• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/14/2015 - Elio Motors Engine Debut (with Photos!)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
In UK we have to put our vehicles through an annual safety check known as the MOT test. If the vehicle fails, it can't be driven until the defects are rectified and the insurance will also be deemed invalid. If you get caught driving without insurance they will impound your car. HID headlights mean an instant MOT test fail and there's no let out by trying to go elsewhere in an attempt to pass - everything is now on a computer database and once the fault is on there, there is no hiding it. If you drive without the test certificate, there are now number plate recognition cameras linked to the database computer, they are at service stations, fitted to police cars, everywhere.

Geeezzz Talk about Big Brother watching everything.
We have inspections here in the PNW but they say it's for emissions testing (aka a way to ding you for some money) and if you fail there are a number of ways around it; like show that you received $400 in repairs to rectify it and you'll get a pass. None of the impounding your car. And the only time they check for insurance is if they pull you over, then it adds a bunch of $ to your ticket and you have to get proof after.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I immediately noticed the fairly wide "outrigger" headlight pods on the Ford racer, which are there to get the car through the IVA test. Elio will have to fit something similar to their 3 wheeler if they want to sell them in UK.

Just need to make a custom front clip to support your headlights at the "UK legal" distance apart...Think hammerhead shark. ;)

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those interested in the rules for getting an Elio registered in UK, here's a link to the testing manual:
Interested, yes, anywhere in the realm of reality, no. Ah well, I guess I will just drive the Elio and make real loud Vrooming noises and pretend... I will check out the link though, for grins.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mike, I wouldn't really expect many in USA to be really interested and posted the link out of frustration, I suppose.

I really would like an Elio and when I saw the P3 version, I was sure it would be possible to use one here. Since the P4 appeared, which involved a fairly radical design change to the front end, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to own one.

Having built my own car, which had to be done to comply with these design regulations (the factory built car didn't have to go through the same testing procedure because it predated it's introduction and would have failed for a number of reasons), I know what's involved and how strictly the rules are enforced.

People keep giving me advice and encouragement but unless there is a "UK version", I'm not hopeful.

However, I'm really pleased to see the recent progress with the engine. If I can't have an Elio, maybe I'll just stick with the old Suzuki Swift and buy an Elio engine, turbocharge it and bolt it in!

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've never been across the big pond but the ones around here are paved yet bouncing is a fact of life .... it seems as if every time they fill a pothole, they create a speed bump .. :confused: ..

That was my point, most of the roads I drive on are nothing but patches on patches on patches, between potholes - if they were actually paved, as we are paying for, this would not be a problem.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The rules here in UK do already cater for vehicles like the Elio. In theory it should be quite straightforward to register an Elio but there are a lot of design requirements to be met and the lighting design regs need to be complied with. Any non-EEC type approved vehicle needs to undergo and pass a detailed design/safety inspection before it can be issued with a certificate so that it can be road registered. The inspection type relevant to the Elio is known as the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval, or MSVA. It will come under the classification of a "bodied motor tricycle" (not quite the same group as the Canam Spyder which is more like an open motorcycle with two front wheels). As far as I can see, Elio will need headlights on outriggers (or P3 style bodywork with those stylish side pods on the nose cone) to get the headlights within the maximum distance of 400 mm of the outer edge of the vehicle.

Also, HID "upgrades" have recently been deemed illegal over here. Too many people were fitting cheap and nasty aftermarket kits which can cause terrible dazzle to oncoming traffic. In UK we have to put our vehicles through an annual safety check known as the MOT test. If the vehicle fails, it can't be driven until the defects are rectified and the insurance will also be deemed invalid. If you get caught driving without insurance they will impound your car. HID headlights mean an instant MOT test fail and there's no let out by trying to go elsewhere in an attempt to pass - everything is now on a computer database and once the fault is on there, there is no hiding it. If you drive without the test certificate, there are now number plate recognition cameras linked to the database computer, they are at service stations, fitted to police cars, everywhere.
WOW.

And I thought California regulated everything to death.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WOW.

And I thought California regulated everything to death.

One of the dubious benefits of living in Europe is that we are at the mercy of faceless rule makers. Faceless rule makers have to justify their existence by making more and more rules. Eventually, we will all become criminals because it will be impossible to avoid breaking some rule or other.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of the dubious benefits of living in Europe is that we are at the mercy of faceless rule makers. Faceless rule makers have to justify their existence by making more and more rules. Eventually, we will all become criminals because it will be impossible to avoid breaking some rule or other.
Isn't that the case already? I know I'm already breaking some obscure law or other pretty much every minute of the day. Selective enforcement is where the real power is. You can harass anyone at any time for SOMETHING.

Top Bottom