• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Talk Me Into Taking The Plunge Thread

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
If you read all the information from EM and on here you will learn that EM has currently reached 81 mpg, if I remember correctly, and I believe the prototypes have reached over 100 mph (not that I care because I would never drive that fast). However, they are very clear when you make your reservation that there are NO guarantees. Just like there is no guarantee that when you walk out of the door today, you will survive to walk back in. I, for one, made my reservation based on a commitment to the idea and my trust in EM's commitment to producing it and meeting every one of those goals. But I also accept that there is no guarantee that it will happen. If for some off the wall reason the Elio does not happen, I will still have had the experience of a life time simply being part of the journey to Elio production. This is truly the most amazing trip of my life and I am enjoying every minute of it. :) Z
The over 100mph is a computer projection, I asked at an event and they haven't even taken it up to full interstate speed, just local highway speed.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Really???? I thought I read somewhere top speed was 107mph that was just from a simulation?
Yup, 107 is a computer simulation, so is 81mpg. It's a projection based on what the IAV efficiency is supposed to be, not a measurement from the current 20yr old engine.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
hi=
I'm the guy, if there were others great, but im all in for 1k, and want in for$100.
and yes if i can get a premium price on my 1st I'll use that money to pay down the second. There is no negative affect with my relationship with EM, they are selling cars. They know I want two, and i'm not locked into either, walk away from first out 1k, walk away from "want in", get my $100 back.This offers me may options -a possible premium price won't last longer then they become dealer available,I figure 6-9 months. got no shame, I think it also offers whatever bugs might show up on early runs- On paper lots of stuff looks good ,EM doesn't walk on water, and NO ONE can tell what'll happen after 10k+ of real road use. I wish us all good luck moving forward and each of us finds what we are looking for in this revolution/evolution of the internal combustion engine.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is no reason for sticker shock. You can go to your state websites and find out what the tax, title and licensing fees will be. Elio Motors will let us know what the delivery fee is once they know what it is. But they are determined to keep it fair as with everything else. If you want an estimate of potential delivery fee (and I do not mean dealer prep but only delivery fee) go to a local dealer and look at their price lists. Hopefully they are honest enough to list delivery fee separately from all their dealer prep garbage separately. That will at least give you a ballpark amount. :) Z

I think any shock will come from the destination, title, registration, and any 'prep' fees not scaling down in price the same way the vehicle price has. For a car 'sold' at 20k, you would probably walk away paying 22.2k after tax and fees, a ~11% bump. But with a car this price and the same fees, you're looking at a jump from 6800 to 8286 (~22% more!).

(this is all assuming my local 6% sales tax and registration/title fees)

They could sell the car for $1k but it would still be over 2k after tax and fees.

Maybe i'm naive, but that was a bit of a surprising realization to me.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think any shock will come from the destination, title, registration, and any 'prep' fees not scaling down in price the same way the vehicle price has. For a car 'sold' at 20k, you would probably walk away paying 22.2k after tax and fees, a ~11% bump. But with a car this price and the same fees, you're looking at a jump from 6800 to 8286 (~22% more!).

(this is all assuming my local 6% sales tax and registration/title fees)

They could sell the car for $1k but it would still be over 2k after tax and fees.

Maybe i'm naive, but that was a bit of a surprising realization to me.
I have one advantage and that is no sales tax in Oregon. I don't consider any fee I can know in advance such as registration/title fees a shock because I have made it a point to look them up. I will also look them up in January to make sure they have not increased so I won't be shocked. Remember, when you are buying from a traditional dealership they are also free to ramp up the prices to increase their profits. That will not be true at EM. We don't know what the delivery charge is yet because that can't be determined until the transporter companies have seen and weighed the vehicle so they know what to quote. EM is planning to equalize those fees which does mean near states buyers will pay the same as distant state buyers but apparently that is normal for this industry. Since I live in a distant state, I am glad to say the least. I would be lying if I said I didn't feel that way. Because I am a low, fixed income I have to take my breaks where I can so I will take that one. :-) Z

BTW if you ever check the price of the same item in different size containers you may be surprised that 2 of the smaller containers is less expensive than the same amount in one large container. This is not always true but it is not unusual in liquids and even dairy items. Why? Because most people just assume the larger container costs less per ounce and do not bother to question the accuracy of that assumption. Also think about it. It takes the same number of people and time to register a little Elio as it does a Hummer so there is no reason to scale down the fees. :-)

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Once you add in tax, title, and delivery fees it most certainly will not be 6800. I feel like that's where the majority of the sticker shock will be.

I don't think the people concerned are talking about the price with all these other things included, just the vehicle price...many believe it will have to be more than $6800...

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trust has to be earned. With the production dates being pushed back several times I can see why people are a little worried. After all this isn't the 40's and 50's where a persons word was a better than any contract today.
My feeling is I think Paul should spend some time at the GM plant, photos and video of what he plans on doing and what has been done so far if anything. Right now as I can tell the GM plant is just like it was when GM moved out. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
A couple years ago myself and a lot of my friends were HOT to get on the wagon with the Elio but now they are about like me, WHEN I see them on the streets and can drive 30 miles to the GM plant and pick up one then it will be real. Pray next September ('15) isn't another disappointment again.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trust for me is justified based on progress made to date in a very complicated process......some setbacks should be expected.......some out of EM's control in terms of plant politics and waiting on suppliers to provide the completed engine and build status of the 25 prototypes.........progress is being made and reported daily to maintain my trust along with many others who have made reservations.

No reason to be in the plant at this point in time......other than to inventory equipment........decide what's needed and what can be sold to generate funds. Plant activity along with hiring and training should step up a notch next year.........moving a little closer to production.

Top Bottom