• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2/5/2015 - Elio Motors Inc. Names Dave Schembri To Board Of Directors

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio Motors Inc. Names Dave Schembri to Board of Directors
Nationally recognized automotive leader provides insight, vision to help launch $6,800, 84 MPG vehicle.

gI_85679_Elio.png

A side view of the Elio vehicle

release-topquote.gif
Our vehicle and our company are reinventing the way Americans think about personal transportation and Dave will be an important asset as we bring our vision to production.
release-bottomquote.gif

Troy, MI (PRWEB) February 05, 2015

Elio Motors, Inc., today named automotive and logistics industry veteran Dave Schembri to its Board of Directors, providing additional expertise in manufacturing, marketing and operations that will help the company launch its revolutionary $6,800 vehicle that will get up to 84 MPG.

A 40-year industry veteran, Schembri is currently the CEO of the Active Aero Group, a global transportation logistics solutions provider headquartered in Belleville, Mich. The majority of his career was realized in various executive positions at Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen. At Mercedes Benz, Dave served as both the Vice President of Sales and the Vice President of Marketing. During his tenure, Schembri was responsible for several successful product launches while the company recorded 11 consecutive record years in new vehicle sales.

Most notably, Schembri previously was the President of smart USA, a Penske Automotive Group company. He was responsible for the successful launch of smart USA (a division of Mercedes-Benz), which included establishing and maintaining a retail network, customer relations, advertising, marketing, PR, and all sales, service, and parts functions.

Schembri was born and raised in Detroit and earned both his B.S. and MBA degrees from the University of Detroit.

“Dave Schembri has invaluable experience launching and managing major automotive brands in North America,” said Elio Motors founder and CEO Paul Elio. “His leadership and vision exhibited throughout his career will have many parallels to our experience with the Elio. Our vehicle and our company are reinventing the way Americans think about personal transportation and Dave will be an important asset as we bring our vision to production.”

Schembri also has held management and leadership positions for Mitsubishi North America, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen of America and American Motors Corp.

Other Elio Motors Board of Directors members include James Holden, former DaimlerChrysler CEO; Ken Way, former Lear Corporation CEO; Hari Iyer, CEO of Pamban Energy Systems; and, Stuart Lichter, founder and Chairman of the Board of IRG, LLC.

Elio Motors’ vehicle is slated to launch in the first half of 2016 and is already connecting with consumers. Nearly 40,000 people have made reservations for a spot in line to purchase a vehicle when it goes to production.

Elio Motors will create more than 1,500 jobs at its manufacturing facility in Shreveport, La., help reduce the country’s dependence on foreign oil and provide a more environmentally friendly transportation solution for American drivers.

“It is energizing to me and to our team to have so many industry icons as Directors who understand our vision, recognize the importance of transforming the American transportation industry and passionately support our development and success,” said Paul Elio, CEO of Elio Motors. “We look forward to the strategic input of all our board members as we fulfill our mission of low-cost, high-mileage vehicles for American drivers.”

About Elio Motors
Founded by car enthusiast Paul Elio in 2008, Elio Motors Inc. represents a revolutionary approach to manufacturing an ultra-high-mileage vehicle. The three-wheeled Elio is engineered to attain a highway mileage rating of up to 84 mpg while providing the comfort of amenities such as power windows, power door lock and air conditioning, accompanied by the safety of multiple air bags and an aerodynamic, enclosed vehicle body. Elio’s first manufacturing site will be in Shreveport, La. For more information, visit http://www.eliomotors.com orhttp://www.facebook.com/ElioMotors.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/02/prweb12497958.htm

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
To me this is the key paragraph that makes the addition of this guy to the EM board a big deal:

Most notably, Schembri previously was the President of smart USA, a Penske Automotive Group company. He was responsible for the successful launch of smart USA (a division of Mercedes-Benz), which included establishing and maintaining a retail network, customer relations, advertising, marketing, PR, and all sales, service, and parts functions.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To me this is the key paragraph that makes the addition of this guy to the EM board a big deal:
To me, it's this simple phrase "...a global transportation logistics solutions provider". Without a good logistics solution, Elio can't happen. I was wondering if they were going to get some logistics expertise soon.

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Who else is on the design team that actually works for Elio motors that has any experience building cars? I can't find any info about anyone but Paul and even that is limited.

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Wikipedia is collaborative, and in a constant state of revision. I wouldn't depend on it for "up to the minute" accuracy...IMHO.;)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice and bring this up. I am really not sure what exactly Mr Schembri's role has been but he has definitely been around for a bit. When I reached out to an EM contact today and mentioned this the answer I received was clear as mud so that was not any help either.

The way I look at this is that even if Mr Schembri has been around EM in some capacity for a while he must have been consulted and agreed to this news release. In my opinion it is still a very good sign that someone with his industry reputation, knowing all that he knows about the behind the scenes workings at EM, still agreed to being featured in this press release at this time.

I would be concerned if we were seeing board members trying to slip quietly out the back door but instead with this press release we are seeing someone who already has an established reputation in the auto industry willingly and publicly associating themselves with this vehicle start-up.

The rats are not fleeing this ship but instead still climbing aboard. :cool:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The rats are not fleeing this ship but instead still climbing aboard. :cool:

as you note, the rat in question has intimate knowledge of the inner workings and condition of the company .... for such a person to put his name out for all the industry to see, I can't believe he doesn't anticipate the company being successful

Top Bottom