• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2017 Solar Eclipse

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We had clouds. Lorraine and I were using welding helmets out on the deck, and the clouds moved in at about 1:12 CDT. We did get a slight break at 1:17, enough to see a fingernail clipping sun at 88% occluded. It was beyond cool, and with the added cloud cover it really got dark at midday!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That interesting, all across the country where they had clouds, the clouds would part just before total just so you could see it, I've heard that from some people I know in Tenn, and out on the east coast.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
We had clouds. Lorraine and I were using welding helmets out on the deck, and the clouds moved in at about 1:12 CDT. We did get a slight break at 1:17, enough to see a fingernail clipping sun at 88% occluded. It was beyond cool, and with the added cloud cover it really got dark at midday!
Did it have any effect on how you feel? Or screw with your balance? Or ?

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's been, and it's starting back to full sun.
It's very strange how it makes you feel, being that the moon has an effect on gravity, it's just this tug in your chest.
And it throws your balance off, try walking went it's at it's height in your area, you'll see what I mean.

Parties going on all over the place, you can hear them.

And as for the parties, they got noisy for a bit, and gone.
Eclipse done, parties done also, it's back to being quiet suburbia.

That has to be the beer, or you'd feel it during every new moon.

Last edited:

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's 6:30AM and a bit early for coherent thought but now I'm wondering how much a new moon affects our apparent weight.

Gravitational attraction is directly proportional to mass and inversely proportional to the square of the distance to the center of the mass.

Standing next to the keg at sea level (ignoring the mass of the keg for now) you are 60X closer to the mass center of the Earth than you are to the moon. The moon weighs 1/6 as much as the Earth. So, a new moon directly overhead reduces your weight by 1/(6 x 60 x 60) or 1/21,600 times your normal weight.
For someone normally at 200 pounds you would feel like you weigh 0.009 pounds less.

The empty solo cup in your hand cancelled out the difference.

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay, the pics leading up to the eclipse were less than impressive, but the totality pic was pretty cool...for an old POS digital camera.

1332.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was outstanding! We got 100% totality here and I took pictures that didn't turn out the best. Probably the best part was the drive home. My 15 year old said "This drive is horrible but it was still well worth it!" Yeah, the 71 miles I drove took 2 1/2 hours to get there and 3 1/2 to get back. But, it was worth it. We saw the little slivers of light through the trees and the diamond ring, the pearls, the corona, the darkness... Nature really stepped up and helped out. It rained before the eclipse and after and it was cloudy all day except for right around the eclipse. It was amazing that the clouds stayed away. I was seriously thinking the trip would be just about meeting and hanging out with my work friends and probably not being able to see it. But, we were pleasantly surprised. I took my youngest two out of school for the day. I don't regret that at all. They'll both be able to overcome one missed day of school.

I wish I had some really cool pictures to share but it was more important to me to be "In" the moment vs. recording the moment. Besides, there are people with better cameras and better set ups and better skills than I possess who took pictures I can see.

Top Bottom