• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2018 Nascar Season Thread

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Just found this today, and it's kind of an interesting read, thought I'd share:

NASCAR legend Bill Elliott hits ‘everything but the lottery’ at Road America
Finishes 20th in his first NASCAR Xfinity start since 2005
August 25, 2018

Despite his day NASCAR Hall of Fame driver Bill Elliott could still manage his trademark smile Saturday at Road America.

Elliott, who last made a National Series start in the 2012 Firecracker 400 at Daytona, entered Saturday’s NASCAR Xfinity Johnsonville 180 in a one-off deal for GMS Racing. The 62-year old, who last wheeled a Xfinity car at Charlotte in 2005 in a race he failed to qualify for, started 23rd Saturday.

Prior to the race Elliott said that he hoped for a top 15 finish. He was there part of the time but in the final laps spun off the track. He was able to recover, as he did from an earlier spin, and raced his way from 28th to finish 20th.

NASCAR’s 16 time Most Popular driver could still smile at the end of a long hard race.

“I feel like I hit everything but the lottery, I mean it was a great day,” said Elliott. “I’d like to thank Xfinity, and all the guys and ISM Connect for everything they did for me here today. It was a heck of a lot of fun.

“I just felt like I needed more like through (Turns) 9 and 10 and the carousel to carry any speed through there. I just felt like I gave up too much in (Turn) 3, I wasn’t too bad in 5, 6, 7, 8. I got a little bit free in 11, all in all it was a good day.”

“I enjoyed it, I had a good time.”

A few weeks ago, Elliott was spotting for son Chase on the road course at Watkins Glen, a race where he saw his son score his first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup win. The GMS deal came about in part due to Chase’s suggestions. And Saturday, Chase returned the favor as one of the spotters for his dad.

“He didn’t say much,” dad said with a chuckle. “He didn’t help me enough. Obviously, he needs to do a better job, because next time I’m going to put him in the car.”

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like this promotion .... info from Jayski

In another once-in-a-lifetime moment fans will not want to miss, Darlington Raceway and Chevrolet are partnering to have all six generations of the manufacturers legendary Camaro pace the field prior to the green flag for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Bojangles' Southern 500 race on Sunday, Sept. 2.

Seven different Camaros will take to the high banks of the track Too Tough To Tame driven by the following NASCAR Hall of Famers and legends of the sport

1969 Camaro (First Gen) - driven by owner Rick Hendrick
1969 Camaro (First Gen) - driven by owner Richard Childress
1981 Camaro (Second Gen) - driven by Jeff Burton and owned by Mark Jones of Wallace, NC
1986 Camaro (Third Gen) - driven by Ray Evernham and owned by Tyler Grube of Darlington, SC
1993 Camaro (Fourth Gen) - driven by Ricky Craven and owned by Jim Ramsey of Darlington, SC
2011 Camaro (Fifth Gen) - driven by Ron Hornaday Jr. and owned by Josh Schmidt of Charlotte, NC
2017 Camaro (Sixth Gen) - driven by Ward Burton and owned by Paul Weatherford of Florence, SC

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm 1 & 2 are both First Generation Camaros, I wonder why?
Then it jumps 12 years to a 2nd Gen Camaro, and none of these cars are owned by the people driving them.
Surely one of those drivers has a collection of cars too, I wonder why none of them are owned by the people driving them.
I just seems a little odd to me.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
congrats to the Deuce .... a Penske win at Darlington has been a long time in coming .... the 42 faded at the end (again)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Defending Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series champion Martin Truex Jr. will race elsewhere in 2019.

Truex, a four-time winner this year, is in his fifth season with Furniture Row Racing. The Denver, Colorado-based team announced Tuesday that it will cease operations at the end of the 2018 NASCAR season.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2018/09/04/furniture-row-racing-cease-operations-2018-season/
That's a shame, that was a great team, Truex finally found his "home" and things were going great for them.
That bit about "we've climbed Everest" is BS, it simply got to expensive to stay competitive, and they don't want to compete at a lower level then they are now. And that's a shame, that was a great team, but it's also business, and to compete at that level takes a LOT of money, and the Furniture Row team just couldn't keep that level of spending up, something had to give, and it was ownership.
It is truly a sad time in racing, and I'm sorry to see that team go, but to stay at that level takes a lot of money.
Hopefully Truex and his crew chief will surface again, with another (different ) owner.
At least I really hope so.

Top Bottom