• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2017 Production A Long Shot...

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
MY NEW CAR IS A 2006 SPRINTER .
IT IS BIG ENOUGH TO HAUL MY MICROCARS & SMALL ENOUGH TO FIT IN A REGULAR PARKING SPACE

IT HAS 318,000 MILES ON IT AND IS THE ONLY VEHICLE I HAVE OWNED THAT WAS MADE IN THIS CENTURY .
IT IS A DIESEL , WEIGHS 6000 POUNDS & GETS 22-24 mpg . PRETTY MUCH THE GOLD STANDARD FOR IT's DAY .

GOTTA DO SOMETHING WHILE I WAIT FOR MY ELIO .

View attachment 21081

How many miles you figure you have left in the Sprinter? The way you preserve old vehicles, I expect it will be as many as you want. I look forward to seeing an Elio in the back of it. Can you close the back doors with the Messerschmitt in there? The Elio is 3 ft longer than the Messerschmitt isn't it?

BIGTAZ

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Coss: My Point is that SOME people buy new cars because it financially makes sense… a “Used” car is not “Always” a better deal. And some People need to pay penance for being such a “FOOL” to say: “I think anybody who buys a "new" car is a fool, regardless of the sticker price.!” Then say.. Okay, maybe that is a bit harsh. But certainly the people who buy new cars either can't do math, or have enough money not to worry about the math. I think the Elio is probably the one exception to that rule; not because it is cheap, but because I believe they will not depreciate as dramatically as other new cars. Even the truely affordable Nissan Versa (base model) at just over $12,000, (That is MSRP sticker “SUCKER” price! They go for about $10K) is much more affordable if you get one just a few years old (around $7-8000 for a 2013 model with over 35k miles, or about the price of a new Elio). So Seth cannot do math, or cannot negotiate at a Stealership.

Johnsnownw: Well the whole idea of the Elio is not any different than the HMV Freeway of the 80’s it is a commuter vehicle, if you read my post I did put about 30k miles a year on my car, so about 600 miles a week, Your “60 Miles” Theory doesn’t hold water for me because that was basically “one way” to work for me…Before you say it, I know I could move to the Twin Cities…Not EVER going to happen, My in-laws have a medium size 1970’s house on a VERY small lot, in Coon Rapids and I have stayed there for a couple of weeks, I could not STAND living where every little thing is judged by your neighbors and the City…(Grass ¼” too tall, 3 cars in the driveway, whatever isn’t up to snob’s specs.) Plus the property taxes even a small home like mine are astronomical. (I have a home 1/3 the size of theirs, but a lot 3x the size of theirs)

Paul DeCrans: I deal with the general public daily, trust me they are not that energetic. Why would they be developing “Park Over” wireless chargers? People are so incapable these days we have Federally mandated TPMS on cars because: wait for it: They are too LAZY to check their tires!

aahz: Greetings Back from MN and it is very informative, I have been a 3-wheel nut all my life, my Go-Kart was a 3-wheel 2F-1R (built in 1958 for my Dad/then mine).

David Brower: I hear the 5cyl Sprinters are better on fuel than the V6 models… I love your MicroCars, When I was a kid the neighbor across the street and down a couple houses, had a Messerschmitt, he also had a Freeway, and an Isetta. He taught me some things about them, like the reversing engine... My 3-wheel Go-Kart I was talking about above, the rear wheel was a 10” one off of a German microcar, even still had the original but flat Tire, “I think it said Metzeler on it" as a kid I had never heard of that brand, but I used a cheap 10” scooter tire for my purposes, worked great!

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Coss: My Point is that SOME people buy new cars because it financially makes sense… a “Used” car is not “Always” a better deal. And some People need to pay penance for being such a “FOOL” to say: “I think anybody who buys a "new" car is a fool, regardless of the sticker price.!” Then say.. Okay, maybe that is a bit harsh. But certainly the people who buy new cars either can't do math, or have enough money not to worry about the math. I think the Elio is probably the one exception to that rule; not because it is cheap, but because I believe they will not depreciate as dramatically as other new cars. Even the truely affordable Nissan Versa (base model) at just over $12,000, (That is MSRP sticker “SUCKER” price! They go for about $10K) is much more affordable if you get one just a few years old (around $7-8000 for a 2013 model with over 35k miles, or about the price of a new Elio). So Seth cannot do math, or cannot negotiate at a Stealership.

Johnsnownw: Well the whole idea of the Elio is not any different than the HMV Freeway of the 80’s it is a commuter vehicle, if you read my post I did put about 30k miles a year on my car, so about 600 miles a week, Your “60 Miles” Theory doesn’t hold water for me because that was basically “one way” to work for me…Before you say it, I know I could move to the Twin Cities…Not EVER going to happen, My in-laws have a medium size 1970’s house on a VERY small lot, in Coon Rapids and I have stayed there for a couple of weeks, I could not STAND living where every little thing is judged by your neighbors and the City…(Grass ¼” too tall, 3 cars in the driveway, whatever isn’t up to snob’s specs.) Plus the property taxes even a small home like mine are astronomical. (I have a home 1/3 the size of theirs, but a lot 3x the size of theirs)

Paul DeCrans: I deal with the general public daily, trust me they are not that energetic. Why would they be developing “Park Over” wireless chargers? People are so incapable these days we have Federally mandated TPMS on cars because: wait for it: They are too LAZY to check their tires!

aahz: Greetings Back from MN and it is very informative, I have been a 3-wheel nut all my life, my Go-Kart was a 3-wheel 2F-1R (built in 1958 for my Dad/then mine).

David Brower: I hear the 5cyl Sprinters are better on fuel than the V6 models… I love your MicroCars, When I was a kid the neighbor across the street and down a couple houses, had a Messerschmitt, he also had a Freeway, and an Isetta. He taught me some things about them, like the reversing engine... My 3-wheel Go-Kart I was talking about above, the rear wheel was a 10” one off of a German microcar, even still had the original but flat Tire, “I think it said Metzeler on it" as a kid I had never heard of that brand, but I used a cheap 10” scooter tire for my purposes, worked great!

Your driving is atypical for American motorists, but your opinion doesn't seem to take this into account.

Also, people cannot purchase used cars if no one purchases new. Obviously, used cars are a better deal if you're solely concerned with monetary value. There is no reason to denigrate those that choose to spend their money as they see fit.

Last edited:

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How many miles you figure you have left in the Sprinter? The way you preserve old vehicles, I expect it will be as many as you want. I look forward to seeing an Elio in the back of it. Can you close the back doors with the Messerschmitt in there? The Elio is 3 ft longer than the Messerschmitt isn't it?

THERE ARE QUITE A FEW OF THE OLD T1N SPRINTERS WITH A MILLION+ MILES ON THEM .

I WON'T BE ABLE TO FIN AN ELIO IN THERE , WISH I COULD .
I CAN FIT AN ISETTA IN THE VAN WITH THE FRONT BENCH IN PLACE !

DSC_1679.JPG

THE MESSERSCHMITT AS YOU HAVE NOTED IS LONGER AND REQUIRES REMOVAL OF ALL THREE BENCHES .

DSC_1747.JPG

Paul DeCrans

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Completely off topic but reading you mention Coon Rapids, MN brought back some memories for me. I got my first ever speeding ticket in Coon Rapids as a 16yr old driving my 89 Chevy celebrity

BIGTAZ

Elio Fan
Reaction score
You are Correct in the fact that I stooped to Seth's level by using the word "FOOL" to denigrate "him".

As for my miles being atypical, there are millions of commuters on the roads daily exceeding 100 miles round trip, tons of people don't mind working in the large cities, but most like the 'burbs or further to rest in a peaceful neighborhood. There are some that commute 200 miles round trip.. Too Far for me, but some still do it. (The average one way Commute is 26 minutes...that's 34-38 miles a day, if you are not in gridlock) so yes 66% are probably under that and 33% over.

I no longer drive that 100 miles Daily, its slightly less than 30 now, however this was my first Front Wheel drive car, and first car that got over 20mpg and seeing how much money I save (over my V8 F150 4x4) even at 1/3 the miles per week, I will probably buy another NEW one when this one hits 200,000, and last me 20 years! IF MN RUST DOESN'T KILL IT!

As for: Obviously, used cars are a better deal if you're solely concerned with monetary value. Obviously you are WRONG because as I explained in my FIRST post it saved me 5% interest, plus free maintenance for 25,000 miles and the albeit rare, repairs while under warranty, plus the fact the car has 0 miles. Saving $2000 sale price, for a car with 35000-50000 MORE miles and Little to No Warranty makes no Dollars or cents! Now if you find an older model that has lower miles THEN MAYBE you will be cheaper per mile. But cheap low mileage older model small cars a hard to come by, at least in 2011 they were…Ca$h for Clunkers in 2009 really screwed the Used market!

BIGTAZ

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Paul, An 89 Chevy Celebrity could speed? :) Didn’t most of those have 2.5 4cyls or 2.8 V6s? Just Kidding… My first Vehicle was a Ford Van…and...Yep with a bed in the back!

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are Correct in the fact that I stooped to Seth's level by using the word "FOOL" to denigrate "him".

As for my miles being atypical, there are millions of commuters on the roads daily exceeding 100 miles round trip, tons of people don't mind working in the large cities, but most like the 'burbs or further to rest in a peaceful neighborhood. There are some that commute 200 miles round trip.. Too Far for me, but some still do it. (The average one way Commute is 26 minutes...that's 34-38 miles a day, if you are not in gridlock) so yes 66% are probably under that and 33% over.

I no longer drive that 100 miles Daily, its slightly less than 30 now, however this was my first Front Wheel drive car, and first car that got over 20mpg and seeing how much money I save (over my V8 F150 4x4) even at 1/3 the miles per week, I will probably buy another NEW one when this one hits 200,000, and last me 20 years! IF MN RUST DOESN'T KILL IT!

As for: Obviously, used cars are a better deal if you're solely concerned with monetary value. Obviously you are WRONG because as I explained in my FIRST post it saved me 5% interest, plus free maintenance for 25,000 miles and the albeit rare, repairs while under warranty, plus the fact the car has 0 miles. Saving $2000 sale price, for a car with 35000-50000 MORE miles and Little to No Warranty makes no Dollars or cents! Now if you find an older model that has lower miles THEN MAYBE you will be cheaper per mile. But cheap low mileage older model small cars a hard to come by, at least in 2011 they were…Ca$h for Clunkers in 2009 really screwed the Used market!

as29.postimg.org_5sbdep10n_commute.jpg

http://www.statisticbrain.com/commute-statistics/

As you can see, less than 8% of the population has a commute more than 70 miles round-trip.

CPO vehicles are much cheaper than purchasing new, and you get a warranty along with it. You can easily find 2 and 3 year old previously leased vehicles for $7k under sticker, with no more than 20k miles. Here's a list of CPO Yaris that are less than 100 miles from the TC:

http://www.toyotacertified.com/inve...0&SearchZipCode=55404&SearchModel=Yaris#page2

You'll notice the very first one only has 8,100 miles, and is already listed at $5k off sticker...before any negotiation. No one pays the initial price for a used vehicle, except perhaps those with poor negotiating skills.

Whether you're looking at new or used vehicles, there are always good deals to be had.

BIGTAZ

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Well I can't argue with your chart on mileage IF that is correct...on the other thing that very first one, that is a Luther Dealership and as you MAY or MAY NOT know, they don't deal, they point at the price and you pay it OR WALK! They had a Used 2009 in 2011 and I WALKED... I don't know how long the "CPO" warranty is good for, Because I haven't been shopping and I don't know how much the Used prices have changed since 2011 but I can tell you that top one is $12,485 with 8,000 miles and are offering 2.9%...And USED ("CPO" or otherwise) cars at dealers are almost ALWAYS more than private party. I just got a mailing from My Toyota dealer that they would give me just under $3000 off and 0% financing if I Order a 2017 or Pre-order a 2018. I considered it because that would be about $14,000..Why would I save ONLY $1500 for a 2 year old car with 8,000 miles. Sorry it still doesn't add up to me!

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_1845.PNG
as29.postimg.org_5sbdep10n_commute.jpg

http://www.statisticbrain.com/commute-statistics/

As you can see, less than 8% of the population has a commute more than 70 miles round-trip.

CPO vehicles are much cheaper than purchasing new, and you get a warranty along with it. You can easily find 2 and 3 year old previously leased vehicles for $7k under sticker, with no more than 20k miles. Here's a list of CPO Yaris that are less than 100 miles from the TC:

http://www.toyotacertified.com/inve...0&SearchZipCode=55404&SearchModel=Yaris#page2

You'll notice the very first one only has 8,100 miles, and is already listed at $5k off sticker...before any negotiation. No one pays the initial price for a used vehicle, except perhaps those with poor negotiating skills.

Whether you're looking at new or used vehicles, there are always good deals to be had.
You need to put I one more statistic to your chart above, and that is all the old farts that just want a neat looking toy to ride around and have fun in!

Top Bottom