• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/14/2015 - Elio Motors Engine Debut (with Photos!)

Kegger

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I've read that the A/C compressor was going to be an electric pump, not connected to the serpentine. Since that's the case, what is the pulley that appears to have a clutch on it? Or is that a clutch at all? (Triangle shape with 3 prongs coming out of it, at the bottom left of the engine when looking at it on the belt side.)

edit:
It just dawned on me that it may be a centrifugal clutch, designed to put 0 load on the engine while it's starting, but engaging when the rpm are fast enough. Still though, what is that pump?

edit again...:
So that actually appears to be a magnetic clutch that is identical to the magnetic clutch on the air pump of some Mazda engines. That thing that it's attached to doesn't look like an air pump (to me). Oil pump? It wouldn't be the water pump would it?

Many air pumps have magnetic clutches. Or did a decade or so ago before most switched to electric air pumps.

Behold a 1993 Mazda RX-7 air pump with magnet clutch:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRls9WHDSet6Q5YwcMEGTCQbyZexsR3pijIJrUCUfbwiqsYcBsF.jpg

Last edited:

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've read that the A/C compressor was going to be an electric pump, not connected to the serpentine. Since that's the case, what is the pulley that appears to have a clutch on it?

It is a magnetic clutch. It is an A/C compressor. I think it's because it will have a belt-driven A/C. Goodyone says it's just for testing purposes just in case they go with a belt-driven A/C:
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/1-14-2015-elio-motors-engine-debut-with-photos.5572/page-5

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I would bet money (up to a nickle) that there are still nay sayers on the facebook page.

Without a doubt. When there is a video released of the engine running and purring along, there will be naysayers. And at each big step after this, there will be naysayers, fer sher. :)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a magnetic clutch. It is an A/C compressor. I think it's because it will have a belt-driven A/C. Goodyone says it's just for testing purposes just in case they go with a belt-driven A/C:
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/1-14-2015-elio-motors-engine-debut-with-photos.5572/page-5

I don't know for sure whether the final A/C will be elecric or not however I did hear Jerome Vassallo in Charlotte say the new A/C system is all electric. It is however logical to go ahead an test the engine as designed with an A/C compressor for maximum flexibility as EM could always find another supplier and go back to the original plan. :)

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Without a doubt. When there is a video released of the engine running and purring along, there will be naysayers. And at each big step after this, there will be naysayers, fer sher. :)
There will be naysayers even after they start production and cars are rolling off the line. Some people are just born negative.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

ain't that the truth .... after they are in production and on roads all across the country, much the same crowd will find somethings to be unhappy with .... in the interest of full disclosure o_O, if their grips center on the Elgin dash, count me among them ;)

Last edited:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I too was surprised to see the AC compressor. I have seen threads and posts to the effect the AC would be an electric unit - so as not to drain power/lower MPG from the engine.
Lower MPG/overall power reduction would not be the end result. Direct drive of the compressor is MORE efficient than an electric unit. To turn the compressor with a belt requires, obviously, mechanical energy from the crankshaft. To run an electric unit requires that mechanical energy to be converted to electricity via the alternator, which then may or may not go through being stored in the battery by charging it, then discharging it, then you would need to use the elctricity to turn an electric motor which turns the compressor. ALL of these steps robs power. NO conversion along the way is anywhere CLOSE to 100% efficiency. And despite they MANY people do not realise this, EVERY watt generated by the alternator was created by putting MORE than 1 watt of equal load resistance at the alternator shaft. You don't get ANYTHING for nothing in physics.
The advantage of an electric unit would be that you can run the compressor using the battery as a power supply buffer so you can run the pump all the time but replenish the power supply at the more efficient times of engine operation, like highway cruising or idling. That is essentially the basic premise of a hybrid vehicle as well. But in terms of pure efficiency, direct drive is the way to go.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lower MPG/overall power reduction would not be the end result. Direct drive of the compressor is MORE efficient than an electric unit. To turn the compressor with a belt requires, obviously, mechanical energy from the crankshaft. To run an electric unit requires that mechanical energy to be converted to electricity via the alternator, which then may or may not go through being stored in the battery by charging it, then discharging it, then you would need to use the elctricity to turn an electric motor which turns the compressor. ALL of these steps robs power. NO conversion along the way is anywhere CLOSE to 100% efficiency. And despite they MANY people do not realise this, EVERY watt generated by the alternator was created by putting MORE than 1 watt of equal load resistance at the alternator shaft. You don't get ANYTHING for nothing in physics.
The advantage of an electric unit would be that you can run the compressor using the battery as a power supply buffer so you can run the pump all the time but replenish the power supply at the more efficient times of engine operation, like highway cruising or idling. That is essentially the basic premise of a hybrid vehicle as well. But in terms of pure efficiency, direct drive is the way to go.
Thank you for that.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

it would be in keeping with their general approach to making such choices for EM to choose the cheapest method that will do the job .... to me is does seem that the electric one would be the easiest to install

Top Bottom