• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Shreveport Plant Operations And Personnel Questions

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe everyone understands the plant will not be occupied for another few months, because the proto's P5's are being built in Michigan...so..where in Michigan??? Let's find the builders and go and get some pictures. Time to become a detective and be the first on the block to see the new P5..the engines are probably there by now and I bet you might be able to see a new P5 driving around. or at least take some pictures of the place. Another item of interest is there anybody actually in the phoenix office? Go knock on the door, the address is on the website. If there is no one there from elio, who picks up the mail?..again we need a detective in phoenix! The elio is there this week-end so somebody should be in the office right! Make the wait fun folks.

We know where the prototypes are built. All the prototypes have been built by this company: http://www.technosports.com/

I expect Elio themselves to eventually put P5 build pics on their blog just like the P4 build pictures. Check out the Elio Motors blog at: http://eliomotors.wordpress.com/

paddy's wagon

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Your verbalizing the very problems the Elio folks are facing. Economy of scale.
One could also say, "counting your chickens before they hatch".

I wonder how much capital the Elio production effort will require, today, to get started?
Prolly a few hundred million.

I don't want to think this but a Chinese sugar daddy(s) could lift this off the ground, but they would prolly want a board seat or two.

Elio's vision would need to meet reality, IMO. Don't bash me it's just the way I'm reading the tea leaves. Sales stores may have to be attached to Wal-Mart.

May my keyboard be cursed for typing this.

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the current number of reservations (15,840) and the yearly production number (250,000) I am concerned that after all the time and hype that at full rate production (694 Elio's per day) there is only 23 days of production work for the plant. I believe that the only ace in the hole is that the public has not seen it yet. I am banking on the public seeing the Elio and falling in love with the concept and the styling. So are any of the members here concerned as I am?

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the current number of reservations (15,840) and the yearly production number (250,000) I am concerned that after all the time and hype that at full rate production (694 Elio's per day) there is only 23 days of production work for the plant. I believe that the only ace in the hole is that the public has not seen it yet. I am banking on the public seeing the Elio and falling in love with the concept and the styling. So are any of the members here concerned as I am?
Build it and they will come.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe that 250k/yr is full production capability of the plant, not what they are planning on actually producing. A number I've seen a few times is 250/day. When I contacted Elio, they had said that they were planning on working through their reservation list in about a year.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that 250k/yr is full production capability of the plant, not what they are planning on actually producing. A number I've seen a few times is 250/day. When I contacted Elio, they had said that they were planning on working through their reservation list in about a year.

I think there has been a bit of confusion about the 250K number. As stated 250K is not where production will begin but what they plan to eventually be able to produce at the Shreveport plant.

The first step they have stated is to reach a production level of 250 vehicles a day with a single shift five days per week. This production rate would allow them to produce about 65,000 vehicles in a year. They could double this rate by adding a second shift and expand it further via additional equipment and weekend shifts to reach 250K per year.

Also the production line will not produce 250 vehicles on the first day but ramp up over time to reach that level as they work out bottlenecks and kinks in the assembly process and balance the work load at each station. They have already stated it will take them about 7 weeks just to produce the first 4000 vehicles.

My estimate is that it will take them about five months to produce the 16,000 vehicles they have reserved at this time. The good news is that by that time they should be hitting 250 a day out of the line so they will be able to crank out 5000+ vehicles each month with just a single shift.

Last edited:

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your premise is wrong to begin with, but that aside, if you will go to the Q&A on the Elio website, one of those questions is: Is the Elio available worldwide, or something of that nature. The answer was Not yet. Elio has plans for an International market. I found that much out in OKC. The principle reason you cannot make the numbers work is that where facts are concerned. you are working with half a deck!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lol. Not at all. Give them some time. Once parts are available and the initial line is set up, it won't take long at all before they can run it pretty fast. 250/day is very doable.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure once things get hot and heavy and they open up the International Market, they will build a plant on both the East and West coast near a port. JMO

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your premise is wrong to begin with, but that aside, if you will go to the Q&A on the Elio website, one of those questions is: Is the Elio available worldwide, or something of that nature. The answer was Not yet. Elio has plans for an International market. I found that much out in OKC. The principle reason you cannot make the numbers work is that where facts are concerned. you are working with half a deck!

I'm not seeing that those two posts are mutually exclusive. You can (for instance) plan for 65,000 cars for the domestic market and then scale up production at a later time planning on sending an additional 10,000 cars to Canada, 30,000 cars to Mexico, [insert more cars and countries here] for a grand total of 250,000 cars per year.

But you're not going to do that in the first year.

Top Bottom