• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3/4/2015 - Elio Motors Tech Talk V58 - Recent Frontal Crash Test Simulation

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Roll over, one door , on fire or t-boned on the door side....makes one think about safety.
Need two doors or a sun roof for safety.
I've been at several accident scenes, doors frequently don't open due to the vehicle absorbing all the energy and throwing doors out of alignment, and the only ways out are either through windows or with jaws of life. In this regard, I think Elio might be safer as EMT's will have better access.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very interesting link. I especially found this part interesting:

The core of the Honda Insight chassis is a space-frame made up of extruded aluminum frame rails which meet at cast aluminum joints which is essentially the same engineering idea as that behind EM's steel box tube space-frame chassis design. The Elio simply uses its space-frame as the entire chassis thus avoiding the need for stressed body panel structures.

Almost as good as this:

[Broken External Image]

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been at several accident scenes, doors frequently don't open due to the vehicle absorbing all the energy and throwing doors out of alignment, and the only ways out are either through windows or with jaws of life. In this regard, I think Elio might be safer as EMT's will have better access.

I know you've all seen THIS one: (no jaws of life needed :D)

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, Title 49 of the Federal Code says Elio is a motorcycle.
That doesn't mean that each state they try to get that autocycle classification can't throw in a clause that prohibits autocycles from using the H.O.V. lanes without a passenger, which, for some folks with long commutes, was the attraction to Elio to begin with.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is my hope that the elio will get pushed around due to its small weight in a side impact, and not deform too much due to the roll cage... Its getting caught between a rock and a hard place that has me worried more than anything, if you know what I mean...

Dr. Dr. it hoits when I do this! (Dr.) it hoits when you do this? Yes, it hoits when I do this!
(Dr.) Then don't do this! :)

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was just glad to see a nice clear view of the rear frame construction and how the rear wheel was hung. As for the impact testing, it was pretty typical, however I did notice that as the engine rolled up, it appeared that the drivers feet were directed down and under it, (watch the video closely), which was either from the floor buckling or the engine compartment 'rolling in'.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
agree .... in the original test, the dash didn't get pushed back into the passenger compartment .... in the latest video, the top of the dash is pushed back, can't see the bottom

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
That doesn't mean that each state they try to get that autocycle classification can't throw in a clause that prohibits autocycles from using the H.O.V. lanes without a passenger, which, for some folks with long commutes, was the attraction to Elio to begin with.

I have seen many people think this however right now it is not possible for the states to do this as it would actually be against current Federal law, specifically U.S. Code Title 23, section 166. This law specifically says that states must allow motorcycles onto HOV lanes on federally funded highways, without charging them HOT toll charges, and specifically excepts motorcycles from the minimum occupancy rules.

(a) In General.—

(1) Authority of state agencies.— A State agency that has jurisdiction over the operation of a HOV facility shall establish the occupancy requirements of vehicles operating on the facility.

(2) Occupancy requirement.— Except as otherwise provided by this section, no fewer than two occupants per vehicle may be required for use of a HOV facility.

(b) Exceptions.—

(1) In general.— Notwithstanding the occupancy requirement of subsection (a)(2), the exceptions in paragraphs (2) through (5) shall apply with respect to a State agency operating a HOV facility.
(2) Motorcycles and bicycles.—
(A) In general.— Subject to subparagraph (B), the State agency shall allow motorcycles and bicycles to use the HOV facility.
(B) Safety exception.—
(i) In general.— A State agency may restrict use of the HOV facility by motorcycles or bicycles (or both) if the agency certifies to the Secretary that such use would create a safety hazard and the Secretary accepts the certification.
(ii) Acceptance of certification.— The Secretary may accept a certification under this subparagraph only after the Secretary publishes notice of the certification in the Federal Register and provides an opportunity for public comment.

(3) Public transportation vehicles.— The State agency may allow public transportation vehicles to use the HOV facility if the agency—
(A) establishes requirements for clearly identifying the vehicles; and
(B) establishes procedures for enforcing the restrictions on the use of the facility by the vehicles.

(4) High occupancy toll vehicles.— The State agency may allow vehicles not otherwise exempt pursuant to this subsection to use the HOV facility if the operators of the vehicles pay a toll charged by the agency for use of the facility and the agency—
(A) establishes a program that addresses how motorists can enroll and participate in the toll program;
(B) develops, manages, and maintains a system that will automatically collect the toll; and
(C) establishes policies and procedures to—
(i) manage the demand to use the facility by varying the toll amount that is charged; and
(ii) enforce violations of use of the facility.

(5) Low emission and energy-efficient vehicles.—
(A) Inherently low emission vehicle.— Before September 30, 2017, the State agency may allow vehicles that are certified as inherently low-emission vehicles pursuant to section 88.311–93 of title 40, Code of Federal Regulations (or successor regulations), and are labeled in accordance with section 88.312–93 of such title (or successor regulations), to use the HOV facility if the agency establishes procedures for enforcing the restrictions on the use of the facility by the vehicles.
(B) Other low emission and energy-efficient vehicles.— Before September 30, 2017, the State agency may allow vehicles certified as low emission and energy-efficient vehicles under subsection (e), and labeled in accordance with subsection (e), to use the HOV facility if the operators of the vehicles pay a toll charged by the agency for use of the facility and the agency—
(i) establishes a program that addresses the selection of vehicles under this paragraph; and
(ii) establishes procedures for enforcing the restrictions on the use of the facility by the vehicles.
(C) Amount of tolls.— Under this paragraph, a State agency may charge no toll or may charge a toll that is less than or equal to tolls charged under paragraph (4).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/23/166

The interesting thing to me about this section of law is that is says that the states "shall allow" motorcycles but only "may allow' public transportation vehicles. So states have to allow motorcycles regardless of people on board however it is optional whether they allow higher occupancy public transportation into the HOV lanes. o_O

Last edited:
Top Bottom