• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can add that my F150 weighs ~4,000 lbs. and is rated to tow up to 5,800 lbs.. I did tow a hard sided camper that weighed the same as the truck and it was a bear going up hills and talk about a wind catcher! Trailer brakes are an asset as they do not tax the car brakes plus they keep the trailer from pushing the car.. If a truck passes and you start to sway just tap the trailer brake switch on the brake control and it adds tension from the car to the trailer keeping everything straight.. Too light hitch weight is scary, been there done that.. Watch how you load any trailer or it will wag the tow vehicle and with an Elio with only one rear wheel this would be a bad thing!

Ray

Last edited:

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hope the hitch mount is capable of pulling the weight of the car. I will have a piece of square with a ring welded to it. Just pop it in, hang a cable hook on it and get my car pulled out of a snow bank. They need a toe cable ring for in the front as well. JMO

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Ralphe from Henderson that is very funny. However, since I'm looking for a place to sleep as I travel I think I will stick with my Mini Mate Tent Trailer. LOL Of course it will eventually have to be "dressed" to match my Elio but that can wait. Hmmm, I wonder how much the manufacturer would charge me to match the Elio at least in color. Do they make print tent fabrics? Sigh! So many things to think about. And such fun! LOL :-) Z

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We need some better input on this from Elio. While many use motorcycles to tow trailers all warranties are not created equal and many of them become void if the cycle has a hitch installed. While I believe a small load could be properly distributed could be towed, the basket concept that started this thread off would be a bad idea on an Elio. Every pound you put behind the rear wheel is going to take pressure off the front axle. I use one of these regularly on a car and I can feel the difference in the steering even if the cargo is only a loaded cooler. In my case I'm rear wheel drive. Taking pressure off your drive axle would only compound the problem.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only math I was worried about is the price which is north of $3.5K. At that price I'd just buy a second Elio and have the wife follow me around!
I like the way you think. Even my little Mini Mate Tent Trailer is $2995 and it doesn't go anywhere by itself. Somehow that simply does not seem right! LOL :-) Z

Top Bottom