• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/14/2015 - Elio Motors Engine Debut (with Photos!)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One more thing about those three pictures... They weren't taken on the same day most likely. The oil lines by the oil filter are different on one of the pictures indicating a change was made (or it's a different engine). I wonder if the change was made for performance reasons (indicating performance data was captured), cost reasons, or if it's a different engine with a modification from the original design either for cost, availability, or performance reasons... Hmm...

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very cool! Might be my new desktop wallpaper. But I'm curious. The first pic has what looks like your standard oil filter by-pass adapter for an external oil cooler. The second pic has an adapter with an integrated oil cooler, and by the size of the lines, I'd assume it's using coolant from the radiator...never came across that type. Can anyone clarify?

I've seen it used before. By using oil lines into the cooling system it is easier to maintain a constant oil temperature. Cooling it better during warm weather, and warming it up faster during the cold times. Most automatics from the days gone by do the same thing with the transmission fluid.
The different changes we can readily observe in the pictures is probably due to design changes as they started matching everything up!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I too was surprised to see the AC compressor. I have seen threads and posts to the effect the AC would be an electric unit - so as not to drain power/lower MPG form the engine.

if they test it with an AC compressor and vacuum pump that will not be there on production motors, because of the reduction in power needed to operate the AC/Vac pump, motors without them should perform even better

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
if the test it with an AC compressor and vacuum pump that will not be there on production motors, because of the reduction in power needed to operate the AC/Vac pump, motors without them should perform even better

Correct, or at least give them more wiggle room to adjust for milage. :eek:;)
I also agree, there shouldn't be an air pump on this one. o_O EGR valve will take care of any possible emission issues. IMO

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You know what I notice in these pictures? Not an air filter number or compressor....

from looking at the pictures, doesn't it appear that the air filter will have to be mounted somewhere in the engine compartment and connected to the motor via duct work

Top Bottom