• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Pep Boys To Provide Service / Maintenance

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are some aftermarket warranties that work like you suggest however it requires a network of adjusters or farming it out to a contractor to insure you're not getting ripped off. They might want to do something like that for areas not otherwise covered, however for a start up company to do this wide spread it would be a huge money risk that they wouldn't want to deal with.
Well, what about the health insurance model then? They set the rates for repair work and then pay it out when it gets billed. For example, alternator replacement: $85 for the part + 1 hour of labor at $90/hr.
Okay, this has some issues as well, because shops would have to agree to the prices ahead of time, but if Elio set up a rate schedule to show around, I'm sure I'd be able to talk my local garage into being "in-network"

Sidecar Bob

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Give them a break!

EM stated that they are still working on support for the last 10%.

By the time the auto cycles start arriving EM will have a solution.

Have the recommended services done by your local service center, (who ever), and keep the receipts.

Most Companies accept this as acceptable to meet their service requirements.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, what about the health insurance model then? They set the rates for repair work and then pay it out when it gets billed. For example, alternator replacement: $85 for the part + 1 hour of labor at $90/hr.
Okay, this has some issues as well, because shops would have to agree to the prices ahead of time, but if Elio set up a rate schedule to show around, I'm sure I'd be able to talk my local garage into being "in-network"
That still doesn't address questions like is the alternator actually bad. Did the owner make any modifications that void the warranty. That's why you need the adjustors. Your shop might be the nice guy's but what about the next shop that sees EM as a source of easy money.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had some work done on my Daihatsu by Midas in Eureka, CA. I was not impressed with their service and felt their prices were high. I am better off with AAA or even Bosch as there is one of them in Roseburg. Midas is in Eugene - 1 hour away or Medford - 2 hours away. :) Z
Where I live, no matter who was picked to do service, I am looking at an hours drive. I keep saying I live in the middle of NOWHERE!

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That still doesn't address questions like is the alternator actually bad. Did the owner make any modifications that void the warranty. That's why you need the adjustors. Your shop might be the nice guy's but what about the next shop that sees EM as a source of easy money.
A fair point. A couple people brought up AAA. Maybe the first step towards being approved as being in-network for warranty repairs is to be certified by AAA?

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Give them a break!
EM stated that they are still working on support for the last 10%.
By the time the auto cycles start arriving EM will have a solution.
Have the recommended services (repairs) done by your local service center, (who ever), and keep the receipts.:)
Most Companies accept this as acceptable to meet their service requirements.

10% of what? 90% of the U.S. is not covered under the current proposal. JMO. It will take 5 to 10 more service center company's to cover the rest.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
10% of what? 90% of the U.S. is not covered under the current proposal. JMO. It will take 5 to 10 more service center company's to cover the rest.
Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming.... no service centers and though the population isn't huge, there are a lot of miles to cover. (I'll probably have to move back into that area shortly after getting my Elio)

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any expectations that Elio, or any company for that matter, will provide 100% coverage for anything everywhere is unrealistic. Try to find a service center for your Ferrari within 50 miles of your home town. That does not prevent Ferrari owners from buying a Ferrari and it will not dissuade many of us from buying our Elio's. I still say give them time to fully develop their service agreements and agents

Top Bottom