• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/16/2014 - Jalopnik.com - Six Things That Could Kill Elio Motors Before It Even Launches

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not worth the bits, nor giving him the free exposure. When you don't understand the concept, and insist on looking at it from the same perspective as has "always been" you get what has always been. I'd live to have the money for a Tesla, I would not spend it on one. Not because I don't like it, I really do , just too much money for a car. My perspective, probably not his.

Roberto Benitez

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I just finished readi...well stopped to be honest.

Confucius said:

1. He who knows, and knows not he knows, is asleep: Awaken him
  2. He who knows not, and knows he knows not, is a child: teach him.
  3. He who knows not, and knows not he knows not, is fool: avoid him.
  4. He who knows, and knows he knows, is a wise man: follow him.
I suspect he falls under item 3. Though it is likely it is just a desperate attempt to stir up shit so he can create traffic to sell ads (i.e. just prostituting himself). Also read a few of his retorts--brimming with journalistic integrity.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We're supposed to believe all this supposition because this person makes a living driving around in the second-hand junk he's bought on ebay and then because of that purports to be an expert on all things automotive?
Pfuweet!
I spit on this!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the quote below was taken from the link given in the first post in this thread .... question, just how much does it matter to you if your Elio does or doesn't meet automotive emissions standards ? .... to me it is a non issue .... its classified as a motorcycle and so long as it meets motorcycle standards (whatever they may be) and I can legally drive it on public roads, I couldn't care less

Jim

"5. It's Not Actually Any Better For The Environment.
On top of the lofty and unfounded claim of perfect safety ratings, there's the lofty and unfounded claim of the environmental impact of its fuel-sipping powerplant. Here's an excerpt from Elio:

This is a very green vehicle – and we're not just talking about the color. Yes, it gets an absurd amount of MPG on the highway, but you'll be doing your share of city driving, too. Fear not, with its projected city rate of 49 MPG, you'll be consuming only 1/3 of what the average American vehicle consumes.

Keep in mind they don't mention emissions at all, because the motorcycle designation legally allows them to forego all that messy and expensive emissions equipment, like evaporative emissions canisters, exhaust gas recirculation, and even the staple of cleaner air technology in cars - the catalytic converter.

What this potentially means is that without these necessary additions, you could have something that pollutes the atmosphere as if its sole purpose was to fingerblast the ozone layer. It has the clean-air restrictions of a chinese-made, gas-powered leaf blower. (Elio, for their part,says the vehicle will meet or exceed stringent California emissions requirements.)

Yes, motorcycles have this same issue, but the majority of motorcycle owners don't use them as daily commuter vehicles and the climate in most of the country prohibit their practical use year-round. If Elio really does have up to date, emissions-compliant equipment on board, that will truly be an amazing feat. However, something tells me that this is a far stretch, because..."

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No way it will not meet emission standards for autos, that is a deal breaker for too many and just not a real hurdle when designing a high efficiency engine from scratch. Guy just likes to whine , and can't be bothered to seek the facts. Actually would fit right in with mainstream media :)

What it does mean, now that I think on it, is that it won't be inspected in areas that require that of "cars" and not "bikes",,,, a Plus

Top Bottom