• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was talking about CVTs (Continuously Variable Transmissions) in general, which isn't what the Elio will have.

The Elio will have a Manual with an option for an AMT (Automated Manual Transmission), which are essentially the same except that the clutch pedal and shifter on the Manual is replaced with a computer controlled actuation system to change gears in the AMT.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If only it were that easy.

I know how and have driven manual transmissions for many years however, after a motorcycle accident, I now have a left knee that just doesn't work like it used to and I need an automatic transmission. Hey, at least I can still walk :)
Yep, The fact that not much works on/in me like it used to is why I need the AMT as well. Break a leg and one may not be able to drive their PMT (Precious Manual Transmission). I miss the PMT!.

TMOSteel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If only it were that easy.

I know how and have driven manual transmissions for many years however, after a motorcycle accident, I now have a left knee that just doesn't work like it used to and I need an automatic transmission. Hey, at least I can still walk :)

I hadn't driven a stick in years, and I have to say (and this could just be Suzuki) that my current '09 SX4 Crossover and '99 Tracker Convertible before that had a much softer clutch than back in the day. My first manual was a 79 Mustang 2.3l Turbo, and then an 82 Firebird SE after that.

If its been a while for you (and it sounds like it) you might want to see how the Elio feels when it comes out and decide then.

I also test drove a Subaru Crosstrek with a manual trans when it first came out, and the pedal was absolute mush.

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The writing is on the wall. Manual transmissions will totally disappear shortly. Few cars, except some econo-boxes and high performances models even offer them. DoubleClutchManualAutomatics are significantly more efficient, shift five times quicker than any manual and rev match automatically, and are less expensive to produce than the usual hydro-automatic (even though they are now very sophisticated and efficient). The Elio will have a SingleClutchMA, but the advantage is still with the automatic over the manual version. Serious race cars (like all formula cars, for example) have abandoned the manual years ago. Any racer using one would be at a significant disadvantage in today's racing environment.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One item on my bucket list is to teach my 26 year old son how to drive a Manual Transmission . You simply can't rent them anymore and was hoping to buy my Elio with a proper clutch/shift setup . Alas , best laid plans and all that ....... I will probably buy a cheap Wrangler , teach my boy and sell off the Jeep quickly . Then , on to teaching him how to play Poker ;)

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oiling or something? I honestly don't know, I've just heard people whining about it. :p

Did some research. Keep in mind, design philosophies vary greatly between manufacturers.

CVT's have a fluid to replace.
Sometimes it's a simple Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) although it changes to a proprietary fluid with certain years and is not necessarily standard.
The change interval also varies from 30k to 100k. The fluid change is not too in depth.

There is also a torque converter that eventually requires maintenance.

I still think that a CVT is a better solution for small to mid sized vehicles (compared to Automatic transmissions) and NOT a good solution for high torque high HP applications including sports cars and towing.

The CVT still has a lot of evolution ahead of it.

The manual transmission and it's automatic clutch brethren are really the best solutions for the Elio

Top Bottom