• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2/27/2015 Em Blog - Can Elio Achieve $6,800 Msrp

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I've said before, anything under $8000 and over 70mpg on a new Elio is still a steal to me. The closer EM can get the better but you won't hear me whining, if they don't hit it on the nose!;)
Agree, ( I don't think I will walk away OTD for less than 12k (without that electronic package)- If EM gets i mpg less, one second longer, or one dollar more............

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My take is, EM is as board as we are. Next week's blog will start with, Have you heard the one about,,, ;)
And they have several thousand stories, about people seeing the Elio for the first time. Starting with, "WTF is that!" "How can you build a car for $6800.00?", "You want me to give you money, for a car that hasn't been built yet!", "Tell me how this isn't a scam?" And so on.................;)

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was never one of those that found the $6800 target unrealistic . Aside from all the reasons that Elio has stated in their blog , there is also another HUGE expense that Elio may dodge . It is estimated that The UAW costs car manufacturers an extra $70 per hour per person to produce vehicles . Workers building cars back in the 1970s are still gleaning checks from the big three . It's no wonder a new Chevy Malibu cost $24,000 . And when you drive it off the lot , it is valued at approx. $17,000 . The difference is certainly 3rd party profit and legacy expenses.
Elio frame , body panels, ancillary components , engine + profit = $6800 .....Sounds right

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was never one of those that found the $6800 target unrealistic . Aside from all the reasons that Elio has stated in their blog , there is also another HUGE expense that Elio may dodge . It is estimated that The UAW costs car manufacturers an extra $70 per hour per person to produce vehicles . Workers building cars back in the 1970s are still gleaning checks from the big three . It's no wonder a new Chevy Malibu cost $24,000 . And when you drive it off the lot , it is valued at approx. $17,000 . The difference is certainly 3rd party profit and legacy expenses.
Elio frame , body panels, ancillary components , engine + profit = $6800 .....Sounds right
So is anyone trying to part out the Elio to see if we can get an approximate cost for materials?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So is anyone trying to part out the Elio to see if we can get an approximate cost for materials?

It's kind of tough to figure. Frame looks like mostly 2"X1/8" square tubing along with some 2"X4"X1/8" rectangular tubing and some 3/16" or 1/4" flat plate. No real idea how to attach the body panels. Engines, front end.......... Too much to really figure it out without details I don't have.

Top Bottom