• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/22/2014 - Tech Talk - Engine Series: Part 2

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors Tech Talk v39
View this email in your browser
83468eef-7e35-4e13-897e-736414932a0d.jpg
The Brains in the Elio Engine: How the Elio Engine Management System Blends Fuel-Efficiency, Torque and Power

Last week we talked about Elio’s reasons for designing their own engine. This week we will discuss the engine management system, the “brains” of the powertrain. As we work toward reaching our target of 84 MPG, the engine management system plays a crucial role. It ensures that various engine components are working together to achieve maximum efficiency.

There are many components in the control system of the Elio Powertrain. The first is the engine control unit (ECU) which also can be incorporated into a powertrain control module (PCM). The ECU is a computer with software that controls the various subsystems on the engine. These subsystems include fuel injection, ignition, variable valve timing (VVT), throttle, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) and evaporative emissions canister (EVAP). To accomplish this task the ECU must receive many signals (information) from various sensors such as accelerator pedal position, throttle position, intake manifold air temperature, intake manifold pressure, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, oil temperature and the coolant temperature sensors.

5af6234f-1a72-47f0-b155-0424d152c89f.jpg

Figure 1: Elio ECU from Continental

The fuel injection system precisely controls the air fuel mixture at an optimized balance of engine fuel efficiency and emissions control efficiency. This control is accomplished by changing the duration of the fuel injector pulsewidth and the pressure in the fuel rail. The ignition system is comprised of coils and sparkplugs. The coils are charged (filled with electrical energy) by the ECU with low voltage (<15V) and current (<7amps for 1 – 2 milliseconds). When a spark event is needed, the coil discharges instantaneously at a very high voltage on the order of 30 kV or more. This electrical energy jumps the gap in the sparkplug and this spark ignites the air-fuel mixture.

b5d4343e-5fac-4aaf-8a6a-820a8eb558d2.jpg

Figure 2: Back side of Elio engine showing sensors in orange

The crankshaft position sensor measures the crankshaft position as the engine rotates. The CAM sensor measures the camshaft position. The crank and cam positions are used to make sure the spark and fuel injectors are firing and injecting at the correct time. Once the ECU has sensor data, it then makes a calculation and outputs the correct spark timing and fuel injector pulsewidth. The calculations that take place are all about operating the engine at the best operating point.

The optimal spark time and injector time will be set during the calibration of the engine while running on a dynamometer. The calibration team will measure the burn rate, the combustion efficiency and maximum brake torque. The oil and coolant temperature sensors are used to modify the spark and injector timing based on engine operating temperatures and environmental temperatures.

ec58377b-630b-4964-a456-76a8450b3c9d.jpg

Figure 3: Front side of Elio engine showing sensor in orange

One of the potential technology features of the Elio engine is the two-step valve lift system (VVA) which uses switching tappets. The two-mode tappets allow switching between two different valve lift profiles which allows the engine to change its airflow capacity. One mode increases airflow capacity for more torque/power in city driving. The other mode decreases airflow to reduce pumping work during light load operation such as highway driving.

The switching tappet consists of two nested housings, the inner and outer housing. The inner housing is actuated by the center cam lobe while the outer housing is actuated by lobes on either side of the center lobe. The outer housing presses against a lost motion spring when the hydraulic actuation circuit is at low pressure. In this mode the center lobe determines the valve lift. Both housing parts can be linked by means of a coupling mechanism, a high pressure hydraulic chamber. In the locked condition, the high lift is transmitted via the outer housing to the valve. As in the standard tappet, valve lash adjustment can be by hydraulic or mechanical means.

The Elio engine uses a cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system. The EGR system will be used to improve fuel consumption of the engine by reducing pumping losses and lowering peak cylinder temperatures which reduces NOx emissions. When the EGR is cooled it further reduces combustion temperatures and reduces engine knocking. This enables the engine to have a high mechanical compression ratio which helps improve fuel economy and performance. The EGR system is controlled by the ECU and will allow a specific amount of EGR into the intake manifold to be distributed into the combustion chamber.

All of these elements together will result in an engine that meets our fuel efficiency requirements, but also provides performance that our customers demand. It’s not an easy balancing act, but the world-class team at IAV is making it happen.

Part three of the engine Tech Talk series will look at the machining of the Elio prototype engine.
23e0b01f-8f1b-46ca-b65c-9b12f2c1b348.jpg
Copyright © 2014 Elio Motors, All rights reserved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Eddie, Goofyone posted some info that requested we provide only a link to the information, and try to refrain from posting the entire article here in the thread.

I appreciate you putting it all here, thank you! But I think the rule they're trying to enforce is for us to put only a link in a thread here. Others can correct me if not right.

That said. Really REALLY good information about the engine. Seeing the front and the back in all its glory. Along with engine-speak that I will need to read a few times before understanding half of it. :-)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Eddie, Goofyone posted some info that requested we provide only a link to the information, and try to refrain from posting the entire article here in the thread.

I appreciate you putting it all here, thank you! But I think the rule they're trying to enforce is for us to put only a link in a thread here. Others can correct me if not right.

That said. Really REALLY good information about the engine. Seeing the front and the back in all its glory. Along with engine-speak that I will need to read a few times before understanding half of it. :)

Thanks for reading those suggestions and a link only is indeed what we generally encourage. I did however make an exception for information originating with Elio Motors as long as there was a link to the original content which Eddie has included in this post.

There is indeed plenty of nice information explaining the functions of the ECU and I especially like the detailed engine renderings which we have not seen before. I am glad to see EM go more in depth with their coverage of the engine and look forward to the rest of this engine series. :)

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
interesting press release that puts in print much of the info that has been reported in various interviews

Jim

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score

That said. Really REALLY good information about the engine. Seeing the front and the back in all its glory. Along with engine-speak that I will need to read a few times before understanding half of it. :)
Thanks for reading those suggestions and a link only is indeed what we generally encourage. I did however make an exception for information originating with Elio Motors as long as there was a link to the original content which Eddie has included in this post.

There is indeed plenty of nice information explaining the functions of the ECU and I especially like the detailed engine renderings which we have not seen before. I am glad to see EM go more in depth with their coverage of the engine and look forward to the rest of this engine series. :)
Thanks guys. I must have missed the memo, but will follow the rules now that I know them.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So the engine will use almost all the same technology as the Geo Metro / Suzuki G10, but with the addition of a VVC system.

The "cooled EGR" is interesting. The G10 has a cross feed from the exhaust manifold, connected to the inlet manifold passages on the opposite side of the engine via a simple duct cast into the rear of the block. The EGR passage in the inlet manifold is connected to small diameter brass tubes inserted in the inlet ducts, adjacent to the valves. Looks like they might be doing the same thing here, although it's not obvious from the pictures above.

Suzuki obviously did a really good job on the design their little three pot, 1.0 litre engine; the more I drive mine the more I like it.

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Good call on the exception. There is so little important news that some redundancy on the good stuff is ok with me.

Top Bottom