• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado Redesign

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My little dodge dakota. With just under 300,000 miles would not pull the camper my wife wanted. So we made a retirement investment. Happy with the silverado. And a happy wife !

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a Dakota before, what a little hot rod it was.
Had the 340 in it, 2WD and it would get up and haul butt.
Traded it in to get the S10 I had, that lasted to 110,000 the busted a main baring (4 cyl.) so sold it, got $2,500 for it as it was.
Guy took it, gave it to his kid after he dropped a 350 in it, lasted 2 months before kid wrapped it around a tree.
Kid was OK, truck was totaled.

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Was getting one of the free oil changes at the dealer. A mechanic was standing there waiting for his wife to pick him up. I asked him about which economy car i should get. He laughed, said the new trucks with the new computers will be the best choice. Driving under no load it will drop all the way to one cylinder. And the one cylinder that fires is random. Not always the same cylinder. Solves the problem of driving a beast Without needing the power.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Was getting one of the free oil changes at the dealer. A mechanic was standing there waiting for his wife to pick him up. I asked him about which economy car i should get. He laughed, said the new trucks with the new computers will be the best choice. Driving under no load it will drop all the way to one cylinder. And the one cylinder that fires is random. Not always the same cylinder. Solves the problem of driving a beast Without needing the power.
I know what it does. It fires certain times to keep the engine running smooth. In general, a harmonics solution. In the future they will run certain cylinders in an over lean condition for certain periods of time. In the end, you get 50% of the power from that cylinder for a short time.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Did he happen to tell you how much the new PU's run? As in $
Compared to a car?

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
copied from "pickup trucks.com"

Chevrolet's New Cylinder Deactivation System Is a Game-Changer
Posted by Mark Williams | May 18, 2018

By Chad Kirchner

During the reveal of the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 at the 2018 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Chevy said the new truck would have six engine options. Those are the 6.2-liter V-8, the 4.3-liter V-6, the new 2.7-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, the 3.0-liter turbo-diesel and two versions of the 5.3-liter V-8.

The two 5.3-liter options depend on which technology is used for engine management and cylinder deactivation. Chevrolet broke down the differences for auto journalists at a technical briefing Thursday in Milford, Mich., then allowed us to drive a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 equipped with the reengineered 5.3-liter V-8.

New Cylinder Deactivation System
The base 5.3-liter V-8 uses an active fuel management system that deactivates cylinders to conserve fuel. It's similar to the setup in the 2018 Silverado and can either run the truck on four or eight cylinders. The new setup, also on the 6.2-liter V-8, uses what Chevy is calling Dynamic Fuel Management. This technology can run on all eight cylinders or as few as one. But it's way more advanced than that. The oil control valves on the new DFM setup are located in the engine block and there is one for each cylinder. There are also two switching lifters for each cylinder, totaling 16. Building the oil control valves into the block shortens the distance required for the oil to travel and speeds up response time.

The firing pattern for the new engine remains the same: 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3. What is different is that the system can control which cylinder fires in the rotation. Chevrolet uses fractions to describe which mode the engine is in. For a basic example, 1/2 mode fires cylinders 8, 2, 5 and 3 during each cycle. That's the same as V-4 mode in the older active fuel management setup. It gets more complicated when fewer cylinders are required. In a 1/3-firing fraction, the engine has to cycle three complete times for each cylinder to fire once. On the first cycle, 7 and 5 fire. On the second cycle, it's 1, 2 and 4. On the third cycle, it's 8, 6 and 3. Eventually every cylinder fires, but the system can control individually which cylinders fire on which rotation.

And KBB says $36K - $47K for a LTZ

Last edited:
Top Bottom