• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thoughts And Observations

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Related to this subject, I have been wondering about a particular part of parking. I haven't sat in the any of the Elio models, but how easy is it to see the position of the front of the wheel covers?

The reason I ask is because I understand that the Elio has the same ground clearance as most cars, but normally when most people part their cars against the curb, they know when to stop from the tire hitting the curb. With the standard wheel covers coming down low on the front of the tires, their could be significant damage to the cover if you hit the curb.

View attachment 11216 View attachment 11217 View attachment 11218
You just learn not to go forward too much. It's something we deal with with our miatas, which have front spoilers low enough to get damaged if bumped against the curb or parking stop.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I ride my motorcycle to the store, a larger one, such as a grocery store, if I spend any significant amount of time shopping, when I return to my motorcycle I find the cars now parked on either side have encroached substantially on the parking space I am using. Sometimes parking so closely that I need to roll my bike out of the space before I can open the saddle bags. I know why they do it, they are mindless "centering" their car in the empty space that appears when the car that was parked next to me exits. The stores have sized all the lines for (what now passes for) mid-size and compact cars. Don't believe it? The next time you are in a big lot, look for two full sized vans or pickups parked next to each other. Why should you care? Well, like me, you will soon own a motorcycle-with-roof. If you don't already own a motorcycle, you may be surprised by the general car-driving public's attitude toward the less than four wheeled set. The takeaway? Be prepared to replace fender skirts, and learn to back in to parking slots.
Speaking of fender skirts and the public, I also have been wondering how long I will have my new Elio before I find someone or someones using the outriggers as a park bench. They always look surprised when I tell them that they can't sit on a motorcycle they don't own. It should be interesting to add "and the fender you just broke will cost you $X00.00..."

These comments are just my random thoughts and observations, they are not meant to inflame, incite or start an argument. You probably will not believe it if you don't already own a motorcycle. You may not believe it if you do own a motorcycle and only travel to places that are populated entirely by civilized, considerate people. Please do not attack the messenger.

You brought up a good point. The uninformed will undoubtedly try to sit on the fenders. I may have to install a row of spikes like a roosters comb on top of the fender . I do know some unthinking uninformed people.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Related to this subject, I have been wondering about a particular part of parking. I haven't sat in the any of the Elio models, but how easy is it to see the position of the front of the wheel covers?

The reason I ask is because I understand that the Elio has the same ground clearance as most cars, but normally when most people part their cars against the curb, they know when to stop from the tire hitting the curb. With the standard wheel covers coming down low on the front of the tires, their could be significant damage to the cover if you hit the curb.

View attachment 11216 View attachment 11217 View attachment 11218

Good grief!!! You must be a witch. Your post is almost word for word what I was about to post.... :peace:

Top Bottom