactures developing back up systems to back up systems (like they do in airplanes), it costs money. On multi million dollar airplanes cost is insignificant, on cars it would be a significant cost. Regulation changes that could increase a vehicle's mpg should be able to be fast tracked.........Not that I would expect Elio to do this, but do you know of any manufacture actively pursuing a regulation change for mirrors?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
True regs are slow to change, but I'm okay/prefer a mechanical link to brake system instead of going to drive by wire like accelerator (in some cars). I don't see manufactures developing back up systems to back up systems (like they do in airplanes), it costs money. On multi million dollar airplanes cost is insignificant, on cars it would be a significant cost. Regulation changes that could increase a vehicle's mpg should be able to be fast tracked.........Not that I would expect Elio to do this, but do you know of any manufacture actively pursuing a regulation change for mirrors?

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers recently filed a petition with NHTSA to change the mirror regulations to allow cameras.

http://www.automedia.com/Blog/post/...o-replace-side-view-mirrors-with-cameras.aspx

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I learned that riding a motorcycle.
Motorcycling is a fine way to get off the beaten trail. To witness nature at her very best and to visit some very remote areas, try whitewater rafting and kayaking. I have been in paces in the USA where it felt as though no one may have set foot for tens of thousands of years if ever. Now that obviously can't be but it just feels that way. Amazingly wonderful!

Last edited:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some of the best parts of America are its back road scenery and eaterys
Amen! I make a point to visit what I call 2-Lane America whenever I travel. With today's GPS systems, you avoid the intimidation factor of not being able to find your way to your destination. (OK, I once took a road in Wyoming that looked like a state highway . . . that after a couple of miles turned out to be some guy's driveway. :oops:)

The interstates are wonderful for those for whom the goal is just to "get there", for interstate trucking, and for those who don't really enjoy new experiences. Think of all the small town fairs, cultural festivals, music, food, and people you'd never meet elsewhere. Go sit in the stands of a local baseball game as the volunteer fire department hosts the VFW team. Enjoy a Coke from a iced washtub under the stands, or a hot dog from the Methodist Men's Association or the Elks. That 2-Lane blacktop is a time machine.

We miss a lot out on that arrow-straight super slab that shoots us cross-country at 70 mph (plus). That's not the real America that's composed of country roads, small towns, historic places, and scenic venues. If you think driving is more about the journey than the destination, I'm with you. One of my fondest wishes for my Elio is being able to take weekend road trips with my wife as my RIO.

Top Bottom