• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thoughts And Observations

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Forward or backward, if they hit my stationary vehicle it's 100% their fault.
If I'm coming down the road or parking lot @ the legal speed limit...
And they're unavoidable after pulling out in front of me, they're still 100% at fault.

Again, we're talking about the Elio and it's invisible fenders.

So... I still don't see the point of increasing the overall risk by giving them the opportunity.
Their fault or my fault. I just don't want to hit or (extremely likely with this advice) be hit.

My father broke his neck when he was a teenager and had limited side to side motion.
That would be the only reason I would ever consider backing an Elio into a parking spot.
And even then, I'm not sure I'd take that much of an increased risk of a collision.
I've never had a "close call" from inching backward out of a tight parking spot.

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Forward or backward, if they hit my stationary vehicle it's 100% their fault.
If I'm coming down the road or parking lot @ the legal speed limit...
And they're unavoidable after pulling out in front of me, they're still 100% at fault.

Again, we're talking about the Elio and it's invisible fenders.

So... I still don't see the point of increasing the overall risk by giving them the opportunity.
Their fault or my fault. I just don't want to hit or (extremely likely with this advice) be hit.

My father broke his neck when he was a teenager and had limited side to side motion.
That would be the only reason I would ever consider backing an Elio into a parking spot.
And even then, I'm not sure I'd take that much of an increased risk of a collision.
I've never had a "close call" from inching backward out of a tight parking spot.

I need to move to where you live, the laws and drivers with the exception of some crew cab operators sound much better than where I am. Here if someone pulls into my path and I hit them, I am at fault, There is no "unavoidable" collision. If you hit someone because you couldn't avoid them, you are charged with failure to control your vehicle, speed unsafe for conditions, etc. Unless you hit a motorcycle, then the laws are different. "I didn't see the motorcycle" has been an acceptable defence, but we are working on it.
I regularly see people texting while driving in a parking lot. Yesterday, while riding home, I watched both front seat occupants, driver and passenger, texting in the car next to me. While the car was moving at 40 mph. They were probably texting each other...

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are we overthinking this? Accidents happen, that's the norm. While lots can be avoided, most are just plain driver error.
Do what You know to be right and trust your instincts. If it feels wrong it probably is!
You can't help what others do, only what You do!

Wait...Are you suggesting that people take responsibility for their own actions? :confused:
That's so "20th Century"! :rolleyes:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see it being a problem....
The E is 1/2 as wide and a smaller track....
And since I use the handicap spaces.... I don't foresee a big problem ☺
Ah...(Pun intended)... But that's the issue.
It's only 1/2 as wide in the middle and back.
With the outriggers, it's wider than some compacts :D

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Never heard of Can Am Spyders or T-Rexxs having this problem. They're so unusual looking that people pay attention them more than your 'standard' 4-wheeler. I'm sure the Elio will have the same effect.
Yeeeeaaah...
You may have a point there.

But what's going to happen when there's a million of them...
The novelty has long worn off, and the tank drivers are sick of looking at them?
Besides, my experience is that people are far more careful around a $60K machine...
Than they are around a $7K machine.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeeeeaaah...
You may have a point there.

But what's going to happen when there's a million of them...
The novelty has long worn off, and the tank drivers are sick of looking at them?
Besides, my experience is that people are far more careful around a $60K machine...
Than they are around a $7K machine.

Hopefully rocket launchers and proximity deterrents will be on the Elio Configurator by then. ;):D

Top Bottom