• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/16/2014 - Jalopnik.com - Six Things That Could Kill Elio Motors Before It Even Launches

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Good reply. I Noticed tho, how he "sidestepped" everything by saying he has already replied to everything already...he hasn't. It's obvious he likes the "negative" attention, probably even more than the positive.

Thanks. :) Agreed.

His purpose is to stir up controversy, not to educate the masses about the Elio's improbability to make it to market.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand how the Elio is going to ride on those low profile motorcycle tires... not to mention that Elio is going to use the Geo motor... But, they think they are going to stick to the four tennants of 89MPG, $7,300, 4 star motorcycle crash rating, and 0-60mph in 12.2 seconds.

See? I can be a "journalist" too!

--- that's an attempt at humor and a stab at Jalopnik.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

His purpose is to stir up controversy, not to educate the masses about the Elio's improbability to make it to market.
Yup. then he makes money each time some "clicks" on one of the links in his article. He doesn't care if he's screwing or being screwed, as long as he gets paid...oldest profession in the world. ;) :)

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup. then he makes money each time some "clicks" on one of the links in his article. He doesn't care if he's screwing or being screwed, as long as he gets paid...oldest profession in the world. ;) :)
It does make me wonder if the rebuttles are the first serious research he's done. Most likely they are going with the business model of 'extreme titles' and hyper content just to drive readership up. It's a stupid model, and very short term, near sighted and unsustainable.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tavarish: "I also think the Geo Metro is the best city car money can buy right now. You can buy one for $1500, it'll run forever, and it's practically disposable. It seats 5 and has luggage space. Parts are available everywhere and it gets crazy MPG."

Tavarish (responding to Jeff's post in reference to what his idea of a "first date" scenareo would be in an Elio): "...then drive along in a noisy and bumpy vehicle, exclaiming that it's really good on gas, so you're fine with giving up some luxuries - as you work up a sweat trying to parallel park with no rear window and no power steering. Seems like a great time. I'm sure she'll call."

The used Geo Metros that are (according to Tavarish) "the best city car(s) money can buy right now..." are not quiet rides and are bumpy ones. The standard transmission versions are, however, adequately peppy and fun to drive if you are the only one in the car. I wouldn't even attempt to move a Metro with 5 people in it. I wouldn't consider it to be the least bit safe. I don't know how you'd stuff 5 normal-sized people in a Metro to begin with. If you have 4 people in a metro, you can't see out the back window. They do not have power steering. You can buy a used metro for $1500, but they're way overpriced. They're keeping their value to the point that most of the asking prices are far more than the vehicles are worth. Believe me, at this point in time, you really don't want the average $1500 Geo Metro. The entire line is continuing to fall apart with time and wear. While the engine is capable of easily going 150,000+ miles, the rest of the Metro was a basically a ten year car. There are not many worth even $1500 left. Most of the ones that are for sale now are long overdue for appointments with the local scrap yards. There is that rare gem however, but that's becoming more of a once-in-five-years find. Ask Wheaters.

I honestly think that the production Elio will be quieter and have a smoother ride than the metro.
At 640lb. lighter, how would I work up a sweat parking an Elio when it was never an effort to park the Metro?

This just doesn't make sense.

The fact that Tavarish made these two statements leads me to believe that he doesn't know much about either of these vehicles.
It further leads me to believe that he doesn't know much about much of anything automotive.
If we were looking for a cow flatulance standard to compare the Eio's carbon footprint to, I think we've found it.

Last edited:

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I don't understand how the Elio is going to ride on those low profile motorcycle tires... not to mention that Elio is going to use the Geo motor... But, they think they are going to stick to the four tennants of 89MPG, $7,300, 4 star motorcycle crash rating, and 0-60mph in 12.2 seconds.

See? I can be a "journalist" too!

--- that's an attempt at humor and a stab at Jalopnik.

Still laughing here.... lol

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Funny but that is exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure the responses he is getting are exactly what he is seeking: buzz. And the title of his article, including the operative word "Could", is very different from the tone of the article, which suggests "won't". This is very clever; he has already given himself and 'out' in case it does happen. In all other respects, including all of his comments, the article is highly biased and inaccurate and thus not worth the time it took to read.

What I did find illuminating is the highly polarized nature of the haters. Yikes. I had no idea that there were people actually hoping this won't happen. Even discounting people who are just a-holes and hate everything there seem to be a fair few seemingly otherwise rational folks who are not doubters but haters.

Top Bottom