• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/16/2014 - Jalopnik.com - Six Things That Could Kill Elio Motors Before It Even Launches

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No way it will not meet emission standards for autos, that is a deal breaker for too many and just not a real hurdle when designing a high efficiency engine from scratch. Guy just likes to whine , and can't be bothered to seek the facts. Actually would fit right in with mainstream media :)

What it does mean, now that I think on it, is that it won't be inspected in areas that require that of "cars" and not "bikes",,,, a Plus
No more waiting in line at the emission control center?:eek: I can live with that!:D

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Our sad little author is in good company though (these are all true):

“There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share.”
Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO (April 2007)

“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.”
Ken Olson, president Digital Equipment Corp (1977)

“Within the next two decades autos will be made with folding wings.”
Eddie Rickenbacker, pilot (1924)

"Remote shopping, while entirely feasible, will flop.”
Time Magazine (1966)

“Cellular phones will absolutely not replace local wire systems.”
Marty Cooper, inventor (1981)

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Read it. Liked it. Has *some* meaty objections. Always like those.

It concludes: "in reality it's just quirky, likable, and affordable vaporware."

Yes. And...?

vaporware? That right there should, if you have money invested, disappoint you at the very least. He's telling you that you just threw your money away and that you are a fool. Also, his list of 'who this person is' offended quite a few of us.

Last edited:

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No way it will not meet emission standards for autos, that is a deal breaker for too many and just not a real hurdle when designing a high efficiency engine from scratch. Guy just likes to whine , and can't be bothered to seek the facts. Actually would fit right in with mainstream media :)

What it does mean, now that I think on it, is that it won't be inspected in areas that require that of "cars" and not "bikes",,,, a Plus

It's always easier to say "No" than "Yes." It's always easier to criticize something new than to embrace it. Repeating the conventional wisdom is easier than having an original idea.

Chris F.

BillZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not worth the bits, nor giving him the free exposure. When you don't understand the concept, and insist on looking at it from the same perspective as has "always been" you get what has always been. I'd live to have the money for a Tesla, I would not spend it on one. Not because I don't like it, I really do , just too much money for a car. My perspective, probably not his.
I too really liked the Tesla and even bought on the IPO when it came out. I decided against holding that stock when I considered, although it's electric, you still use conventional fuels to create the electricity, so you're not really helping the environment all that much.

I like the Elio because it's a step in the right direction, with a goal of reducing the emissions. How much of a reduction remains to be seen because the testing of the new engine will actually yield those figures. I believe by supporting this automotive innovation, I am supporting a paradigm shift towards better use of our resources. Sure, it's smaller and the capacity is limiting, but I'm ok with those specifications. I own a motorcycle and love to ride it whenever the weather allows. I love the concept of the Elio because it will allow me to ride/drive an Elio even more often.

Is the Elio for everyone? No. And it doesn't pretend to be, just like a Tesla S isn't available a price that everyone can afford.

Oh, and for the record, in the opening statement of the article, the author says that the Elio is promising a 5 start crast test rating. It's not, and he corrects himself later with the observation that it won't be crash tested for that safety rating. Maybe you should get your facts straight before you publish.

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score

It's always easier to say "No" than "Yes." It's always easier to criticize something new than to embrace it. Repeating the conventional wisdom is easier than having an original idea.

Chris F.

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, he says its going to be a chick-magnet. Woo-hoo.

Sorry, I've passed my mid-life crisis successfully. What I really want is an economical vehicle to go along with my wife's station wagon. School, soccer practice, grocery shopping? That's what mini-vans were for. In 2-3 years, we'll be empty nesters. I've got a 10 minute commute on good (but busy) local roads. I had a Chevy Sprint (forerunner to the GEO Metro) when my kids were small. 99% of the time I was the only occupant and I used it for my daily commute. Sound familiar?

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, he says its going to be a chick-magnet. Woo-hoo.

Sorry, I've passed my mid-life crisis successfully. What I really want is an economical vehicle to go along with my wife's station wagon. School, soccer practice, grocery shopping? That's what mini-vans were for. In 2-3 years, we'll be empty nesters. I've got a 10 minute commute on good (but busy) local roads. I had a Chevy Sprint (forerunner to the GEO Metro) when my kids were small. 99% of the time I was the only occupant and I used it for my daily commute. Sound familiar?

Funny you mention mid-life crisis.
Both my brother-in-law and me are currently buying cars. I'm buying an Elio for money savings. He bought a 300hp camero convertible.

I think I'm doing this mid-life thing all wrong!

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's just what I want to do - buy a used Crown Victoria or Jeep Cherokee on Ebay - even less a Taurus for that matter. The idea is to buy an Elio for that kind of money and get that kind of junk and gas hogs off the roads and into the junk yards where they belong.
upload_2014-10-17_9-12-13.jpeg
"I resemble that remark!" MAYBE the Elio will allow me to retire my Crown Vic, but it will definitely allow me to retire the Yamaha. By the way, since 2007 new bikes in the U.S. have catalytic converters installed.

Top Bottom