• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This Weeks Tech Talk Is All About Interiors

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I never really thought about dashes before, but I definitely like a concept of an LCD panel which you can configure however you want. The only thing I really look for is red/orange color for preserving night vision - which is one of the reasons I've had so many Pontiacs. That concept that Elio posted however *shudder*

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
i think i will get the ugly as hell, and hard to read instrumentation panel...that way it will be "one of two<" and extremely collectible... Paul will be the other one.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I actually like the elgin design but I agree that it may not be as easy to read as the standard dash and I would prefer to keep costs down vs. the cool look.

Since I only learned of the Elio last Thursday I've got some catching up to do but the number one thing that popped into my head was that I would really like to have a rear view camera that would replace a conventional rear view mirror that we know is useless in this design. It would be awesome to have the display integrated into the dash or instrument cluster.

As an avid motorcycle rider I anticipate that you would have normally good viewing from the side mirrors but even on a motorcycle I still need to turn my head and look in back of me while pushing back into a parking spot. Even a small 2" view like the kind placed in rear view mirrors would be extremely useful when piloting the elio backwards.

Jeff

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I actually like the elgin design but I agree that it may not be as easy to read as the standard dash and I would prefer to keep costs down vs. the cool look.

Since I only learned of the Elio last Thursday I've got some catching up to do but the number one thing that popped into my head was that I would really like to have a rear view camera that would replace a conventional rear view mirror that we know is useless in this design. It would be awesome to have the display integrated into the dash or instrument cluster.

As an avid motorcycle rider I anticipate that you would have normally good viewing from the side mirrors but even on a motorcycle I still need to turn my head and look in back of me while pushing back into a parking spot. Even a small 2" view like the kind placed in rear view mirrors would be extremely useful when piloting the elio backwards.

Jeff
Rearview camera mirror system on EBay $38.99

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jeff

If you draw a wedge and come in a little from the point on the long end and draw a line across, the small wedge left is your blind spot. I think on this car, judging from the width of the back, I would say your blind spot would be a wedge about 16in wide and less than 3ft long. JMO

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If you draw a wedge and come in a little from the point on the long end and draw a line across, the small wedge left is you r blind spot. I think on this car, judging from the width of the back , I would say your blind spot would be a wedge about 16in wide and less than 3ft long. JMO

If you draw a wedge and come in a little from the point on the long end and draw a line across, the small wedge left is your blind spot. I think on this car, judging from the width of the back , I would say your blind spot would be a wedge about 16in wide and less than 3ft long. JMO

I understand it may be hard for some people to visualize the fact that this vehicle really does not need a rear view camera. When you get to sit in one in person adjust the mirrors and have someone stand behind it and you will quickly realize that the only rear blind spot is just like Craig describes, my estimate is about 18-24 inches wide and extending about 3 feet from the rear of the vehicle. Of course if you would feel better with a camera to cover that blind sport by all means please get the camera.

Last edited:

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you draw a wedge and come in a little from the point on the long end and draw a line across, the small wedge left is your blind spot. I think on this car, judging from the width of the back , I would say your blind spot would be a wedge about 16in wide and less than 3ft long. JMO
I considered the rear blind spot while I was at the Knoxville showing. The blind spot is exactly as you describe, but only below the level of the rear deck. Above that, the view in the mirrors overlaps right at the tail of the deck.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I considered the rear blind spot while I was at the Knoxville showing. The blind spot is exactly as you describe, but only below the level of the rear deck. Above that, the view in the mirrors overlaps right at the tail of the deck.

Good point Zipper! What this means is that the rear blind spot of the Elio is actually better than the blind spot of a normal car as the Elio is a narrower vehicle. In your average car you also can't see the first few feet below the rear deck of the vehicle. This view is actually worse in SUV's which is why so many SUV's come with rear view cameras today.

Top Bottom