• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/14/2015 - Elio Motors Engine Debut (with Photos!)

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Scrooged" is a polite way of putting it
Strangely enough, difficult as it might seem, the UK is one of the only EU countries (might be the only one) where we can build our own vehicles for use on public roads. Other countries such as France won't allow it at all and I understand there is a market for ex UK built and registered vehicles in other parts of the EU; once registered its easier to get them re-registered elsewhere (after all, we're all meant to come under the same legislation.....aren't we?

I would imagine a strong market for the Elio in Europe so I'm sure these design issues will be addressed. I certainly hope so. Thirty years ago, as someone who commuted on two wheels every working day and got tired of the terrible winter weather, I said if someone ever marketed a covered motorbike, I'd buy one. I still would. I drive 45 miles each way and see single occupied, enormous people movers. We're getting it wrong. We need to get more single occupancy drivers in small, light vehicles such as the Elio.
You mentioned " commuted on two wheels every working day and got tired of the terrible winter weather". UK has a strong affection for motorcycles and I find this amazing since UK has some of the worst riding weather. Excellent.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Strangely enough, difficult as it might seem, the UK is one of the only EU countries (might be the only one) where we can build our own vehicles for use on public roads. Other countries such as France won't allow it at all and I understand there is a market for ex UK built and registered vehicles in other parts of the EU; once registered its easier to get them re-registered elsewhere (after all, we're all meant to come under the same legislation.....aren't we?

I would imagine a strong market for the Elio in Europe so I'm sure these design issues will be addressed. I certainly hope so. Thirty years ago, as someone who commuted on two wheels every working day and got tired of the terrible winter weather, I said if someone ever marketed a covered motorbike, I'd buy one. I still would. I drive 45 miles each way and see single occupied, enormous people movers. We're getting it wrong. We need to get more single occupancy drivers in small, light vehicles such as the Elio.
Is it true that in some European countries, it is illegal to change the color of the car?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score

You said "the UK is one of the only EU countries (might be the only one) where we can build our own vehicles for use on public roads. Other countries such as France won't allow it at all"

Now I see where the USA got its stubborn streak of independence.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lower MPG/overall power reduction would not be the end result. Direct drive of the compressor is MORE efficient than an electric unit. To turn the compressor with a belt requires, obviously, mechanical energy from the crankshaft. To run an electric unit requires that mechanical energy to be converted to electricity via the alternator, which then may or may not go through being stored in the battery by charging it, then discharging it, then you would need to use the elctricity to turn an electric motor which turns the compressor. ALL of these steps robs power. NO conversion along the way is anywhere CLOSE to 100% efficiency. And despite they MANY people do not realise this, EVERY watt generated by the alternator was created by putting MORE than 1 watt of equal load resistance at the alternator shaft. You don't get ANYTHING for nothing in physics.
The advantage of an electric unit would be that you can run the compressor using the battery as a power supply buffer so you can run the pump all the time but replenish the power supply at the more efficient times of engine operation, like highway cruising or idling. That is essentially the basic premise of a hybrid vehicle as well. But in terms of pure efficiency, direct drive is the way to go.

Well said! :cool:

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You said "the UK is one of the only EU countries (might be the only one) where we can build our own vehicles for use on public roads. Other countries such as France won't allow it at all"

Now I see where the USA got its stubborn streak of independence.

Thankfully we are a nation of petrol heads!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
BOOM!!!! :D

One thing I noticed right away though, there's an AC compresser bolted onto it? o_O

Gotta hear it run, gotta hear it run, gotta hear it run!! :D:p:rolleyes:

info has recently been released that EM no longer plans to go with an electric AC unit but will us a standard automotive unit .... to me that's good news

Top Bottom