• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/22/2014 - Tech Talk - Engine Series: Part 2

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
A "Made In USA" sticker would mean little on an all-electronic device like an engine ECU. In fact, it would be deceptive.

I design PC board based products for a living. Every one of those products is assembled, programmed, and tested in Shelton, Connecticut. However, almost every electronic component within those products is from outside the USA. Why? They simply aren't made here anymore.

Anyone with a surface mount pick-and-place machine can assemble that ECU and India is not particularly well known for that. What they DO have is a crapload of people willing to write embedded software and they do it cheaply. I would not be a bit surprised if the production units are built outside of India.

A LOT of software is written in India, for sure.

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it wasn't for some negative in the world what a boring place it would be.
Yes dear, I agree, I'm with you, Hip Hip Hurray, Count me in, all vote YES, move over let me kiss a&& too, if you jump I'll jump............................and so on.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it wasn't for some negative in the world what a boring place it would be.
Yes dear, I agree, I'm with you, Hip Hip Hurray, Count me in, all vote YES, move over let me kiss a&& too, if you jump I'll jump............................and so on.

You certainly do spice things up around here Wayne. I'll give you that!

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
CompTrex, Hey, I just like to tell it like it is. Be yourself and try not to follow the crowd, THEY COULD BE WRONG. KA was never taught to me in my school.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
CompTrex, Hey, I just like to tell it like it is. Be yourself and try not to follow the crowd, THEY COULD BE WRONG. KA was never taught to me in my school.

Well, actually, since none of us really know 'like it is', we're all just speculating; some with a bend towards the positive and others with a bend towards the negative. Tough to be a realist when reality, in this case, is an unknown.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OMG, Internal combustion engine 101, I've just learned more in 10 minutes than I have in the last 42 years!:) Then again the only thing I ever required in a car, was that it had 4 wheels, an engine and moved when I wanted to go!;) Now even that is going to change!:confused: I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!:eek::rolleyes::D

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, actually, since none of us really know 'like it is', we're all just speculating; some with a bend towards the positive and others with a bend towards the negative. Tough to be a realist when reality, in this case, is an unknown.

Maybe I should have said "Tell it like I think it is".
Anyway Everyone is negative at times. Sometimes they are right, sometimes wrong. But since this is an Elio Forum and Elio hasn't given us ALL the facts then who is to say who is right and who is wrong on SOME ISSUES.
If some people didn't ask questions or have doubt there would be little to talk about on here, right?
Anyway being negative has put some topics to the top of the list for debate and got answers.
I'm just like most, I hate for someone to be negative about what I say but I have found out that at times they proved me wrong.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

agree .... hey guys, the bottom line is, we are members of an Elio Owners forum .... as of now and for who knows how many months to come, none of us own an Elio .... as noted, some members think Paul Elio walks on water and can do no wrong .... that EM is perfect and their decisions shouldn't be questioned .... blind allegiance is the only way to go .... I don't know of any who go that far on the other extreme but there probably are some .... I have little patience for either extreme and am grateful that most folks are somewhere in between .... most things about the vehicle and the company I really like .... some things I don't .... the last time I heard, nothing made by man is perfect so I can't see why that should come as a surprise

Jim

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norahsbed, there's some mind bending stuff out there. I work with large diesels that have a gear driven turbocharger... I know, sounds like an oxymoron, but it really is. The compressor is driven by the engine's gear train up to about 75% of full load, and at that point, there's enough energy in the exhaust gases that the turbine wheel takes over and an overrunning clutch lets the turbine disconnect the compressor from the gear train. Kind of a turbo version of VVT. :)

Top Bottom