• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2018 Nascar Season Thread

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The INFINITY race yesterday was run in a survival mode. Lots of cars didn't make it.
Interesting finish. The dummy should have been able to keep it above the foul line.
Another very close finish after the disqualification. (By inches)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
And tonight's race might not happen tonight, there is a HUGE rain storm close to there, and radar shows it as hitting very soon.
So it's either going to be late tonight or tomorrow.
Let's hope it's tonight, NHRA (Drag Racing) is on early tomorrow, and I had planned on watching that.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I missed that, but I did get to see NHRA and it was OK, but I was disappointed that the Force team got knocked out before the finals.
But Steve Torrence did win Top Fuel, and at the rate he is going, he looks like a year end winner, same for Cortney Force in Funny Car.

Meanwhile back to NASCAR, what a crash party, the 17 got to be down right dangerous, he won stage one and stage two, but I think the "powers that be" told his crew to hold him up for the last session, this is the ex-half of the Danica/Stenhouse pairing, he was down right dangerous on the track, and that was from the front!! I think the 17 will have a target on the car for the rest of the season, geez he was dangerous on the track.

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sort of off topic but I'm not sure how to feel about a Supra being in Nascar. On one hand it could be good press. On the other hand it won't be anything like a Supra as nothing is "stock" anymore or even close. I'd have more respect for Nascar if they dropped the model names and just admitted it's all specialty made. Maybe then I'd watch it again. Probably not, but maybe.

edit- just to be clear I have no dog in this fight about domestic versus import. I grew up a GM (Pontiac) fan but now own a Toyota due a few deal breakers on the Camaro.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Make a rule... find a way to break a rule... this is awesome - and I'm sure it's accurate. No way it's by "chance" that so many teams have a dark color over that particular spot...

I'm absolutely AMAZED at the level of smarts that go into these cars. Somewhere... somebody... maybe over a beer... looked at someone and said... "You know, I think we can beat that laser thing." --- and the race was on.

Unfortunate part for NASCAR was that the "cheating" used to be stuff that a common man could understand -- thus identify with. Now... it's an advanced degree holder who finds a loophole in a computer algorithm to exploit and take advantage of .... link below ===> http://kickinthetires.net/index.php...ter-teams-claim-to-have-found-laser-weakness/ ... and most common fans are lost in the understanding of it. Something about high end technology kind of kills the fun in the old fashioned cat/mouse games...

Even still... I'm fascinated by it!!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Make a rule... find a way to break a rule... this is awesome - and I'm sure it's accurate. No way it's by "chance" that so many teams have a dark color over that particular spot...

I'm absolutely AMAZED at the level of smarts that go into these cars. Somewhere... somebody... maybe over a beer... looked at someone and said... "You know, I think we can beat that laser thing." --- and the race was on.

Unfortunate part for NASCAR was that the "cheating" used to be stuff that a common man could understand -- thus identify with. Now... it's an advanced degree holder who finds a loophole in a computer algorithm to exploit and take advantage of .... link below ===> http://kickinthetires.net/index.php...ter-teams-claim-to-have-found-laser-weakness/ ... and most common fans are lost in the understanding of it. Something about high end technology kind of kills the fun in the old fashioned cat/mouse games...

Even still... I'm fascinated by it!!
I have no doubt they have been doing this since they started using the laser scanners. Have you ever been to the shops and see little "tricks" they have used since day one? I remember in the early days when they were playing with roof lines and angles of the windshield and back glass; this has been an ongoing "game" they play with the cars. Remember when you could see a car side when they were going down the straight? Or when they were having problems with the rear axle, why? Because they would heat the housing and bend it, this would put more of the rear of the car into the air for downforce; bending the housing would let them change the rear track, but it didn't bend the axle, it put some real stress on the axle. Anything they can do for an "advantage" and not get caught they figured would be "fair". We would call it "cheating" but they saw it as a competitive advantage, because anyone could do it, if they figured it out, they just didn't share to keep that advantage. All's fair in racing and nucleolar (?) bombs.
This is what makes racing fun.

Top Bottom