• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3/4/2015 - Elio Motors Tech Talk V58 - Recent Frontal Crash Test Simulation

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: Comparably few mass market buyers would even notice the wording and for those that do EM will have the data to back it up.

With the Elio there is a basic assumption of risk. This is mitigated by
Anti-Lock, Stab. Control, 3 Air bags, Enclosed Chassis, etc. any biker
understands these elements, the general public relies on consumer
data & testing results. Elio understands the vulnerability aspects &
is doing the necessary things to create confidence for the public.
The proof will be in the real deal............:)

Tomg3rd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Goofyone- Thanks for helping to clarify. I have tried to explain before that crash testing is not required to sell the Elio. Not before they sell it- or after. Even regular automakers like Toyota release cars before "The Government" gets around to testing them. And of course being a small car with one door... Will it be as safe as a full sized 4 door sedan? Probably not. But safer and more comfortable/practical than my Goldwing- Absolutely!

Thomas Maule

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is my hope that the elio will get pushed around due to its small weight in a side impact, and not deform too much due to the roll cage... Its getting caught between a rock and a hard place that has me worried more than anything, if you know what I mean...

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is my hope that the elio will get pushed around due to its small weight in a side impact, and not deform too much due to the roll cage... Its getting caught between a rock and a hard place that has me worried more than anything, if you know what I mean...

Pretty sure with only one rear wheel giving resistance in the side impact senario she'll slide away, but I sure don't want to be the one to test that theory!:eek:

T-bone's are great on a grill, but VERY bad on the pavement.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The EM safety goals are not necessarily aimed at making this vehicle the safest vehicle on the road but instead safe enough that a good portion of the mass market will be willing to buy it instead of merely selling this vehicle to current and former motorcycle riders. Considering the safety ratings of most small to mid size vehicles are generally only mediocre it really should not be all that difficult for EM to engineer this vehicle to be at least as good as at protecting occupants as these somewhat comparable vehicles.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The EM safety goals are not necessarily aimed at making this vehicle the safest vehicle on the road but instead safe enough that a good portion of the mass market will be willing to buy it instead of merely selling this vehicle to current and former motorcycle riders.

I don't believe that there is any doubt that it will be the safest motorcycle on the market

mag44

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Roll over, one door , on fire or t-boned on the door side....makes one think about safety.
Need two doors or a sun roof for safety.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom