• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/16/2014 - Jalopnik.com - Six Things That Could Kill Elio Motors Before It Even Launches

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Our sad little author is in good company though (these are all true):

“There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share.”
Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO (April 2007)

“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.”
Ken Olson, president Digital Equipment Corp (1977)

“Within the next two decades autos will be made with folding wings.”
Eddie Rickenbacker, pilot (1924)

"Remote shopping, while entirely feasible, will flop.”
Time Magazine (1966)

“Cellular phones will absolutely not replace local wire systems.”
Marty Cooper, inventor (1981)

That the automobile has practically reached the limit of its development is suggested by the fact that during the past year no improvements of a radical nature have been introduced.
  • Scientific American, January 2, 1909.

• With over fifteen types of foreign cars already on sale here, the Japanese auto industry isn't likely to carve out a big share of the market for itself.Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
    - Marshal Ferdinand Foch, French military strategist, 1911. He was later a World War I commander.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tavarish: "I also think the Geo Metro is the best city car money can buy right now. You can buy one for $1500, it'll run forever, and it's practically disposable. It seats 5 and has luggage space. Parts are available everywhere and it gets crazy MPG."

We gave our daughter a very nice GEO metro when she drove off for college. She loved that car she still brings it up and was smiling when she heard the ELIO had a GEO engine in the prototype

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No mater the car, if someone likes it, there are haters too. Truly art only exists in the eye of the beholder.
( notice how I plagiarize common rhetoric :) )

Yeah, AriLea, I hear ya. Was it just me though, or did the haters on that Jalopnik response board seem to really relish the prospect that the Elio would fail? I mean, there are cars I wouldn't drive for free but I've never wished that no one else could drive them either.....oh, wait a minute...those damn VW microbuses that drive 52 mph in the middle lane of the I5 between L.A. and San Diego at rush hour.....those guys I would wish away if I could.

Roberto Benitez

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I keep hearing the Geo as a better alternative to Elio--parts are plentiful, etc. I had a Geo Metro while in college. Parts were not readily available. Things broke--like any old car, and it was not easy finding replacement parts--even at some junk jards. This was outside Detroit. Perhaps things are different in other markets.

For the life if me, I do not remember what year it was, but I graduated over a decade ago. I would not look forward to driving a Geo that is over a decade older than the one. I had.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tony, it wasn't just you. Seemed to me a lot of the negative responses relished the idea of Elio failure... :-/
In this internet world, people just love to jump into a food fight, and there is comparibly very little risk in any trash talk you can make.
And the tendancy to talk from a devicive angle is very high. Anyway, if 1 out of 10 people like the Elio, that's not a bad number. But I suspect it's more like 50%, until they hear the price and MPG, then it's more like 75%. Go figure :)

And you know people with an agenda, put as much energy into it as they think it needs to push the balance in thier favor. That is the more Elio looks good the more they need to 'dis' it.

So I think this 'hate' is a sign of success. It's a little late to counter the fact that the Elio is now popular!

Last edited:
Top Bottom