• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is a build it yourself teardrop for sale. It's called Chesapeake light craft. It's mainly a boat building do it yourself with lessons but just started building teardrop trailers on the cheap and the finish of the trailer and the layout is a blank page! They use marine grade plywood and they cut them into puzzle pieces and use fiberglass sheets and epoxy to seal and cover the wood for complete weatherproofing without having to paint it, I plan to though to color coordinate with my Elio. website http://www.clcboats.com/teardrop. I think its light less than 50lb tongue weight.
Have built 3 boats, two kayaks and a canoe, (only first was from Chesapeake) the last 2 from Canadian Companies.
Pics are from my living room when I was in Florida- Summer the beast was tamed with A.C. and Pandora (Should mention I
was recently divorced, so I built them in my Living Room) This was the first (had plywood sides stripped deck)
we're
IMG_0582.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have built 3 boats, two kayaks and a canoe, (only first was from Chesapeake) the last 2 from Canadian Companies.
Pics are from my living room when I was in Florida- Summer the beast was tamed with A.C. and Pandora (Should mention I
was recently divorced, so I built them in my Living Room) This was the first (had plywood sides stripped deck)
we'reView attachment 11489View attachment 11490

That is really impressive. I rebuilt a Harley in the living room one winter. (post divorce of course). The canoe is more impressive. My complements.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Very nice! I worked for Dagger Canoe in the early 90's. We made rotational molded Kayaks (plastic), but the prototypes were made from cedar strips, so I got to "see" the processed a few times. :thumb:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Haha.,I rebuilt my sporster in the family room one winter... still married :p
I built a boat out of 2 liter pop bottles in the living room once.

Actually a related funny story is my son-in-law said this helped in Iraq once. He was a ranger and they were setting up a forward base of some kind. They had to get a generator system across a river but they were so 'forward' they had no means to get it across for up to a week. There was even transport on the other side if they could only get it there. Not so good.

But he noticed that Iraq is super dirty along the rivers, and this spot is no exception, lots and lots of 2 liter bottles all over the place. Then he remembered my bottle-boat. They had lots of high quality tape, something like duct-tape times 4. Built a raft using structure methods based on my boat. And that worked perfectly for the 'bottle-neck' problem they had.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very nice! I worked for Dagger Canoe in the early 90's. We made rotational molded Kayaks (plastic), but the prototypes were made from cedar strips, so I got to "see" the processed a few times. :thumb:
I didn't mention, that the 18' cedar strip kayak weighed 32 lbs. (just a bit heavier than one of my cats!)
On the downside, and although I built them for my own needs, when I sold them to generate enough money to move onto the next, I couldn't sell it for a price that even covered the cost of materials. The closest analogy would be quilters, who after all the effort probably translates to $1.00/ hour or less for their labor.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Beautiful. Obviously it took a lot of work.

Top Bottom