• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

This Weeks Tech Talk Is All About Interiors

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with others about the Lord Elgin dash. It seems this is the worst received design option yet. The good news is it is optional.
In their 'Tech Talk'.... they said they were 'considering' is as STANDARD..... let them know THAT is a DUMB idea! We want something, RELIABLE, INEXPENSIVE, OFF-THE-SHELF, and easy to get the INFORMATION at a GLANCE!

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In their 'Tech Talk'.... they said they were 'considering' is as STANDARD..... let them know THAT is a DUMB idea! We want something, RELIABLE, INEXPENSIVE, OFF-THE-SHELF, and easy to get the INFORMATION at a GLANCE!
I like the cluster in my Sonic. I don't know who makes it for Chevy.

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction, I could have read it too fast first time around. Or I could have been in disbelief that would be the standard cluster.

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone that has been it the Elio noticed the steering shaft? I started wondering about this because most cars the steering shaft goes along the side of the engine, in the Elio it would have go around the engine.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone that has been it the Elio noticed the steering shaft? I started wondering about this because most cars the steering shaft goes along the side of the engine, in the Elio it would have go around the engine.

This is a great question. From an engineering point of view I can think of several ways to handle this however I would like to see how they did it. I will check this out on Tuesday when I visit the P4 in Savannah.

Paolo

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'd like to send the following message to someone pertinent at Elio motors:

I suggest that the quaint ‘Elgin Watch’ instrument cluster is a very bad idea. Those small 'number' based gauges (Lord Elgin Watch) will likely significantly increase the initial incident/accident rates upon product roll-out.

Numeric images require extra visual and mental effort to interpret. That is OK for a watch, bad for a driver. Observe that numeric displays are never (or very rarely) used in race cars as they are too dangerous (see 1st link provided below). My apologies to the people involved in the design, but this is the first big and obvious design error seen so far.

Please apply the 'Think Safety First' guideline as was promised in the promos and use needle based gauges.

There is a reason for using needles. They are the easiest, fastest, most informative, and safest type of gauge to use. A quick glance at a needle tells you everything you need to know - intuitively. The moving needle provides much more data than a single number display (see 2nd link). The needle is much taller and easier to see than the little digits of the 'Lord Elgin' gauge. This is quite important to those whose eyes are no longer 'perfect' and use 'bi-focals' or to those who are far-sighted.

A few web links that help provide rationale and detail for safe effective automotive instrument layout (NHTSA and AAA also have data but not referenced here):

www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/571/dashboard-gauges-needles-numbers
http://blog.visual.ly/speedometer-design-why-it-works/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_instrument_cluster
https://www.aaafoundation.org/sites/default/files/EvaluatingDisplays.pdf (old but still relevant)

Personal note: I (and every one of my associates that I've shown them to) think these gauges are ugly to extremely ugly. (Sorry to Paul and the interior design team).

Consider using a fully digital (programmable) display or at least use an instrument pod configuration that can be easily 'adapted' or replaced with alternate units. This is potentially good for marketing 'upgrades' or dealer options. This is also where the 'Lord Elfin' display can be made available if Paul Elio feels the need to keep it around.

Finally, I have a gauge suggestion. If you'll excuse my quick-and-dirty concept paint sketch, we could have a little fun with the Elio name here. Ideally, all the red lines will be horizontal at the typical driving conditions - suggesting 'even keel'.

Paolo Musante; reserve 2562
[attempting to attach image...]

Attachments

• Gauge-Cluster.jpg
    Gauge-Cluster.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 387

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to send the following message to someone pertinent at Elio motors:

I suggest that the quaint ‘Elgin Watch’ instrument cluster is a very bad idea. Those small 'number' based gauges (Lord Elgin Watch) will likely significantly increase the initial incident/accident rates upon product roll-out.

Numeric images require extra visual and mental effort to interpret. That is OK for a watch, bad for a driver. Observe that numeric displays are never (or very rarely) used in race cars as they are too dangerous (see 1st link provided below). My apologies to the people involved in the design, but this is the first big and obvious design error seen so far.

Please apply the 'Think Safety First' guideline as was promised in the promos and use needle based gauges.

There is a reason for using needles. They are the easiest, fastest, most informative, and safest type of gauge to use. A quick glance at a needle tells you everything you need to know - intuitively. The moving needle provides much more data than a single number display (see 2nd link). The needle is much taller and easier to see than the little digits of the 'Lord Elgin' gauge. This is quite important to those whose eyes are no longer 'perfect' and use 'bi-focals' or to those who are far-sighted.

A few web links that help provide rationale and detail for safe effective automotive instrument layout (NHTSA and AAA also have data but not referenced here):

www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/571/dashboard-gauges-needles-numbers
http://blog.visual.ly/speedometer-design-why-it-works/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_instrument_cluster
https://www.aaafoundation.org/sites/default/files/EvaluatingDisplays.pdf (old but still relevant)

Personal note: I (and every one of my associates that I've shown them to) think these gauges are ugly to extremely ugly. (Sorry to Paul and the interior design team).

Consider using a fully digital (programmable) display or at least use an instrument pod configuration that can be easily 'adapted' or replaced with alternate units. This is potentially good for marketing 'upgrades' or dealer options. This is also where the 'Lord Elfin' display can be made available if Paul Elio feels the need to keep it around.

Finally, I have a gauge suggestion. If you'll excuse my quick-and-dirty concept paint sketch, we could have a little fun with the Elio name here. Ideally, all the red lines will be horizontal at the typical driving conditions - suggesting 'even keel'.

Paolo Musante; reserve 2562
[attempting to attach image...]
Thank you Paolo. I think you need to send this directly to Elio Motors as this site is independent albeit very interested and involved. If you go to the Elio Motors website you will find the necessary contact information and I sincerely wish you and all of us luck. I wear "bifocals or blended lenses" and reading some things is very difficult. I like the fact that you do more than complain you also offer documentation and suggestions for improvement. Good job! Z

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would not have an issue with the watch inspired dash as an option but I agree the standard dash should be an analog dash, preferably from another manufacturers parts bin to keep costs low.
I have a1996 Saturn Sc2 and the dash instrument panel looks just like the analogue dash on the P4 also had 1999 Saturn SL1 Same dash. Covers what you need> will love watching the gas gauge read full for probably the first 100 miles. My 96 Saturn doesn't move till i have about 60 miles on a tank of gas. Double D.....PS springs coming< I haven't had a new car since 2002, lets get this thing rolling out the door by 1st 1/4 2015.....If not I'll be looking for something else.

Grayfox72

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If you look at my avatar you will note I ride a scooter and it's not the usual looking ones (futureistic looking). The instrument panel is all digital with the speedo having large numbers and the fuel/temp using bars to indicate what is happening. Very impressive, but not good for driver safety. At night the panel is lit up like a christmass tree , during the day the speedo is very dim, just about see the numbers. And if the sun is shining and the instrument panel you see nothing. I always had analog gauges with needles because they are easy to read . I don't like the proposed Lord Elgin instrument panel and if this is they way Team Elio is going I intend to rip them out and have analog gauges installed..... We all need to get this point across to Elio this attempt to change something for ( a memory ) does not sit well with the design of the vehicle nor the safety.

Farm Boy

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Take a look at this dash. Set it up however you want. Simple to go from MPH to KPH to.
Car dashboard design
According to mood arbitrarily changeable because all is only one a flat screen. Here the stylized right round instrument shows instructions for the navigation.

armaturen-design.jpg
armaturen-design.jpg

Instruments and dashboards in cars
Unusual and innovative instruments and dashboards in cars and other vehicles.

Fair car & sound Sinsheim 2005

Fair report of the electronics car fair at Sinsheim in 2005. Main focus navigation with logbook, dashboard tuning and the most useful sound mobiles.
Car dashboard tuning
armaturen_dir.jpg
What as looks here as round instruments is in reality a flat screen. You would see it at last, when the demo program switches to the next layout.
armaturen-design_dir.jpgarmaturen-designs_dir.jpgnavigation_dir.jpgrueckfahrkamera_dir.jpg
t this dash option, set it up however you wa

Attachments

• armaturen-design.jpg
    armaturen-design.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 166
Top Bottom