• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2017 Production A Long Shot...

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You buy what works for you is the best answer. Your idea of "long range" falls under the gas car category and is not a fair comparison to electric cars available right now. If I can "afford" a 200 plus all electric car then that will be my choice because I drive less than 200 miles in a day, get it? Most of us are into Elio because of it's affordability and it's touted 84 mpg/600+ range (no actual results posted as of this time). I'll tell you this much, if I'm one of the super rich, I'll be driving a Porsche 918 w/ 887 horses on tap and won't feel guilty because at least...it's a hybrid! :D
I appreciate your logic on long range. If I was super rich (my 'long range' goal) I may put a fully refundable reservation deposit on Porsche's Billion dollar investment developing...............the Mission E.
image.jpeg

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am reflecting on an old movie from 1988 starring Jeff Bridges. Automotive related and extremely similar to our current Elio situation. The movie was "Tucker". An excellent idea and advancement for the era. I'm afraid we are in a position where history may repeat itself. My outlook for Elio Motors carries no positive feelings what-so-ever at this point. I would quite prefer - rather than being held on a string and handed a bone every few months - Elio: Just give us an honest reply regarding production ...... The population is heavily wavering and honestly the more bones you throw, the less interest you are building for you product. The media is having a hey day (when the "current events editor" needs fill-in space). Don't be a "Tucker". We all want this to succeed - so be honest.
But what if you HONESTLY don't know?

Warning - This response includes a sense of humor and posts should not be taken as insulting or disparaging in any way.

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the EV world, "long range" is basically shorthand for "200+ miles". And any Tesla can do 800-1000 miles in a day as long as you are following a route which has DC fast charging stations along the way.
But that's like saying "Any Ford can do 800-1000 miles as long as you have gas stations along the way", which is to say that it is an infrastructure issue, not an EV issue. And there IS a rapidly growing network of fast-charging stations.

The exciting thing about new 200-mile range cars coming on the market, is that Teslas will no longer be the ONLY car that can do cross-country trips. That said, Tesla still has the best "cross country" distribution of charging stations. The other two types of DC fast charging are mostly centered around major population zones, while Tesla has gone out of their way to create a nationwide Interstate network.

The following is only representative of density--not actual numbers. For instance, the chart shows nothing in southern California for Tesla stations, when that is blatantly untrue when you zoom in (these are screen-caps from Plugshare, a handy EV charging station location website/app).

2wpttvm.jpg

Again, for now, if you are somebody who commutes 1000-miles in a single day, on a weekly basis, then an EV is not for you. (A better investment would be your own airplane! Or an Elio :D). But if you travel that sort of distance less than once a month, then the savings you see in daily driving in an EV would more than pay for a rental car or U-Haul for those long-distance trips.

On a side note, Kia has promised to develop a 350 mile range EV by 2020 (or was it 2025? I can't find my source right now.) So right around the time Chevy Bolts will be coming off their leases. The rich folk can upgrade to a longer range Kia, and I can pick up a Bolt on the cheap :D
Seth, I appreciate your interest in EVs and the info you provide.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Regarding long range, I won't drive more than 600 miles a day, and these days prefer 500 for a practical upper limit. But I certainly prefer not having to fill up the tank every week in my normal bopping around Cincinnati mode. My aging Forester gets about 23 mpg city, (it claims it's getting 24, but the actual math doesn't support that). It gets 26 or so down the road (supposed to get 28 but never has). So the Elio will more than double that. If it's comfy to drive, it will mean fewer stops on trips, lower costs all around. My kind of car!

That said, if an EV routinely got 300 miles per recharge and were under $20,000 decently equipped, I'd buy one. Frankly, if Elio is to survive past its first decade, it will have to meet specs like these:

2 passengers
Range 300 miles or more
0-60 8 seconds
top speed 90 mph
Emissions 0
5 star or equivalent safety
$20,000 or less

That's a world beater.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"...
2 passengers
Range 300 miles or more
0-60 8 seconds
top speed 90 mph
Emissions 0
5 star or equivalent safety
$20,000 or less..."

Well, the Meccanica meets almost all of those, and production models are to be sold this month last I remember. Just no two seat capacity in that one, and rear wheel drive, which means don't take it out in the snow.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the EV world, "long range" is basically shorthand for "200+ miles". And any Tesla can do 800-1000 miles in a day as long as you are following a route which has DC fast charging stations along the way.
But that's like saying "Any Ford can do 800-1000 miles as long as you have gas stations along the way", which is to say that it is an infrastructure issue, not an EV issue. And there IS a rapidly growing network of fast-charging stations.

The exciting thing about new 200-mile range cars coming on the market, is that Teslas will no longer be the ONLY car that can do cross-country trips. That said, Tesla still has the best "cross country" distribution of charging stations. The other two types of DC fast charging are mostly centered around major population zones, while Tesla has gone out of their way to create a nationwide Interstate network.

The following is only representative of density--not actual numbers. For instance, the chart shows nothing in southern California for Tesla stations, when that is blatantly untrue when you zoom in (these are screen-caps from Plugshare, a handy EV charging station location website/app).

2wpttvm.jpg

Again, for now, if you are somebody who commutes 1000-miles in a single day, on a weekly basis, then an EV is not for you. (A better investment would be your own airplane! Or an Elio :D). But if you travel that sort of distance less than once a month, then the savings you see in daily driving in an EV would more than pay for a rental car or U-Haul for those long-distance trips.

On a side note, Kia has promised to develop a 350 mile range EV by 2020 (or was it 2025? I can't find my source right now.) So right around the time Chevy Bolts will be coming off their leases. The rich folk can upgrade to a longer range Kia, and I can pick up a Bolt on the cheap :D

Thanks!
So the answer is 200 miles.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I thought it was HILARIOUS when Tesla announced the Model 3. More affordable to everyone??? starting at only $35,000! :eek::confused: Just who is this everyone that they are considering?

Agree with you big time. I've said it before on here: the car-buying public has been conditioned to believe that a cost of something like $35k is "affordable". A given car commercial for any make/model seldom states the price, and when they do, it's for the base vehicle, and in small print they state that the one shown on the commercial is, oh, $6k - 12k more with the shown options. Loan terms are above 5 years now, often 7 yrs.

And then a few yrs ago, there was a wave of loans being made to buyers that have bad credit, and the buyers get offered a loan that they can't afford, then they default on their loan in less than a year because they can't make the payments. Could still be happening now, who knows.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
The fallout of the Model 3 announcement is having its impact. Because of this so-called "affordable" 200+ mile electric on the horizon:
Chevy has sprinted to get their Bolt out the door first.
Ford has decided to pursue a long range EV
Nissan has held off announcing their 2017 Leaf, presumably to see if they can hit that magic 200 mile range.

Among other things. The result, is that in 3 or 4 years there will be a glut of long range EVs hitting the market as they come off of lease, and these 3-year-old cars really WILL be affordable to the masses. :D

I respect your opinion Seth, I get what you're saying :cool:, but I'll make a bet with you for an adult beverage: in 2020, if there is a glut of long-range 3+ yr-old EVs hitting the market, they won't be affordable. Not to the point where people are buying them because the price is low. I just don't see the basic supply/demand principle taking affect in that situation.

Top Bottom