• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Test Drive / Ride And Drive Events

where can I test drive?

• answer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • advice

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Good info. You write well for a young guy. What engine and transmission will be in the P5 and the pre-production vehicles?

The drivetrain in the P5 and pre-production vehicles are supposed to be pre-production versions of the actual IAV/Elio engine and whatever transmission they have decided to use in the vehicle. We have heard Aisin mentioned a fair amount as the transmission supplier, even from direct Elio sources, however this has never been officially confirmed. I do suspect the first vehicles will have manual transmissions as the AMT's may take a bit more work to make ready.

Thanks for the writing compliment! You are actually not the first person to have commented on my writing. I suspect it has something to do with all the proposals and reports I have to prepare for the government projects I have been involved in over the last decade.:rolleyes:

Thanks G.O., I stand corrected. :) It sounds like the P5 will be done at some point, and we may not know when it's done, and perhaps when the tooling is set up and the 24 pre-production vehicles are close to completion, the P5 "might" go on tour?

No worries, it takes a lot of work to keep track of all this information and sort through what we know for a fact, what is semi-confirmed, and what is purely speculation. :)

I expect EM to let us know once things really get rolling however they do tend to delay information to make sure everything works out. I know they have suffered some delays waiting for the engine to be completed however I do hope they begin building the P5 as expected in the next few weeks.

I do expect to see the P5 and/or pre-production units eventually hit the tour along side the P4. My guess is that when these vehicles become available we will see the P3 retired from the tour just like the P2 has been retired.

Richad

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I would love to know how we will choose auto versus Manual if there arn't any local cars to try out when the time comes. I'm all in for 1000 and thinking I will be around #7000 according to Elio. In my opinion if each Pep Boys had each version that could work but I'm sure that won't happen. Any ideas?

Moderator Comment: Moved to test drive thread

Last edited by a moderator:

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would love to know how we will choose auto versus Manual if there arn't any local cars to try out when the time comes. I'm all in for 1000 and thinking I will be around #7000 according to Elio. In my opinion if each Pep Boys had each version that could work but I'm sure that won't happen. Any ideas?

Moderator Comment: Moved to test drive thread
Pep Boys is only for maintenance, not sales showroom.

As I understand it, the transmission is Manual, one with manual clutch, the other with Automated clutch and shifting, or just automated clutch with manual shifting, not really sure on that. The AMT with the computer controlling the clutch is supposed to be more fuel efficient. If this is correct, then you do not need to test drive to decide what you want.

If you wish to have your left foot free of responsibility then get the AMT. If you want to do all the left foot work yourself with less mpg, then get the manual.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The major item protecting occupants from a t-bone or side impact in most vehicles is a well designed reinforced door and door frame. On the right side of the Elio there is no door just a complete welded roll cage which should be much stronger than any door.

the frame pictures I've seen, like the one below, show a door cutout on the right side
elio frame 3.jpg
.... do they plan to put a horizontal bar across the door cutout to help strengthen that area from a side impact

Jim

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Question: how difficult would it be to modify the manual transmission to make it an automatic post-purchase? If that were possible, it would make it easy to go with the manual and change if we needed/wanted to at a later date.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Top Bottom